Author Topic: Paddling in London?  (Read 9346 times)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddling in London?
« on: February 11, 2015, 03:00:42 PM »
I'm headed to London (well, specifically Reading) in about a week for business. I'll have some downtime towards the end of my trip so naturally I started to think about the possibility of paddling. I'm staying right near the Kennet River in Reading but don't know much more than that. Google hasn't been too helpful. There is a water sports company within half an hour but I was hoping for something in Reading or easily accessible without a car. I know this is probably asking a lot. This post could be a stretch but maybe UKRiverSurfer has local insight, although I don't know what part of the UK you are in. Regardless of how it works out, I'm looking forward to jumping across the pond, I haven't been over there in about 15 years.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddling in London?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 01:26:35 AM »
I'm headed to London (well, specifically Reading) in about a week for business. I'll have some downtime towards the end of my trip so naturally I started to think about the possibility of paddling. I'm staying right near the Kennet River in Reading but don't know much more than that. Google hasn't been too helpful. There is a water sports company within half an hour but I was hoping for something in Reading or easily accessible without a car. I know this is probably asking a lot. This post could be a stretch but maybe UKRiverSurfer has local insight, although I don't know what part of the UK you are in. Regardless of how it works out, I'm looking forward to jumping across the pond, I haven't been over there in about 15 years.

are you taking a board? the kennit and Avon canal is a lovely place to paddle if not pop down to bray lake in reading beside the thames and im sure they will help you out. be warned the water is icy cold at the moment!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 01:48:28 AM »
Reading is a separate town from London. There are plenty of paddling opportunities around Reading, and I think UKRiverSurfer is not that far from Reading. The Bray Lake people that supuk recommends are very good. But you will probably need a car whatever you do. It's not *that* far to the south coast from Reading, if you fancy getting in the sea. And yes, it is very cold in the water right now so if there's a chance you'll fall in you'll need a 2/3mm wetsuit plus boots as a bare minimum. If you will be SUP surfing you will need at least a 4/3 suit, boots and gloves, unless you are crazy hardy. Dry suits are good too, obviously. A longjohn is fine if you are sure you won't fall. Some people risk no neoprene in flat water but it is a risk if you are going far. Hope you have a good trip!

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 05:47:59 AM »
kaya... it may be time for PbRI to invest in a quality inflatable. Looks like lots of cool places along the Thames and other rivers in Reading.

pip pip ole boy... cherrio.... have a smashing good time over there. Beware UKRS.... he'll take you on some 300 mile trek with a compass and a pup tent ;)

Beachboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 12:43:40 AM »
Kaya
I paddle with the bray lake crowd I'm sure we can hook you up with some paddling, when are you over.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:04:12 AM »
Yes - Its in my neck of the woods, just about 40 minutes away.

I may well be able o meet you with the a Point and a K15 and a ZRE Powersurge :)

We could have a paddle around the Thames in Reading.

It would be great to meet up :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:06:53 AM by UKRiverSurfers »
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »
This is your best website for paddling info - http://paddlepoints.net/
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 10:09:45 AM »
Reading is a separate town from London. There are plenty of paddling opportunities around Reading, and I think UKRiverSurfer is not that far from Reading. The Bray Lake people that supuk recommends are very good. But you will probably need a car whatever you do. It's not *that* far to the south coast from Reading, if you fancy getting in the sea. And yes, it is very cold in the water right now so if there's a chance you'll fall in you'll need a 2/3mm wetsuit plus boots as a bare minimum. If you will be SUP surfing you will need at least a 4/3 suit, boots and gloves, unless you are crazy hardy. Dry suits are good too, obviously. A longjohn is fine if you are sure you won't fall. Some people risk no neoprene in flat water but it is a risk if you are going far. Hope you have a good trip!

I just take a spare change of clothes when on the Thames. :)

I do have all the kit you'll need Kayadogg.... What size are you?
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 07:43:37 AM »

I just take a spare change of clothes when on the Thames.
Well, that's your choice. But falling in the Thames on a foreign trip in winter would be a helluva way to discover that you are susceptible to cold shock. So I'm not sure I'd recommend it to a travelling paddler.

I got knocked into an estuary recently by a fellow paddler and was wearing a long John (or what our US colleagues call a Farmer John) and got a complete flush-though. Air temp was around 5C and water temp about the same, but there was an icy North wind. It wasn't easy to breathe for a few seconds while I had to disentangle my board from another, and if you weren't used to cold water, that could have been the start of a difficult experience. There was a strong current and wind and it would have been difficult to make shore to change clothes - and if I had then fallen in again in normal clothes then the situation would have gone from inconvenient to really quite tricky. At the very least it would have seriously inconvenienced my fellow paddlers. So I don't take the risk. But everyone has to assess the risk for themselves.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
A lot comes down to wearing the right kind of outdoor clothing. The Buffalo System is one example.

If you fall in wearing this stuff, you'll be dry almost as soon as you get out of the water. http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/

I did get cold shock once when i was thirteen, but as i was in a group it wasn't a problem. I never get it now. Even if i fell in a second time, what im wearing will dry fast and i will warm up as soon as i get moving.

The Thames is about 5 celsius right now. :)

I have never mistakenly fallen off whilst cruising on the Thames. I'd say there is more chance of me walking into a lamp post :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:57:07 AM by UKRiverSurfers »
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 10:18:31 AM »
Thanks all, this is very helpful.

Yes creek, I've been toying with the idea of adding some inflatables and I think given the traveling we've been doing and will continue to do in the future, it just makes sense.

I plan on bringing neoprene. Growing up in New England, I feel that I am pretty well-accustomed to cold water, although I did a training paddle this morning in Dana Point and felt cold despite water and air temps of about 58.  Regardless, I'm comfortable in cold water so I'm not worried about that.

UKRiverSurfers has reached out to me and hopefully if our schedules align, we'll be able to meet up for a paddle.

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 01:24:07 PM »
Gotta love the Zone for stuff like this.... hope you guys meet up and share some great paddle time!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »
Quote from: Area 10
Well, that's your choice. But falling in the Thames on a foreign trip in winter would be a helluva way to discover that you are susceptible to cold shock.

you had me at "falling in the Thames"...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 11:58:04 PM »
Quote from: Area 10
Well, that's your choice. But falling in the Thames on a foreign trip in winter would be a helluva way to discover that you are susceptible to cold shock.

you had me at "falling in the Thames"...
Haha! But actually, once you are away from the tidal section of the Thames around London (which can be polluted with raw sewage) there are regulations protecting the Thames so the quality of the water is respectable. It's the second longest river in England and there are miles of it far away from London that are very scenic. It's not all the "dirty old river" that Ray described.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 03:58:36 AM »
I plan on bringing neoprene. Growing up in New England, I feel that I am pretty well-accustomed to cold water, although I did a training paddle this morning in Dana Point and felt cold despite water and air temps of about 58.
UKRiverSurfers has reached out to me and hopefully if our schedules align, we'll be able to meet up for a paddle.

Ahh fook! We've lost you! If you were here you'd be stylin' in 4 degree air and 38 degree water. (That's degrees F for our euro friends, not your dainty degrees C)
Bunch of old shit

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal