Author Topic: Vunderfoil  (Read 11351 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Vunderfoil
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2022, 01:19:30 PM »
You may have seen this video, I doubt you'll be printing multi-color santas but the ability to control up to 16 filament choices automatically and precisely select where each will be used in the slicer is simply insane. I'm wrestling with getting a Babu Labs printer for Maui. It's silly to do that, but what the fuck. Some of the stuff I print has extensive support. Using something like Polycarbonate for support guarantees you'll spend a lot of time with an exacto and sandpaper. Printing support filament, either breakaway or soluble, is an incredible feature. For that matter switching out filaments to take advantage of other mechanical properties would be interesting.

For anyone wondering why the Bambu Labs printer is so exciting when they can print perfectly well with their 200-buck Creality Ender, take a look at the level of tech in this printer. Fucking amazing. I'm surprised that the general 3D print world isn't going nuts over this, but I know a lot of people have spent a lot of time optimizing what they have. It's a Ford 1990 F150 vs Cybertruck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyS_1TZ9OPI

Yes, what a device!  It really blends the whole development process into one seamless thing.  The AMS is killer as well.  It is really well sealed (actually hard to open) so no humidity issues for spools.  Plus if a spool runs out it hot switches straight to the next.  Great suggestion buddy!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2022, 05:19:16 PM »
I should have realized you'd have the AMS since that's the only one they sell directly right now. I should have known from your wing pictures since there is clearly another color under the wing for the supports. I don't know if you're using support filament, but if you aren't, you should. I breaks away cleanly. You can even get support filament that dissolves in alcohol, as it does with my ancient but very high res SLA printer. 

I bought my Bambu on Kickstarter, cheaply, but it doesn't have AMS, though I can semi-manually switch filaments in mid-stream. The one I just bought for Maui has the four-spool AMS included, as yours undoubtedly does. What blows me away is that they have multiple AMS boxes integrated seamlessly. I surely don't need that, but the ability to retrofit, even with my Kickstarter version, shows the level of design expertise. I can add AMS to mine as a bolt-on modification that is remarkably cheap.

My Prusa here in Maui is making a mess of print jobs, with blobs and hickeys everywhere. Part of the problem is the cheap-ass SD cards I was using. There's really no such thing as a curve for most printers, and most cad software. It's all polygons. The printer stores the next twenty or so sections of the polygon to be printed in a queue. If the queue runs out the printer pauses, but the filament is still under compression so a blob comes out of the print head. A slow SD card can deplete the queue if the print includes continuous curves at high resolution. So I got better SD cards and I still had some. It turns out that the feature that lets the printer resume after a power outage has to write the queue to the card frequently. So I turned that off and now my prints are nearly half as good as the Bambu Lab prints. So yay, success, only took me two days to figure out a problem that will never cost you failed prints or time (other than the time required to read my whining).

I do have the quite expensive AMS for my Prusa printer. It totally sucks donkey dicks. I spent almost a week trying to get it to work and the only reason I didn't throw it against a wall is that it was so fucking expensive. It's sitting in it's shipping package under my Prusa, waiting for me to try again. Not happening. After seeing how the Bambu Labs AMS works it's clear to me that this thing does not have the tech to pull this off.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 05:27:19 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2022, 07:16:03 PM »
another worthwhile Bambu AMS video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyS_1TZ9OPI
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2022, 12:35:05 AM »
Yeah, the AMS is so cool.  The maths are strong with these Bambuers.  That yellow stuff in my image above is Bambu's "green" support filament.  I am stoked that you have the AMS coming so we can work out best practices for foils.  Foils actually bring some interesting hurdles.  This printer is insanely smooth on vertical or high degree surfaces.  It is also perfect on horizontal.  It is the least smooth on near horizontal (but not horizontal) curved surfaces.  You can get great results still but with really fine settings for everything and a lot of support.  That takes time, however.  The printer needs to change filament a lot and needs to purge the last filament.  This does lead to really scary looking little gremlins that come out of the waste chute.  Aside: I would strongly suggest leaving a few of those in choice locations around the home (under pillow, in a mug, etc) to terrorize the unsuspecting :).  I really need to work on niceness.  Break Aside: The other complication is that tail foils hate to stand still when vertical, even in parts.  They are so thin.  The do great until they get tall and then the prints get whacky.  We need to work out the best balance of brim, raft and support to make that work well.  Also the release stuff works best on coarse prints but wants to hold on really smooth surfaces.  There are a lot of settings there that I haven't explored yet.  Tech support says, "have fun to try, joy of printing is love to explore!"

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2022, 01:39:40 AM »
Here is a reverse engineer of an Axis tail to get the pedestal right for tails.  I started with a scan, matched the profile and outline and tugged a little.  I will set the height and incidence  and then run the top contours off of each individual foil so, this will act as our start template.  I printed this draft with super light infill (essentially hollow) in PA-CF, but even so, there is no way I can flex it by hand.  Ooooh! my tenderloin is done!
Happy X-mas guys!

PS: The outline I used is NACA 24, the profile is the lower half of NACA 12.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2022, 07:49:37 AM »
That's very cool, I have a KD tail I want to try (carved out of G10) and I'm planning to do that myself. I need to figure out the contour of the tail, but that's not too hard.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
H105
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2022, 04:16:35 PM »
I like the looks of this foil. I'll see if I can get the .dat file for it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2022, 04:24:14 PM »
I've been doing a lot of digging and reading. The idea of plugging the mast into the rear of the main wing has a lot more merit than just eliminating a structural fuselage. If the mast came into the entire wing it would create intersection drag. Not a huge issue but nice to avoid. Staggering the mast back towards the rear of the wing and adding a little fairing area behind the actual chord of the wing should eliminate most of that drag. The biggest issue is having enough material so the junction is strong, but I'm reasonably certain we can do that.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2022, 10:33:49 PM »
The NACA 63-412 profil has been used a lot in the past.
http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/details?airfoil=n63412-il

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM