Author Topic: News From M2M?  (Read 15642 times)

Kissa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: News From M2M?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 12:05:59 AM »
Awesome write up Bill.
I found it to be a very humbling experience. While exciting, you always felt like you were on the edge - not having experienced anything like that before.
The first hour was fine, but after that it was like strap yourself in for the ride of your life. I had one horrific crash and felt fortunate my leash held fast.
All in all, an unforgetable experience - can hardly believe we got it  :)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 08:19:30 AM »
Wow! Thanks for the awesome pictures HM - those are incredible! The conditions look fantastic - very similar to the MCKC one in April, it makes me wonder how often this channel fires so well.

Why did Dave Kalama and MR enter as Amateurs?

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 10:49:11 AM »
 Sitting on my couch recovering from shoulder surgery this just made my day. I must of read that post 5 times. Thanks Headmount.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »
Wait, what am I saying, those meatballs don't even make an unlimited downwind board.  They just paste their name all over Mark's boards.   

Nevermind. 

Ha Ha. 

Hilarious.

I agree, excellent right up HM.  Makes me want to train and plan for that race next year.  Your opinion - doable on a 14' board with no rudder?

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »
Sitting on my couch recovering from shoulder surgery this just made my day. I must of read that post 5 times. Thanks Headmount.

I feel for ya 808 surgery sucks. I've had nine over the years.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 03:22:34 PM »
A few guys did 14s.  Bart was one, young Dylan from South Africa was another.  But when you see the video, you'll see how many glides had a very flat entry and the 17 was the call.  Only when they jacked, could you make a case for the 14... and you never knew when that was coming. 

Editing now and have only made it across the channel and have got ten minutes.  The Kamalo speedway is super exciting and sunny blue but only has Conner.  The channel has the see-saw battle with Dave and a rush by Livio but is rough,chaotic and there was a cloud street over us during that part.  What to do?  Do you just want to see the speedway?  Got some close up paddle by the boat of some of the contenders before the start.  Have to cut and slash somewhere.  You tube has a 10 min limit.  Could be a few vids??  I shot 1080p so it a huge file.   

I should also go out and paddle but my gut is still sore from heaving on the boat.  Feel like I did a million sit-ups.  There's another Maliko race this weekend and I entered.  Light wind forecast tho.  Could be a grind but better than being behind a camera.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 03:33:03 PM »
Bill, we'd love to see all the action!  Post of few vids if 10 minutes is too restricting and thanks for all your hard work, I know how laborious video editing can be, we sure appreciate it.  Some of us can only catch long glides in our dreams and while watching videos! Mahalo!

A few guys did 14s.  Bart was one, young Dylan from South Africa was another.  But when you see the video, you'll see how many glides had a very flat entry and the 17 was the call.  Only when they jacked, could you make a case for the 14... and you never knew when that was coming. 

Editing now and have only made it across the channel and have got ten minutes.  The Kamalo speedway is super exciting and sunny blue but only has Conner.  The channel has the see-saw battle with Dave and a rush by Livio but is rough,chaotic and there was a cloud street over us during that part.  What to do?  Do you just want to see the speedway?  Got some close up paddle by the boat of some of the contenders before the start.  Have to cut and slash somewhere.  You tube has a 10 min limit.  Could be a few vids??  I shot 1080p so it a huge file.   

I should also go out and paddle but my gut is still sore from heaving on the boat.  Feel like I did a million sit-ups.  There's another Maliko race this weekend and I entered.  Light wind forecast tho.  Could be a grind but better than being behind a camera.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 05:47:49 PM »
I've decided on a three part series.  Part one is the pre-race, meet some racers, and the start.  Part two will be the dual in the channel.  Part three will be the Kamalo raceway with a speed symposium by the kid.  That way people can check out what they like and I can stay under the limit.

Yeah editing is work but spilling my guts into the channel after looking into the viewfinder too long was the real part.  Zane's brother Matt also shot some vid and also got seasick.   

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 08:14:14 PM »
Nice Headmount, I'm sure most of us would like to see the play by play, so three 10 min segments sounds good.  I feel very fortunate to have been part of this race, the conditions were pretty epic.  Thanks for the pics and for enduring the seasickness.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »
Wow!  I am so fired up to see this three-part series that even though I am not scheduled to work for awhile I will pay for daycare and drive the 70 miles to work and back just to have the high speed connection to see this uninterrupted by ridiculous buffering spells.

Thanks for taking the time.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 10:31:15 PM »
Here's Blueplanet, Robert standing inside Honolua Bay coming by to drop all his gear off on our boat. 

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 10:54:03 PM »
The results are now posted at:
http://handsomebuggaproductions.com/
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 04:25:22 AM »
Can't wait to see it HM.  Thanks in advance for the editing and epic low key narration.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 06:00:59 PM »

That makes sense.  No question that in the channels the bigger boards are the weapons of choice.

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 08:38:05 PM »
great captures!!!! cant wait for the video!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal