Author Topic: Tips needed for discretely fitting in the line up.  (Read 10377 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Tips needed for discretely fitting in the line up.
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 10:27:03 AM »
I appreciate all the advice on this thread.
Am not 6'7" at 280# (more like 5'10" and 185#), but would stand up to those lay-down stinkeyes if I could just advance to a proficient level of SUS'ing and feel more confident.
Problem is, on my Sunova "Creek" 9-1, in anything but very glassy conditions, I fall in alot and miss alot of waves. After 8 months, I'm still pretty unstable in chop. Granted, riding waves, I love it. But, it's definitely not a stability machine, nor was it advertised as such. I was hoping for both: stability and performance.
It makes hanging out in the lineup uncomfortable, so, I hang out to the sides and get the leftovers.

Until you can control your board on the wave and pull out of a wave when it belongs to someone else, you need to stay far away from everybody. The 9'1 Creek should be a very stable board for someone your size. Maybe some flatwater time will help you get used to it.

If that is your first board, you may have started too small. A lot of us started on boards around 10'6 x 32. Bigger boards are easier to learn on. Then you can transition to smaller and smaller boards.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:30:36 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2018, 08:10:21 PM »
Hi Mark

I live near Pismo and I'm referring to the Pismo Beach pier and reefs at Shell beach area.  These spots have gotten very crowded.  I usually surf Oceano dunes area but when it gets to big I head for the reefs. It's 1 hour north to Morro Bay and 1.5 hours south to Santa Barbara. I much prefer to surf close to home.

I have made a decision. I'm just going to surf the local reefs a lot more this winter. Crowds and attitudes is just the norm here now.   8)

Yeah, I feel you on this one.  Seems like Pismo has always been crowded, at least as long as I can remember.  From my memory, it's usually a lot of college kids from Cal Poly on shortboards. My buddies and I would head to Shell Beach to avoid the crowds, but sounds like that ain't possible anymore.  But if it's your break, then it's your break.  Familiarity and respect should help, no?

I often look at the cams down there on Surfline just to see how it's breaking and have noticed there's rarely anybody riding stand ups at the pier.  I only asked about MB/Cayucos b/c I've been out and seen a lot more older guys riding longboards and Sups in that area.     

If you want to see the ultimate shit show, check out the Pacifica cam on Surfline on a decent day.  I don't know how anybody has any fun or catches any waves.  Even on a weekday at 11am, it's stupid crowded.   
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Fanatic Allwave 9'10 x 33
Starboard Avanti 11'2 x 36
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 10:26:00 AM »
Somewhat related, the area in discussion.  I just saw this depressing pic the other day, which makes me glad I moved farther up the coast, it makes me feel sorry for the surfers I left behind when I moved.  However it does make it easier for the SUP surfers, but also to the chagrin of the proners, unless the surf is small when they aren't out.
New steps.
It takes a quiver to do that.

supthecreek

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2018, 04:32:57 PM »
socalgremmy, the performance foil in the rails, give all Sunova's a bit of tipsiness ... your problem may be corrected by your stance.
Feet too close to the rail, make for over correcting when you tip.

my stance:
Both feet close to center
One foot just forward of handle
One foot just behind the handle - toes turned slightly out

That gives me fore and aft control, as well as side to side

Close together means tips are not to dramatic and can be corrected with minimal movement.

socalgremmy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2018, 07:33:49 AM »
Thanks STC; I'll try that.

bluemarlin04

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2018, 05:10:00 PM »
I will offer what not to do.

I was surfing prone at a very remote outer reef. 

Three SUPs paddled out.  Two of them were on their knees cause they could not stand up in the chop because the wind was from the East.

All three were in over their head and got obliterated at the first set that came in when they were unprepared.

The spot is rocky, shallow, dangerous, and very far offshore.  They were in over their head surfing a spot where they should not have been.

They put other people in danger and would make others risk their life to assist should it have went further south.  luckily they paddled in on their own accord after that set.

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2018, 11:14:52 AM »
I will offer what not to do.

I was surfing prone at a very remote outer reef. 

Three SUPs paddled out.  Two of them were on their knees cause they could not stand up in the chop because the wind was from the East.

All three were in over their head and got obliterated at the first set that came in when they were unprepared.

The spot is rocky, shallow, dangerous, and very far offshore.  They were in over their head surfing a spot where they should not have been.

They put other people in danger and would make others risk their life to assist should it have went further south.  luckily they paddled in on their own accord after that set.

Life lession....The Ocean is a great teacher.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal