Author Topic: Foil screw wing nuts?  (Read 5299 times)

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Foil screw wing nuts?
« on: September 20, 2020, 01:53:08 AM »
I saw a video and the guy had what looked like a wing nut setup holding the mast to the board. I don’t have any more details or info so I’m wondering if anyone knows what this setup is or where he got it from?  It’s not something I’d want to use regularly but for a new foil or board setup, would be nice to be able to adjust without tools in the water.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil screw wing nuts?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 08:09:49 AM »
This isn’t exactly what you’re looking for but it’ll get you at least halfway there. Foilmounts wizard hat hardware.

https://foilmount.com/collections/frontpage/products/wizardhat-universal-hardware-set

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 10:37:58 AM »
Well dang, I have a couple sets of those WizardHats, and a new board in production, and finding some wing nuts (and a foil leash..lol) to fit those is a great idea to use temporarily for making subtle placement adjustments out in the lineup if need be...instead of paddling in all the time like I've done in the past.

Cool idea...thanks!!
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 10:44:42 AM »
Thanks, had forgotten about those. There is such a thing as a wing screw, available in inch and metric sizes. But if your foil uses flat head countersunk screws, you’d need some sort of conical washer of sorts.

I’ll attach a pic from the video I saw. Looks like wing screws (or long setscrews with wingnuts) and flat washers.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 02:00:15 PM »
instead of paddling in all the time like I've done in the past.

I keep a tool in my wetsuit so I can adjust since I've been switching wings a lot and trying to dial in the sweet spot. It's really hard to adjust in the water. Much easier to just do it on the sand. Having the tool in my suit saves me a bit of a walk when I get to the sand at least.

MLB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 05:08:30 PM »
Those look like nice flesh rippers to me.  :o

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 06:32:54 PM »

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 06:50:17 PM »
Something like that would be nice but those things are huge. ~90 mm long...nearly 4” long and probably quite expensive. Gives me an idea though.

And, yeah, the simple solution is to carry a tool. But, knowing my luck, I’ll have it in my pocket, crash, then get stabbed by it.  :o

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 01:26:51 AM »
Norcom, 2 things, drag, yes. And also anything with enough leverage will be annoying since it will hit the mast when turned so that defeats the quick setup part. Even T-handles hit a lot.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 09:48:45 AM »
I hate t-handle wrenches! :o

The nice thing about those kind of levers is when they are released, the handle is upright and can be spun around without hitting the mast. But these are just much too large, unfortunately.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »
I'm confused. Is there anything simpler than bolting a foil plate to a board? And all the plates I've seen are countersunk, so unless you have a cone washer they aren't being well located with anything other than the right length flat head countersunk screws. Why is this an issue???

Perhaps it's just because I don't use straps, but the idea of adjusting foil position in the water sounds deep into WTF for? territory to me. I push my foil all the way to the front on every board I've used. I guess I might fart around a bit with location if I was wedded to straps, but nope.

I made a few combo L handle torx drives with T40 on the short side and T30 on the long side to have a pocket wrench that would fit everything on my foil and board. A nice little bit of open purge stainless TIG welding. I made four of them. there must be at least one of them still around in my truck somewhere. I probably need to make them like I buy reading glasses--by the gross.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:14:59 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 07:08:22 PM »
I think the wing-nuts are being proposed more as a temporary solution- a quick and easy way to adjust mast position in the wateri order to dial in a new board or wing.  For sure it is not a good permanent way to go.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:52:11 PM by all~wet »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 10:02:02 PM »

Perhaps it's just because I don't use straps, but the idea of adjusting foil position in the water sounds deep into WTF for? territory to me. I push my foil all the way to the front on every board I've used. I guess I might fart around a bit with location if I was wedded to straps, but nope.

Prone 4’8” in the surf. I’ve ridden naish, lift and axis. Every brand and every wing likes a different position. Same board. Took me three waves and two adjustments to dial in my most recent wing. I’m getting better at it.

I think you wingding guys just slam it forward and go from there.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 09:26:04 AM »
Yup, and of course I didn't think of that. Tuning a prone board is like tuning a wing or SUP board with straps. On a 4'8" board you don't have a lot of options about where to put your feet. Makes perfect sense--thanks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 01:17:30 AM »
Has anyone been curious enough to mark the COL on each of their front wings, translate it to where it is on the board and see where it is in relation to their feet - and if it is in roughly the same spot for each of the wings?  I want to - but I'm too busy foiling.  If there is a correlation, it would make setting up boards/foils easier.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal