Author Topic: Nice today?  (Read 4036 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Nice today?
« on: February 12, 2013, 04:15:40 PM »
I had a conference at...Phil's BBQ in San Diego and a meeting in Carlsbad this morning at the police gun range.  In between I drove past Ponto and San Elijo.  It looked ...well... fantastic. Head plus and no wind.  Pipes and the reef were packed.  Just tell me it was winter perfect and I'll be happy.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nice today?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 04:29:47 PM »
It was funnnnnn! Going to be better tomorrow... I can't think of any work that 'really' has to be done tomorrow.....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Nice today?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »
Yep. I was at Boneyards before the sun came up and it was firing. I get to sleep later tomorrow but I'll probably be there again.

They were harvesting drugs or of a panga at Ponto at that hour so there was no stopping.
Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Martog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 04:46:06 PM »
Today was nice!
I was out for a few hours at Tourmo. Long waits for the sets but there were plenty of chest / head-high waves rolling through.

Can't wait to get back out there!

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »
Cardiff reef was near perfection, even with a decent onshore breeze. Joe Blair and a couple other dudes were out...KNEE PADDLING ONTO WAVES.

You who know me, know I detest knee paddling out to the lineup, never mind doing that into a wave.

So, Dude #1 was paddling on his knees and caught a wave. A few mins later, another wave comes.  Sorry Dude, I am snaking you based on your lack of talent. It's business, not personal. I flat out paddled towards the wave, spin around in front of him, and took off.  Long breaking right, backside. I get a few whacks off the lip, dodge the guys paddling outs, riding it all the way to the inside. Waves were chest-head high+ on the best sets. Six waves or so, maybe less, and I was done. Super fun session.

Afterwards, Joe came over to me in the parking lot, and asks me if I ride for Starboard. He doesn't much care for that company (Whatever, I like their boards).  I told him "No, but I've sent a couple emails to them and got no response."

Anyways, it was a good day.  

:)

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 03:39:12 PM »
Afterwards, Joe came over to me in the parking lot, and asks me if I ride for Starboard. He doesn't much care for that company (Whatever, I like their boards).  I told him "No, but I've sent a couple emails to them and got no response."

I really like Starboard, as a company.

Most extreme sports companies base themselves in various "cool spots" for image purposes, only to make their boards elsewhere: "We're from Maui!" "We're from Oahu!" "We're from Encinitas!" "We're from Wherever!" - then have the boards made by contract halfway around the world. They send off the specs (or mold-board), go visit the factory a few times (if ever), and use their "local" image to sell the boards. It's the exact same thing with bikes.

Starboard is almost the complete opposite. Instead of establishing themselves in some cool locale, the owner and main folks are all in Thailand, within walking distance of their manufacturer. The owner can personally inspect the process whenever he feels like it by simply going for a little stroll. I don't think anyone else in the business is so hands on with east Asian production. It's just cool.

I like how Blue Planet put out videos of his factory too. There's no reason to shy away from where boards are made - everyone knows that most of their stuff is made in east Asia. Embrace it. I like that authenticity.

On top of that, Starboard is one of the few companies to make super high performance boards out of Asia. All of their boards are available in a variety of constructions. They are constantly tweaking all of their designs, even though this costs them a great deal of money (much much cheaper to use the same molds (I assume they use molds?) for a few years than to have new ones made every year).

I like it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 03:48:32 PM by JeanG »

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 10:17:44 AM »
Very warm this morning!
I'm headed to Blacks with my GF and a Sup.   Don't bother asking.  The answer is yes. :)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:03:49 AM »
Sounds like you're waxed and ready to go CS!

...side note.  My weekend sessions at Dogpatch were most enjoyable.  The surf was micro but it was just momma and me out for nearly 3 hours alone with no competition.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »
Peak of swell today, with good leftovers on the weekend here in so Cal?  Wife want to go, I can't tell her no.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 11:34:12 AM »
Lots of warm waves at Patch today.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
Inconsistent office meeting at secret spot with a few Zoners.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal