Author Topic: Struggling with side chop on the C4 Vortice XP  (Read 7604 times)

boylos

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Struggling with side chop on the C4 Vortice XP
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 03:02:01 PM »
I'm 90 kgs (200lbs) and I feel that I'm close to the max weight for that board (in rough water).. I find that board pretty tippy..btw.. congrats on the weight loss..  :)

It is a great board but I think it's more suited to a lighter weight person or someone with better skills with tippy boards.. It's no good having a board that is frustrating for you.

Unfortunately there's not many good boards out there for bigger guys..  :-\ .. I reckon something like an F16 would be a better board for you.

Try and demo one and you'll see what I mean.

DJ

I've also spoken to guys who are lighter and have pretty good skills in last years Haleiwa Joe Race ,and they where struggling as well ..... yeh I realise that I'm on the limits for this board weight wise but I'm gonna stick with it and train more in conditions that I've got to work on. As when conditions are in my favour I have no problems at all .... and this board is a rocket! ;) ;D

Would love to have a go on the F16 DJ ..... but know one that I know has one .... plus there pretty expensive!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 04:01:46 PM »
My friend (Paul) has one and I think he's coming to Merimbula this year so you might get a chance then.

You and I have been paddling a long time now and if you and I are finding it hard now I don't see how sticking with it and training more will help very much.. I'll find out what an F16 will cost and PM you with some details.. I know just the right person to ask..  ;)

btw.. IMHO even a 14' Glide would be better suited to you at your weight than the Vortice and would be much more stable.. The AST version is a bargain price.

DJ

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »
You can always go with a custom board and have it tailored to your needs. Depending on where you order your board from a custom shouldn't cost any more that a board off the rack, of course if you go all crazy with color and carbon fiber it's gonna get expensive. If you think you want to go the custom route let me know I can hook it up.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 12:04:08 AM »
I got a Naish 17 for me & my wife got the Naish 14. The Naish 14 is about as fast as the XP in downwind conditions but its far more stable & thus usually faster over a run b/c it fatigues you less than the XP and I fall less. 

In all fairness the XP is faster than the 14 in flatwater conditions, but overall I find the Naish 14 is far more enjoyable  than the XP.

I have heard good things about the newer C4 but have not had a chance to try it.

boylos

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 12:15:19 PM »

Thanks for the offer guys ..... but I think I'll demo some boards over here and go from there.

I have tryed the Naish 14 only for a wee paddle ,and really can't comment on it's performance as I would like to have a go on one over a long distance in downwind conditions. But I must admit it is a lot more stable than the XP.

Hopefully when I'm in Hawaii this year I can try the new C4 V1..... and compare it to the XP for stablity.Also hope to try other boards as well especially the S.I.C F16 ! ;D

I'll be in Hawaii in September for the Halewia Joe Race ,and if someone is kind enough to let me have a paddle on one before the race .... that would be awesome! ;D ;D

Boylos

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 05:10:41 PM »

Thanks for the offer guys ..... but I think I'll demo some boards over here and go from there.

I have tryed the Naish 14 only for a wee paddle ,and really can't comment on it's performance as I would like to have a go on one over a long distance in downwind conditions. But I must admit it is a lot more stable than the XP.

Hopefully when I'm in Hawaii this year I can try the new C4 V1..... and compare it to the XP for stablity.Also hope to try other boards as well especially the S.I.C F16 ! ;D

I'll be in Hawaii in September for the Halewia Joe Race ,and if someone is kind enough to let me have a paddle on one before the race .... that would be awesome! ;D ;D

Boylos

Boylos shoot me a private message when you are heading over to Oahu and I can take you on a run and you can try the Naish 14.

boylos

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 07:47:34 PM »

Boylos

Boylos shoot me a private message when you are heading over to Oahu and I can take you on a run and you can try the Naish 14.

Cheers for that I'll take you up on that offer ,I'll be in touch closer to the date.
Are you doing the race?

Boylos

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 06:02:16 PM »
Not sure.  Its a short race and not much of a downwinder.  If the winds are up the better downwind runs are on the south shore.

banzai

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 08:38:56 PM »
Have you tried changing your stance? Are your feet straight across the board? Try shifting your feet, when paddling on the left place your right foot slightly ahead of your left foot and left foot forward when paddling the right side.

boylos

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 11:38:50 PM »
Have you tried changing your stance? Are your feet straight across the board? Try shifting your feet, when paddling on the left place your right foot slightly ahead of your left foot and left foot forward when paddling the right side.

Yes my feet are straight across the board ......thanks for the tip I'll try that next time when I'm paddling

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal