Author Topic: Value of older SUPs  (Read 92138 times)

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Value of older SUPs
« on: September 08, 2019, 09:35:57 AM »
Curious to what you guys are seeing or think about the value of an older SUP (5-10 years old).  I am thinking about picking up an inexpensive surf sup to occasionally join my sup surfing friends.  I am seeing some older sups ie 2012 sups listed at 600-900. 

Wonder what is a reasonable price for something that old?  Plus I am assuming that the epoxy sandwich boards probably last longer than the hand layed up ones do.

Thanks for your thoughts here.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Value of older SUPs
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 10:25:37 AM »
A 2 year old board should be $900.

5 year old board much, much less.  Could probably even find some for $300. 

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 10:38:44 AM »
Fats...  The good news -almost surely somebody here will know the characteristics and quality of anything you might find on CL or even the classifieds here, so make sure you check before you rush head-long into disappointment.  Here's the text of the type you want to avoid from my local CL...

1 year old Stand Up Paddleboard. Sadly only used 3x. Thought I would have more time, I was wrong. Like new.

Included in price is:
Paddleboard: $1450.00
Paddle: $195.00
Paddle Buddy Paddle Holder: $38.99
Thule Roof Rack: $238.84
Ceiling Rack to hold Paddleboard.
Two Life Jackets: $149.92
Paddleboard Bag: $139.00
Paddleboard Leash: $34.99

Total: $2246.74

All in almost Brand New Condition. Literally used 3x.
My lack of time your gain!

He is still asking over $1k ...heading into Fall.  I'd bet, at 1/2 his ask, he'd still have it in 2020.

The brand is one almost never mentioned here in the few years I have been here   But, it is highly promoted.  It seems quality of design and construction is the inverse of the advertising budget.  Also make sure you define your goals/needs, skills and weight ratios.  Good hunting. It's a great sport.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 12:22:08 PM »
FF, If a board is build really well and it's known with a proven track record (the actual model), it's worth paying a little more for an older one. Naish, Coreban, Starboard, Sunova, Blue Planet, Infinity but not all models have the same build. The top of the line Naish sups hold their value, because the are bulletproof and still look new after 10 years. I have one. Are they the best performance boards? No, but they do perform well. If you don't mind a little yellowing epoxy, there are some good deals out there. Here are a few that jumped out to me. I know a few of you Zoner's are selling your 'dry boards', so if they didn't make my "current good deal list (my opinion) don't get pissed! Fatfish is a SanO regular and these are boards I feel might interest him. 
Current deals on OC CL

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 02:09:58 PM »
Used SUPs nowadays are getting about 35-40% of their original pricing....I sold a couple custom SUPs that were about 5 years old, and I was happy to get $550 for one, and $500 of the other.

Used foil boards are even worse. Basically gave away a 6 month old foil board in excellent condition for $450, just because there's no market for them much anymore around here...as we're seeing less and less SUP foilers getting into the sport than those leaving it unfortunately.  :(

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »
The value also depends on where you’re located. I’ve bought several boards in SoCal for under $500 that were close to new, prototypes, or very lightly used and not that old. Here in New England now, the market is much less flooded and people ask too much for boards and they don’t sell. If they’re priced right, they’ll go quick. Overall, value and used prices are coming down everywhere. Three months ago I bought a 1 year old carbon 18’6 unlimited for $500.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 04:59:28 PM »
The value also depends on where you’re located. I’ve bought several boards in SoCal for under $500 that were close to new, prototypes, or very lightly used and not that old. Here in New England now, the market is much less flooded and people ask too much for boards and they don’t sell. If they’re priced right, they’ll go quick. Overall, value and used prices are coming down everywhere. Three months ago I bought a 1 year old carbon 18’6 unlimited for $500.

Agreed, the used market in the NE kinda sucks. I was lucky to get my NSP Race for $600. Most of the time it's low-quality inflatables or something expensive. Even finding a reasonably priced Bic takes work.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 08:36:01 PM »
Thanks everyone for your feedback here.

TD thanks for your prescreened list.  That Hobie is in my price range but looks like too much work at 96L.  The Starboard looks interesting, I may follow up on that one.

My bday is coming up so may be surprising myself with a new (used) board.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 10:01:27 PM »
Thanks everyone for your feedback here.

TD thanks for your prescreened list.  That Hobie is in my price range but looks like too much work at 96L.  The Starboard looks interesting, I may follow up on that one.

My bday is coming up so may be surprising myself with a new (used) board.
Here are a few more within an hours drive and a little more volume. I like the Hammerhead. It looks like my L41 or an Infinity RNB.
It's not overhead to me!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 08:17:27 PM »
That Hobie in Carlsbad looks like a good deal. Innegra and carbon, with hexatraction.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 08:28:17 AM »
Lotta sweet rides (used) in this post. Amazing how many good boards are way easier to score used cheaper these days.
I scored this gem off Craig's List for $650 US. Offered $500 and the seller said $650....SOLD!! It was 2 miles from my house.  8)
Quite worth every penny.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:30:36 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 09:04:58 AM »
for performance surf sups on the east coast- for those still doing it- I feel like everyone kinda already knows each other!

I bought my last board from LBSup when I saw it on Craigslist and just went to his house and put it on my car!

Theres that few boards out there....not making them rare and in demand....actually just meaning theres so little market.

I generally am always hunting.  At this point however I only buy a board if I know Im ok selling it for 200 bucks which is the 'screw it its only 200' price i have found brings people who wouldn't have normally even been in the market.

I have 2 boards now i rarely; if ever use and wont sell them just because netting a few hundred and dealing with the sales process vs having them sit for a rainy day isnt worth it to me.

I do find it hilarious the people that paid 1700 for a board who then dont use it, dont like SUP that then list it for 1500.  The amount of those types of ads on CL and Letgo is hilarious

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 09:19:52 AM »
and when it's a jimmy styx racerwavekook model it's even funnier!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 11:24:52 AM »
I've got a pile of boards that are good boards but probably not worth much on CL. At some point I'll morph them into something else useful. I've peeled and re-shaped before. EPS short and long boards are popular now. There is enough foam in my unlimiteds to probably cut about a dozen ;D   
It's not overhead to me!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 09:34:17 AM »
Surfer I know asked me to pass this along. He told me he paid 2k and the resale price is negotiable. Looks like a killer board w/all the extras. Local pickup only here in NJ
All carbon
Brand new bag
Paddle included
Stock fins

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:38:39 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal