Author Topic: went from werner nitro M to rip stick 89  (Read 6749 times)

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
went from werner nitro M to rip stick 89
« on: February 27, 2016, 08:39:35 AM »
i only sus and just recently jumped down a board size from 9' hero to 8' hyper nut. huge part of learning to balance and catch waves on short board is the paddle. first i played with the length and then bought a smaller paddle, the rip stick 89. i am surprised at what a difference this paddle makes. all of the technique to turn and use shorts strokes are made easier and cleaner. i dont pull muy self of balance as much. also my board, being so short, has a terminal velocity when paddling so the extra blade just tired and strained my shoulders. lower swing weight helps to. i got the two piece and really like being able to adjust it on the water to conditions, an inch longer for long paddles out to the break and small mushier waves and shorter for steep, big fast ones.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

captain twang

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: went from werner nitro M to rip stick 89
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 10:56:04 AM »
thanx for the info. i am looking  very much forward to buy  a ripstick as well. for choppy northsea stuff.

PJBrendel

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 01:30:53 PM »
Glad to hear you're liking the Rip Stick. We have three Werner paddles and they have held up really well in the surf. I'm currently using the Werner Fuse 110 sq in and was wondering if the Rip Stick 89 would be too small for my 200 lb body. Guess I could learn how to paddle faster. I really like that Werner paddles are made in the USA. I do not know if that is currently true for any other brands

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 07:44:07 AM »
I'm 180lbs, and just moved from the Spanker 106 to the Rip Stick 89.  I, also, was concerned about losing the surface area and torque, but the Rip Stick seems better in every way. I didn't notice the loss of any power. I haven't fully digested the amount of performance gain for seemingly a lot less effort. The paddle is light, and powerful, I think there is some engineering magic in that blade.

NXLVL

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 08:23:57 AM »
the look on my face says it all. rippin with my "ripstick." best SUS paddle I've ever owned! thnx Chill

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 08:43:14 AM »
questions:

can the shaft connections be made with hot glue? or does werner require epoxy?

can the adjustable handle be paired with the rip stick?

can a regular handle be glued into the adjustable shaft, in case one wants to a glued fixed length?

is the travel (3 piece shaft) any good? where can one view pictures/video of the shaft?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 08:38:27 AM »
i too was a bit worried about loss of power, am 6'2", 210 lbs, but it is way better and easier. it seems counter intuitive, but i can paddle faster, turn faster and catch more waves with way less effort.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

PJBrendel

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 03:20:05 PM »
Thanks Eastbound.  I'm sure I'll be adding a Rip Stick to my paddle quiver sometime during the summer.  We've really put our Werner paddles through a lot and I'm always impressed with how well they hold up. Just picked up two more Nitro paddles for the family.  Usually don't see them marked down but they changed that line a bit so I think the dealer I got them from is getting in the the new models soon.

LBH20

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 04:04:39 PM »
I just took my Werner 89 Rip Stick out for the first time this am. I came from a Quick Blade Kahana 90. My impression, it's a really great paddle for SUS'ing! The shape of that blade is really well designed. Even on ridiculously super late, last minute take offs, I was able to easily catch any wave, with perfect control. My Quick blade is good, very good. But, the Rip Stick has now become my primary paddle, no doubt about it.
9'5" 2014 Naish Mana GS
8'8" 2014 Slingshot Rant
8'5" 2014 Naish Mana GT
8'8" 2016 JP Surf Wide Body Pro
8'8" 2016 Starboard Airborn Wide Point

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal