Author Topic: Axis Downwind Boards - inverse relationship of length/volume and width  (Read 13156 times)

Foil_Dreamer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Anyone try one of these Axis DW boards yet? Looking at the 8 footer for flatwater starts, onshore non breaking windswell, and light wind winging.

Currently have the aviator elite 7'3" with a gofoil monster 2600 front, 23 inch long tail, and 70 cm V2 mast. I think I am getting closer (just switched from an aluminum mast/fuse setup with compisite 2200 cm2 wing), but I am wondering if moving to longer and skinnier will move the curve for me a bit.

Also curious how the carbon construction holds up. TEC from Sunova seems a bit susceptible to dings.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm using the DW boards and the hybrid 6'4 as well. I can flat water paddle up the 6'4 with the 1310 and the 8' is pretty easy to pop up onto while the 8'6 is easy enough for my first time customers to be able to pop up on their first session. The carbon wrap is pretty durable but I keep it in the bag when in the truck.

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm using the DW boards and the hybrid 6'4 as well. I can flat water paddle up the 6'4 with the 1310 and the 8' is pretty easy to pop up onto while the 8'6 is easy enough for my first time customers to be able to pop up on their first session. The carbon wrap is pretty durable but I keep it in the bag when in the truck.

Wow, do I understand correctly that you have customers flat water paddling foiling on their first day with the 8'6" and 1310? These are people who I assume already have strong paddling skills?

I had generally understood that many experienced water people considered flat water paddle ups the hardest thing they had ever done. Is the new equipment so good that it can be learned in a day?

It's something I aspire to do and was ready for at least a season to get in shape and acquire the technique. You are getting my hopes up that it can learned rapidly with the right equipment.

How much harder is it to paddle up the Hybrid? Is there any reason you paddle up the hybrid other than the challenge?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I wouldn't say it's easy. I don't think I could do it for example. But with the proper equipment and a lot of foil pumping skill, yes you can learn to paddle up day 1.

You don't have to paddle those huge foils very fast. You do have to know how to pump them so they don't stall.

Foil_Dreamer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Looks like it's a two or three month wait for these. The inverse width to length makes more sense to me now. Hopefully more vids will show up on youtube of these boards and other 8' plus skinnys doing flatwater, mini bump onshore paddle ups, and lightwind winging. Maybe the 8'6" is the winner if it does it all. Don't mind working for this but the easier the better at this point in mellow conditions.

Anyone know about other more available DW boards that go skinnier as they get longer?

* Recent Posts

post Re: I needed that! (El Salvador)
[Travel, Trips, Destinations]
surfafrica
Today at 10:31:42 AM
post Re: Problems (?) Traveling with SUP or Surfboard Domestically 9' or Less
surfafrica
Today at 10:27:32 AM
post Re: Problems (?) Traveling with SUP or Surfboard Domestically 9' or Less
Caribsurf