Author Topic: Leash Use.  (Read 63517 times)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leash Use.
« Reply #195 on: September 01, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »
I am stoked that this thread is leading to so many good ideas / discussions.

I will let all you "tech guys" come up with the next great leash system. 

My main goal is in the direction of just getting people to know what a leash is - and why they should use one.

Selling a board to a customer yesterday and when it came to talking about getting a leash - he said "why?"  I explained all the benefits - and he grabbed a manufacturer brochure that we had been looking at - flipped through it and said - "no one in these pictures is using one."
It took a bit more convincing - but he eventually saw the benefit and got a leash as well. 

This is the "problem" that I see as having the biggest impact.  If none of the manufacturers and magazine have photos of people using leashes ON FLAT WATER - then why would the "newbie" even think of it as a requirement? 
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 01, 2015, 12:53:55 PM »
This thread is good as it brings more awareness to many that visit this forum -> and by word of mouth.

Around here most stick very very close to shore and stay in very protected waters.  If there is any wind and waves they stay right next to the beach.  Hardly any wear leashes or PFDs as they feel their risk is very low in this environment.

Many have no desire to DW or even venture 1/4 mile away from land.  They just want to have a toy to play with when tanning with their kids and friends.  Most have inexpensive boards that come with a leash and paddle.  Only racers and those more serious own and use expensive carbon boards.

So definitely photos in brochures will help - as well as reports of fatalities - but if they see no need or risk -> they will continue to not wear PFDs and leashes.  There is no PFD policing where we are - so the only ones who wear safety gear are those that are concerned about their own personal safety.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 01, 2015, 03:19:20 PM »
So I came up with two belt designs that I like. One uses two velcro flaps and two open buckles. The velcro laps through the buckle and then back over itself to stick down like any standard leg leash. I did a long tongue so it's easy to grab a free end and pull. I used two short belts instead of one long one so there's always a flap close by. If you wanted to really be sure you could use three, but I wiggled around in the two-belt version for a while and it's easy to find a pull flap no matter what I do. The belt supports my weight with the velcro doubled over the loop, so I'm not worried about unexpected releases unless the flap gets pulled.

Second option is similar, using camlock buckles. There's a company that makes a two-inch web belt with a camlock buckle for ten bucks. I guess the consensus is that a knob on a rope is easy to find and pull. I'm going to make on and test it. I can't quite picture having a problem with the belt buckle moving out of position if the leash is attached to the belt positively, instead of just being looped. If that emerges as a problem the double buckle (two short belts hooked together) might be as effective a solution as it seems to be with the velcro belt.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 01, 2015, 03:32:39 PM »
I used the belt off kayak supply.  The free end of the belt buckle is pretty long.  A simple tug away from body opens the buckle and belt releases.

I like your idea with velcro though, I end up placing buckle near my back so my fat doesn't accidently open it ;D ;D

The velcro may be safer.  You could build a quick release into the leash as well.  I use the Dakine gun leashes with quick release. But I bet a better rig could be built.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2015, 08:49:59 AM »
true that re small old dams--i was tubing in boulder creek 35 years ago with a friend and he got sucked in below a small old dam--i was hemming and hawing about whether i should dive in to attempt to save him and, thankfully, he popped up, ok. scary

sadly that guy (a fellow NYer) a developed a nasty coke habit, with a lot of debt to bad guys, and was found a year after graduation stabbed on subway tracks, just down from the 86th st  lexington line platform. murder never solved. scary
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2015, 09:17:20 AM »
Whitewater kayakers carry throw ropes for those situations, maybe tubers should too!
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2015, 09:24:25 AM »
Tubers are mostly drunk frat boys or rednecks. Unlikely to carry anything more rational than a cooler in a tube. It's all fun until your run your feet under a snag. Don't ask how I know that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2015, 09:54:50 AM »
When kayaking a Class I river, I spend half my day helping stuck tubers. Funniest thing I ever saw was when a thunderstorm/squall hit and blew them all upstream while I sprinted downstream. You're pretty helpless in a tube.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2015, 01:20:43 PM »
i thought they used to be called filters--when a big tree falls into a river and its many branches serve to filter the river
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2015, 01:59:28 PM »
i thought they used to be called filters--when a big tree falls into a river and its many branches serve to filter the river

We've always called them "strainers" around here.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2015, 02:04:19 PM »
Unfortunately this is what we are dealing with in Canada.
A "regulation" that was written by people that have no idea what SUP is about.

Link:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-resources-menu-4139.htm

Quoted here:
Transport Canada, like the United States Coast Guard, classifies Stand Up Paddleboards as human powered vessels when they are being used for navigation. When being used within the surf zone for surfing activities these requirements are not in force. When undertaking a trip or circuit such as a group crossing or solo outing, this is considered navigation.

As human powered vessels, Stand Up Paddleboards are subject to all carriage requirements, including lifejackets. There must be one Canadian approved lifejacket or personal floatation device available on board and available for immediate use. There are many PFD options available for ease of use, such as waist-pack inflatables (a popular choice among competitive rowers, who are also short on space and require a broad range of movement) or low profile paddling vests.

While we have received many requests for the consideration of a leash in lieu of a PFD, Transport Canada does not recognize the leash/paddleboard combination as a floatation device. The department has received many inquiries from Stand Up Paddleboarders regarding Section 4 (Substitute Safety Equipment) of the Small Vessel Regulations. This part is intended to provide like-to-like exemptions, for example for police marine units to make use of tactical PFDs, or for small commercial charter vessels to carry high buoyancy PFDs in place of small vessel lifejackets.

Transport Canada supports leash use, but not as an alternative to a lifejacket or personal floatation device.

End Quote.

Also to note is that in Canada you legally have 2 options.
1) Wear a PFD and have a sounding devise.
2) Have a PFD on board for each person on board / have a sounding devise / and have 15 meters of buoyant heaving line. 

With either option you also must have a waterproof light if paddling within 30 minutes of sunrise / sunset, or in periods of limited visibility.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2015, 07:34:21 PM »
I read a bit of the posts on leash's and their use but I think having a leash is more convenience than a safety device. At least that's why it was originally created. These days I think it's more for the safety of anyone in the path of a loose board or for preventing that expensive board from landing up on the rocks. That and to help with the wave count as one isn't swimming after their board as much. Weak swimmers and those with limited experience in rough water may easily drown with or without a leash if they panic. I can imagine more then a few ways I could expire with a ankle leash in the water. Plus given the number of complains on the Zone about broken leashes they are not super reliable.

So really the issue is how good of a swimmer are you? Think you can swim the width of the Columbia River on a windy day? Yea? How about when you're a bit winded after trying to get into big swells and fall? No? What's your fallback plan? How long can you tread water before someone comes to your aid? Just how far and for how long can you keep you head above water with swells breaking everywhere. I won't mention water temp. I also won't mention the idea of tying a PFD to your deck as safety.

Water safety ALWAYS starts with making smart choices and being a good swimmer. Strong swimmer even better. Flotation is next. Not as easy to drown when you can keep your head above water. You can get away with not being a great swimmer or being out of shape if you can float. Staying connected to your board is down the list. It's a really good idea to stay with your board and a leash helps but you sure as shit better know how to swim and have flotation available as a backup. Lastly use the old tried and true buddy system. Keep an eye on each other out there which can help keep a bad situation from getting worse. But once someone sinks it hard to be of much help. You have to be able to keep that head above water.

Which leads me to ask; how may of us has practiced putting one of those waist PFD's that you've inflated on in the water?

And lastly if we are making the leash a "safety device" that prevents drowning. How many leash companies are going to want to take on that liability?

I think safe SUP'ing all starts with the person holding the board and paddle before they get wet. How capable are they getting back to shore without that board and paddle and are they even thinking that before heading out?

SUPer Oslo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • My Picasa albums
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: September 17, 2015, 11:15:25 AM »
Sorry - error
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:17:22 PM by SUPer Oslo »

marcioferrari

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 17, 2015, 11:35:50 AM »
Itīs DavidJohn on the video.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #209 on: September 17, 2015, 11:40:33 AM »
Scary video from TotalSUP:
http://www.totalsup.com/en/videos/item/613

Leashes saves lives - use it!

Not actually from TotalSUP. That's DJ...longtime zoner and SUP videographer extraordinaire.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27168.0.html
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal