Author Topic: Adventure to the dark side  (Read 21699 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure to the dark side
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 10:49:34 AM »
Things like what I see in this thread are why I said "Water--yes, SUP--no" in the "Are you a SUP addict" thread.  Much as I love standup, I could see myself being pretty happy in an outrigger or especially a surfski.  So much of what's good about one seems good about the other.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 11:06:20 AM »
Whoa, that Kai Bartlett vid was heavy duty.  Could appreciate it much more after doing it once.  Looks like his ama has a ton of nose rocker.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 11:44:16 AM »
Things like what I see in this thread are why I said "Water--yes, SUP--no" in the "Are you a SUP addict" thread.  Much as I love standup, I could see myself being pretty happy in an outrigger or especially a surfski.  So much of what's good about one seems good about the other.

Except for the sitting part. I'm doing two hundred crunches every day getting ready for Maui. And I still know being in a canoe is gonna kill my back. Until I lose this fat in my gut any kind of boat without back support is going to be a challenge. One more reason to lose 40 pounds--as if I needed another.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 12:18:40 PM »
My low back was tight but not crippled, but inner thigh tendon and gluts were really tweaked.  When I got out of the boat at the end my legs were bending in all directions and wouldn't work for walking up for a few minutes, very weird.  Took all of yesterday to stretch them out.  Feeling great today.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 04:51:10 PM »
Its crazy how tough it is on your legs!  I think that will get better as I continue to relax in the boat.  As it is, I am afraid that I am going to huli alot....making me fairly tense.  I guess its like how my ankles used to hurt doing stand up.  I also really need to work on the flexibility in my legs.  Every reach with the paddle strains my hamstrings....10 miles later it is hard to walk. 

Fitzsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 11:00:53 PM »
I picked up an OC2 on the same shipment as Jeremy... trying to get out on the water more often with my son.  We're having a blast on the calm waters Southside.  Rode some nice knee high waves with him on Saturday and he was begging to stay out longer. I may have to look into one of the clinics with you Cove.  Trial and error is a lengthy and potentially dangerous learning plan.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 11:30:32 PM »
Fitz, check out LPB's link, above, to Kai's clinic page.

Trying to figure out OC2 is even harder than OC1. There is nothing written about it anywhere that I could find and there is a whole lot more going on with two than with one. I got to paddle with JR last week on his boat's maiden session. We went out and fooled around in some fun sized surf in the harbor. We hulied twice but it was a blast.

HM got to do the maiden race down Maliko with JR and they won their division, pretty cool! Especially considering that it was HM's 2nd time in an outrigger and both JR's and HM's first Maliko run in an outrigger! 

Those Ozone 2 man's are sure nice. You guys are going to have a blast.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:36:17 PM by covesurfer »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 11:47:36 PM »
Went again today.  No race amp, in fact nobody there at launch.  Light winds but still stronger than saturday.  We switched seats and it was easier for me to keep with JR's pace.  His mission for the day was to paddle as little as possible and we achieved that.  Paddling less also resulted in less trauma at the finish, in fact we were kind of surprised how fast the run went.  Tonight I feel no pain. 

Next time we're raising the ama so we can go left better.  Really stoked with this OC-2.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 12:42:13 AM »
Here we are cruising on a glide taking pics. 

When we washed off at the finish a coconut landed between JR and me.  Just plopped into the ground, a slight squirt from the mud we had created in the wash off, a squirt that made me think of one of our brains if a direct hit had occurred.  We just stared at each other for a few moments, speechless.

Notice the Halloween decorations from his daughters

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 10:21:56 AM »
Was Jeremy steering from the front seat?  Did you notice the boat acting any different with you in the back vs the front?  I'm curious as to which way my friend and I should set up his.  I have always steered from the back.  I have read that it is up to the paddlers..interested in your take.  We going today?  Maliko? Looks like the wind has come down a little.....don't want to be the only guy on a SUP! 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 11:00:24 AM »
I'd like to SUP today.  JR is shaping a new board.

Yes he steered in the front.  Before the race on saturday, one of the OC guys around my age told us put the heavy guy up front because of the boats tendencies so we did.  But yesterday everything was so much better.  Hard to say exactly why but my take was that me being in the back was better for synching up with JR's stroke which is probably priority one.  Balance wise front to back, there didn't seem to be any compromise.  Your friend will be able to follow you by being in the back.  JR thought he would prefer the back for steering on saturday but changed his mind about it after yesterday.

We couldn't figure out how to disconnect the steering for the non steering guy so I had to pull back on the balls of my feet when I felt the peddle pressure change.

Rainy on this side.  Looks poor.  Call me about southside around 11-12

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 11:08:34 AM »
Still rainy but starting to clear out. South side might be the call again today. I'm going stand up again today if the conditions cooperate.

I don't know how we'll pry KS out of her ski. A big Maliko day may be the only way.

Just checked the cam, S shore is already blowing!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:33:17 AM by covesurfer »

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »
Yeah its white capping in North Kihei. I'll call you guys around 11.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »
Foot pedal steering or do you poke?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 09:17:12 PM »
PBill... ?

Today everyone bailed on me to do the 1pm shuttle to maliko.  Didn't look good on my end so I stayed put.  Then my son called me and he's staying up on Mapu above Kilohana and said the wind was cranking hard and he could drive for me.  Launched near 2PM and went all the way to the landing.  It was easy.  Hadn't done a solo in awhile and it was a little strange but glides were great and mentally consuming enough to keep my mind right.  My plan was to go in where ever and call him if wind crapped out but it didn't.

Felt great to SUP again.  Sitting on my ass is cool but I enjoyed steering again.

Called Cove when I got home to see if Maliko had also kicked in but he said no.  Stormy on this side. Going slow in flat grey light isn't my cup.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:36:45 PM by headmount »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal