Author Topic: BOP 2014 - goodbye Doheny... good or bad?  (Read 28440 times)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
BOP 2014 - goodbye Doheny... good or bad?
« on: January 30, 2014, 06:48:49 PM »
http://www.supracer.com/2014-battle-of-the-paddle-salt-creek/

What's your thought on the change?  Part of me is bummed, part of me is excited.  Could really be interesting if we get some swell.  Also the long course could get longer or just take on a new course entirely?

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: BOP 2014 - goodbye Doheny... good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:48:18 PM »
Doheny had such a nice arena like atmosphere to it. Not sure how Salt Creek will be. I was looking forward to having a second crack at the elite course after doing it last year and knowing how to train for it. Now it's virgin time again. The waves at Salt Creek look less forgiving too.

liquidsticks

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 08:55:29 PM »
Dick DeBoer said the distance course will head north to Laguna's main beach...pretty cool.  But that incoming on raceboards for lap changes will be epic carnage with swell for sure.  Thanks for posting John, really cool info.
8'2 Infinity Carver II
14 Infinity Raceboard
Fenn Swordfish

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:23:32 PM »
Waves at Doheny vs Salt Creek are night and day different. Salt Creek is beautiful though.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »
Should be interesting. I usually rent Capobeachboy's place which overlooks it. I wonder how they'll move all that stuff down there. The funicular?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 09:39:25 PM »
Too funny. Salt Creek locals generally despise Sups. The surf gets way gnarlier than Doheny, to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:22:02 AM »
I guess we’ll have to wait and see.  On one end this will add some excitement if the swell is up.  The flip side (assuming the swell IS up that weekend) is this could be very dangerous for those competitors who are not surfers, plus that very fact could make it dangerous for everyone else.  Add in that race boards are not really designed to be surfed on.  For the small # of unlimiteds this will make things REALLY interesting.  The possible added danger might make things exciting but is it fair for the racers who didn’t take up SUP racing for the thrill of risk?

On a separate note, is there any link as to what exactly State Parks demands are?  I’m curious both for the demands and what the logic behind them is.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:49:53 AM by surf4food »

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:51:41 AM »
Looking forward to the fun!
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 08:54:18 AM »
Though there is one big question mark/problem: The new dates for the 2014 Battle of the Paddle now clash directly with the Stand Up World Series Finals @ Turtle Bay, one of the other major stops on the SUP racing calendar. I know a lot of the World Series regulars had penciled in Oahu for the first week of October, so they won’t be too stoked with these new dates for the BOP.

I hope they can get this worked out.

Sup4fun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 08:56:04 AM »
I for sure agree with Surf4food's comments....

I've been participating on the BOP for 3 years now (OpenRace) and the waves at Doheny are perfect for that type of race .... Those race boards are not made for "surfing waves".

I for sure will go there .... and "SUP surf" those days during the race intervals ... without the locals bitching about SUPs ! ;-)
But I will wait and see how the races go.   

Me too would like to read about what were the "demands" that were made by the State Parks ... as I wonder if those demands may have something to do with the local surfing groups.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 09:20:05 AM »
We will be there no matter what.  Went last year for the first time and had a blast.
Its a great event, both as a spectator and a participant.  Salt Creek will have its issues, the only really negative one will be the walk up and down the hill to the parking lot.  

Other factors-
-Not as protected as Doheny
-Beach starts can be timed between sets if there is a swell
-Elite course can be set with turn buoy in the channel area (I will miss the hammer turn)
-Distance race north will be different. Nice to have wind at my back on the return.

Things that won't be different-
Broken boards (just a lot more of them at Salt Creek) and lots of puncture wounds and fin cuts in boards, which is no different than Doheny.
Lots of people and fun!
And Hopefully- KONA Brewing Co.

Salt Creek Benefit-
-Being able to SUS at a spot very unfriendly to SUP
-It won't be any different than Doheny.  Prone surfers won't be able to deal with the number of SUP's having fun between and during races.
-However, even if its small, the waves won't be friendly to race boards or novice SUS'ers.

But it will be fun!
Bring it on!

I suspect the Turtle Bay event will move its date.  Pro sponsors get very little exposure at Turtle Bay.  How many people had fluorescent green 404 hats on last year? I suspect major sponsors will want their racers at BOP.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 09:28:36 AM »
Overall? Bad Idea.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 09:31:49 AM »
I'm betting they'll switch back to Doho for 2015 and thereafter.

It'll be really interesting if there's a big swell at Salt Creek.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:08:03 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 10:08:12 AM »
I am sure they will receive us with open arms.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »
Wish I had made it out for one before the change.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Last years SUPathon I did get worried about someone getting injured in the pounding beach break and we don't have anywhere near the crowd of BOP.
We all have to decide for ourselves if the conditions are something we feel comfortable facing but as an organizer you have to wonder what is too much and when to call it. Sounds like the change of venue is much more likely to possibly force a postponement or cancellation if conditions go crazy. No question the waves add to the fun factor both for participating and viewing but if there is carnage and someone gets seriously hurt there will be a lot of second guessing.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:33:53 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal