Author Topic: Gear Redundancy  (Read 7665 times)

SUPerstitious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Gear Redundancy
« on: May 18, 2012, 09:53:03 AM »
Hi All,
I had a leash break the other week and I couldn't fix it on the beach, and I didn't have a spare in the car. Cut my session short to say the least.

The I saw a post earlier this week about a paddle handle that broke while out in the water. It got me thinking that there are some components that are simply more prone to fail than others.

So my question is...how much redundancy do you plan for? Extra leash, extra paddle, spare fin, a fin key, etc.?

I have stashed a spare leash and a few small odds and ends in the car. I have also started to bring an extra paddle in the car. Let's hear what components you have been doubling up on for a paddle (whether on your person or in the car).

Thanks! I hope to learn a thing or two from all your input.
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means, but …

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Gear Redundancy
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
spare leash, spare fins, spare 3-pc paddle, duct tape, quick ding repair kit, epoxy glue

all essentials when i am on a trip whcih is usually a long way from home

also usually take a surf mat and fins - that way if conditions turn messy or windy
i can still have a surf

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:34:47 AM »
I carry spares of just about everything and ding repair epoxy and stickers. I even usually have two boards...more to match conditions than as a spare though. It's a pain in winter because it means gloves, boots, and even wetsuit are doubled. I had a torn glove cut a session short last year. Hard to paddle when you can't feel your fingers anymore.
Good idea on the mat and fins Bigdom. Gotta add that to the mix.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:38:41 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »
I'm a bad choice to answer this, my truck and/or jeep looks like a mobile surf shop. Not because I'm so organized that I have spares but simply because I'm too forgetful to not have all my junk at all times, and too lazy to unload everything every outing (which is generally every day). I typically have multiple surf and race leashes (multiple meaning ten or so--some broken, others stretched and useless, usually one I trust and one I sort of trust), fins in every pukka that will hold them, tools (fin keys, screwdrivers, knife, leatherman). In the cold columbia I have wetsuit, drysuit, and neoprene shirt as well as boardies, 2XU tights, and a bunch of wet and stinky Dri-fit shirts. Fin screws, spare thruster screws, four pair of booties (5mil joined toe, 3mil split toe bootie, 2 sets 3mill superfreak shoes). Life belt and camelback.

In Maui I usually have a surfboard or two, at least one of which has a mast base, a race board (F16 or Bullet), windsurf gear (four sails, three masts, two booms, multiple extensions and bases, helmet, several harnesses, rope, winch, and a myriad of other bits and stuff needed to flail around on a windsurfer), an OC-1 and two sets of paddles of everything. In Oregon I have two whitewater boards (or at least the inflatable in the bed), helmet, life vest, two pumps, two race and/or boards.

And I still always forget something.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 11:19:54 AM »
Yeah, All gear and barely room for even one partner.  Bigger truck.

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »
i pack couple leashs with me but never broke one yet and a spare travel cheapo(my first paddle) paddle.  My travel paddle save me a couple times b/c i left my Kailoa at home. i dont have extra fins but most of time i break a fin, usually means the fin box is busted open. depend how many sup i can fit in the small ford focus hatchback, i usually have one to two board with me.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »
Bigdom A surf mat?  Like the rectangle canvas ones  from long ago.  I had a few.  Great fun.  Where did you get it?

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »
I'm a bad choice to answer this, my truck and/or jeep looks like a mobile surf shop. Not because I'm so organized that I have spares but simply because I'm too forgetful to not have all my junk at all times, and too lazy to unload everything every outing (which is generally every day). I typically have multiple surf and race leashes (multiple meaning ten or so--some broken, others stretched and useless, usually one I trust and one I sort of trust), fins in every pukka that will hold them, tools (fin keys, screwdrivers, knife, leatherman). In the cold columbia I have wetsuit, drysuit, and neoprene shirt as well as boardies, 2XU tights, and a bunch of wet and stinky Dri-fit shirts. Fin screws, spare thruster screws, four pair of booties (5mil joined toe, 3mil split toe bootie, 2 sets 3mill superfreak shoes). Life belt and camelback.

In Maui I usually have a surfboard or two, at least one of which has a mast base, a race board (F16 or Bullet), windsurf gear (four sails, three masts, two booms, multiple extensions and bases, helmet, several harnesses, rope, winch, and a myriad of other bits and stuff needed to flail around on a windsurfer), an OC-1 and two sets of paddles of everything. In Oregon I have two whitewater boards (or at least the inflatable in the bed), helmet, life vest, two pumps, two race and/or boards.

And I still always forget something.

The Sherpa?

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 04:38:11 AM »
surfmats - mine is a 4th gear flier by paul gross

http://www.surfmats.com/

a well ridden surfmat is the fastest craft on the wave - george greenough
filmed crystal voyager from a surfmat

pre-gopro !

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 05:28:19 AM »
A spare key in a magnetic box hidden somewhere on my car. Something about the beach, me, and keys.  The hard part sometimes is remembering where i hid it.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 07:44:09 AM »
I've broken two leashes.

I carry a few extra.

Back up wetsuit also.

I would carry two boards but I'm waiting for #2!
Taller than most, shorter than others.

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »
For winter paddling, I have accumulated about 5 pairs of booties.  Every time one is on sale I get it.  Reason:  While my two pair of wetsuits/pants dry in a day, the booties take 2-3 days to dry completely.  With extra booties, I can paddle every day and cycle them.  They also last a lot longer rather than washing and drying one pair over and over again.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »
For winter paddling, I have accumulated about 5 pairs of booties.  Every time one is on sale I get it.  Reason:  While my two pair of wetsuits/pants dry in a day, the booties take 2-3 days to dry completely.  With extra booties, I can paddle every day and cycle them.  They also last a lot longer rather than washing and drying one pair over and over again.

Where are you surfing where it's that cold?
Taller than most, shorter than others.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »
It can be fun to ask twins which one is the spare.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »
I carry a surf pack and a distance pack in my surf mobile.

The surf pack has extra fins, extra leash, extra cord, lighter, pocket fuel, nuts, dried fruit, multi tool, full water bottle, boardies, dry fit shirt.

The distance pack has pretty much the same thing, but with a hooded long sleeve dry fit shirt and a waist camelback clipped to it.

Car has a surf and adjustable distance paddle.

Car has a l/s spring, a l/s top, two short johns... And extra boardies...wear the short John the most. This is a recent development. More flex than a top, no riding up after a tumble like a top or a vest, just enough warmth if air over 60, so I kept an old one for a dry suit for the second session.

Car will usually have the current board I am riding (right now the Mach 1), a step up board (right now Diablo Rojo at 8'8"), and my last board (right now Aventador).

Car fits five or six boards inside, so room for my buddies' boards.

Also have a backpack shower for rinsing off, an old floor mat from my MPV to stand on, and enough protein rich energy bars to extend any session or feed a small village.

Oh, and jumper cables...

Sienna represent!
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal