Author Topic: Stand Up World Tour  (Read 36941 times)

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stand Up World Tour
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 06:32:36 PM »
I'm surprised Nolan Martin wasn't on the list of key players, he has definetly proven himself. Who's gonna start a Women's Stand Up World Tour? I wanna play too. :)

I'm sure that you could compete for the local trialist spots like the guys are.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 06:36:34 PM »
Yes.   I hope its big and glassy.    15'+ and roping like a giant Jefferies Bay with airplane hanger barrels...   AHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D    Hopefully my sack shows up with me... ;D

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »
Not to worry.  From what I read there is a local trial contest or something like that for each contest so there should be local rippers at each contest in addition to the 16.

Awesome.  I can't wait to check out the Makaha event.  It's always inspiring to watch the top guys do what they do best.

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 06:38:49 PM »
Just because they haven't got photos yet doesn't mean they haven't been getting super deep on bombs.

Exactly, and I think the same goes for every spot to some extent.  There's always guys you never heard of or never seen who show up and KILL IT.  That's what I really want to see from this tour.  Don't get me wrong, all of those guys on the list are insane and inspiring, but when you have the same small number of guys doing every contest, it gives it more of an "exhibition" feel to it in my opinion.  I think any tour should give the up and comers a chance to hang with the big boys, whether that's through qualifiers, trials/preliminaries, or whatever.  I'd love to see this tour become something that young stand up paddlers could realistically aspire to.  If there's a clear path for them to one day get on it and do well, I think that will ultimately make the tour successful.  If the only way to get on the tour is to be hand picked by the committee, I just don't feel it'll help the sport become legitimized.  In addition to the big contests they've already chosen, they should also have a series of smaller contests specifically for surfers who aren't on the key player list to give them a shot to make it to one of the big venues.

Not to worry.  From what I read there is a local trial contest or something like that for each contest so there should be local rippers at each contest in addition to the 16.

It will be a total of 32

The top 16
8 alternates
4-locals from trials
4-wild cards (usually sponsor selected)

If I read this correctly anyway?.....'lol

The Stand Up World Tour will consist of a prestigious 32 man fleet made up of the following: An elite Top 16 athletes (decided on by the Committee listed below) An additional 8 athletes selected from an alternate list (again the decision finalized by the Committee) A final 8 athletes made up of 4 local trial entrants in each location and 4 wild cards The Committee The Committee was elected in April of 2009 by unanimous vote of the athletes involved in the Stand Up World Tour.

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 06:46:38 PM »
It will be a total of 32

The top 16
8 alternates
4-locals from trials
4-wild cards (usually sponsor selected)

That does sound pretty good.  I really hope this thing takes off and does extremely well.  It'd be awesome to see SUP contests with "Triple Crown" type promotion and hype.

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2009, 06:58:54 PM »
I agree warped!

I expect they will have a ranking system so if guys can aspire to the top 16 seeded staus.

In a perfect world I would like SUP contests do even more than the ASP tour. Have the elite top 32 like this and also have a lower qualifying tour like WQS. Also have big wave tour at places like Mav's, Dungeons and perhaps even a jaws or Waimea. Those would have to be one day events.

At the other end of the spectrum, also have lots of amateur contests. Have them divided into age brackets (like the old WSA) and also into long board and short board style divisions. and of course an open ocean racing tour.

Okay, I am getting ahead of myself here....lol.....but it COULD happen!!

SD Ryan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2009, 07:11:59 PM »
Interesting that there's been a half dozen or more comments about Laird on this thread, mostly complimenting his riding, and that Laird is largely recognized as one of the main reasons the sport has grown as big as it has a quickly as it has, yet he is completely ignored by this new 'tour'.  Unless I'm missing something...  I didn't see his name on any of the lists?  Seems like an issue of respect to me.  Like him or not, he has contributed a lot to our sport and most people consider him to be a solid rider.  Especially in heavier waves on SUP, including some of the stops on this 'tour'.  I'll reserve judgement until I hear their reasons why but it seems to me almost an insult to keep him out?

On the other hand, I applaud them for including Brian K on the list, even as an alternate. 

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2009, 07:16:08 PM »
I agree warped!

I expect they will have a ranking system so if guys can aspire to the top 16 seeded staus.

In a perfect world I would like SUP contests do even more than the ASP tour. Have the elite top 32 like this and also have a lower qualifying tour like WQS. Also have big wave tour at places like Mav's, Dungeons and perhaps even a jaws or Waimea. Those would have to be one day events.

At the other end of the spectrum, also have lots of amateur contests. Have them divided into age brackets (like the old WSA) and also into long board and short board style divisions. and of course an open ocean racing tour.

Okay, I am getting ahead of myself here....lol.....but it COULD happen!!

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  There's so much potential here.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2009, 07:21:21 PM »
I'm surprised Nolan Martin wasn't on the list of key players, he has definetly proven himself. Who's gonna start a Women's Stand Up World Tour? I wanna play too. :)

I agree .  I’d like to see a few venues for women/grom’s in the future.   I hope you will get a chance to compete for a spot at some of these events Candice (aka ‘that girl’).   :)

Bravo

• Rincon Status
  • bravellisphotography.com
    • View Profile
    • Brav Ellis Photography
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2009, 08:24:44 PM »
Interesting that there's been a half dozen or more comments about Laird on this thread, mostly complimenting his riding, and that Laird is largely recognized as one of the main reasons the sport has grown as big as it has a quickly as it has, yet he is completely ignored by this new 'tour'.  Unless I'm missing something...  I didn't see his name on any of the lists?  Seems like an issue of respect to me.  Like him or not, he has contributed a lot to our sport and most people consider him to be a solid rider.  Especially in heavier waves on SUP, including some of the stops on this 'tour'.  I'll reserve judgement until I hear their reasons why but it seems to me almost an insult to keep him out?

Laird does not like contest so I doubt he would compete even if he was on the invite list. 

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2009, 09:24:13 PM »

If anything it is a complement. They know he would not compete, he is beyond that, seriously. It is a PR thing, Laird is a brand, he has a publicest and is on a whole different level in regards to media and to maintain that value has to stick to that, national TV and print not limited to any sport. This comes from a good friend who is a neighbor and has heard the whole story.

watermanleague

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2009, 10:56:45 PM »
Thanks so much for everyone's input and comments - all your thoughts are being read and taken in. All very relevant points. Amongst the key recurring points, here is my feedback:
1) Judging - I agree with the general consensus regarding judging - it is important that the riders leading the charge for the events, also dictate what should be judged. These are all critical points that we are focusing on over the coming months with our Committee and the riders as a whole - we are also discussing interesting formats that will promote the most impressive riding and the most understandable and exciting format for the viewing public and the riders alike
2) Regarding conditions to be surfed in - the goal of the Tour is to showcase the outer limits of the sport and the most high performance riding by the very best in the world. This year we have Tahiti, Ocean Beach and Makaha. Next year we have additional contests planned as a minimum for Portugal, France and Barbados and are beginning to explore the prospects for Australia. We are also looking to expand the options for some of the more high profile big wave locations - more will follow
3) Regarding participants: as everyone I think is in agreement, Laird Hamilton is a phenomenal athlete and has done a great deal to raise the profile of the sport globally. The only reason his name is not in the mix is that he doesn't generally compete, so we focused on the long list of those who are lining up to take part. However, there is always scope for him to come down and make an appearance, and clearly, should he decide he does want to compete, he would receive a wildcard without a question. I agree with the comments about Nolan Martin and other equally qualified athletes - in Hawaii especially, the trials event will be critical and the majority of the wildcards will be awarded to the deserving melting pot of talented local athletes. Each event, we will be sure to give all eligible athletes full consideration. As with all these things, we have to start somewhere and as the Tour progresses, the ranking will determine itself.
4) The media from the events will be broad reaching and cover all platforms. From live webcasts, to television broadcasts on the major networks - keep an eye on www.standupworldtour.com for where and when you can catch the action as we lead up to the events.

Keep the comments coming and I will check back regularly to respond to any questions. Thanks to you all

Blane Chambers

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2009, 11:17:08 PM »
Ikaika Kalama   Ready for anything.

val

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2009, 11:54:08 PM »
Yeah, I think a lot of people have opinions about who should be on that tour...

This from the Waterman League website comments page, something about "that girl"  :D

dean darval    |72.234.55.xxx |2009-06-21 19:53:46  

Who voted for the commitee? I'm not disagreeing wi th who is on it, i think its
accurate, but the key players is kinda off. Just curious, what company has put
up the money for this commitee? And yeah, how can kainoa buprea be in the top,
don't get tha t at all, and what about that girl that beat all t he guys? She s
hould be on there too

politics as usual...  seems to come with any type of surf competition unfortunately.   It's not what you know its who you know.

cloclo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 12:44:47 AM »

2) Regarding conditions to be surfed in - the goal of the Tour is to showcase the outer limits of the sport and the most high performance riding by the very best in the world. This year we have Tahiti, Ocean Beach and Makaha. Next year we have additional contests planned as a minimum for Portugal, France and Barbados and are beginning to explore the prospects for Australia. We are also looking to expand the options for some of the more high profile big wave locations - more will follow

I agree with the comments about Nolan Martin and other equally qualified athletes - in Hawaii especially, the trials event will be critical and the majority of the wildcards will be awarded to the deserving melting pot of talented local athletes. Each event, we will be sure to give all eligible athletes full consideration. As with all these things, we have to start somewhere and as the Tour progresses, the ranking will determine itself.

Keep the comments coming and I will check back regularly to respond to any questions. Thanks to you all

Yes it has to start somewhere, for sure. And this is great, the sport need this.

But I think this list is not representative of the world sup. I mean there are only two european, no Brasilian, no Japonese (I don't even know if they are doing good, but it might be ?), not so many australians, etc...
It might be hard to choose, there are so many good riders from all over the world. The best thing is maybe doing a WQS across the world. And then you can do a real World Tour.
I know it is the begining and it's hard to organise but how can you make a world tour without a contest in OZ and Europe? (like you said it will improve, but even for the first year it has to be a real tour, unless it won't be siginificant).

Anyway I'm looking forward watching thoses guy ripping.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal