Author Topic: Something going around... take it seriously  (Read 3251 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Something going around... take it seriously
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »
I have been knocked out for two weeks.  Two Sundays ago I dawn patrolled, then did a three hour distance paddle in the ocean against some nasty sidewind... It knocked me out for the entire day.  I just figured that I was getting older and needed more time to recover... or something.

Sunday night scratchy throat... by Tuesday no voice... promised Jr. I would take him skiing / boarding on that Thursday... brutal... rest, rest, rest, slept the entire weekend...

Rested all week long... to work no earlier than 8:00, home no later than 6:00... saw the doctor twice... no exercising...

Rest on Saturday... including afternoon nap...

Surf on Sunday morning before the storm... no energy... 45 minute session... Head was congested and it felt like an out of body experience... back to bed... sleep on the couch all day... listen to the wind and rain...

Keep thinking it is in my chest... doc tells me no...

Taking the drugs... eating right... taking my vitamins... still feeling like cr*p... even did the multiple rounds of blood tests...

Man, this one it tough to kick!

Still feel tired and run down.

Really want to feel normal... forgot what it is like to be sick.

Can't imagine what it is like to be REALLY sick!

Take your vitamins, eat right and get plenty of rest... cuz this one is a b*tch to kick!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

ENCINITAS_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Something going around... take it seriously
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 12:13:55 PM »
Something is going around.  Had a few friends come down with something similar to your experience, some of them have had a lingering cough for weeks.  Thought I caught it last week but vitamins, water, and rest knocked it out in a couple of days.

Get better soon

soulpaddler

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 12:56:22 PM »
I thought you drifted off to some nice little atoll, with grass fed beef and coconut water, where it's double overhead and glassy every day. ;D

Seriously, glad you're getting better.  Did you get something funky out of the water, or was this something else?

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »
speedy recovery SL-funny im home a little early today with a funky stomach-feeling tired-super glad i did not dawn patrol at sano this morning-gonna give it a few more days off and take it easy.
If this is knocking you out thats worrisome as you are fit and eat really well-now in gonna buckle down and try to beat this thing before it gets me too!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 01:10:35 PM »
also some of the Infinity guys who went to Santa Cruz last week for that race are not well-Dave got hammered hard! My son was pretty sick a few days.
so i think it may be both water quality and ive heard theres some of that seasonal Influenza going around.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:24:24 PM »
Strand,
I was in the hospital just about four weeks ago to the day with pneumonia. I just stayed the night. They gave me some heavy antibiotic's, and sent me home with some good stuff  ::) About 2 months ago, I had the typical cold that had the lingering dry cough at night. This was different. I had this deep bronchial cough with no other cold like symptoms. Then I felt dizzy, and a little feverish. Then lying in bed, I felt like I was drownding with pressure on my chest. Niquil had no effect. I drove to the ER and the X-rays showed I had some minor pneumonia in the lower part of one of my lungs. I felt very down and out of energy for the next 3 weeks. Paddled once last week, and swam laps last night. Just starting to get my strength back. My kids swim coach had the same thing I did, with the same recovery time. It's going around. Hang in there dude. You'll back back in action, just might take a little longer.

TD
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Something going around... take it seriously
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »
Get better brother. There is some nasty stuff out there right now. Lots of folks going down and the waiting room at the hospital is full of people who sound just like you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 09:01:48 PM »
Another Zoner that wants to see the " I feel better" post from SL
Think good thoughts and feel better soon.

mrl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 09:22:58 PM »
Tim hope you get better soon

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 10:59:19 PM »
Yeah Tim, get well.  We get so many visitors to Maui, that every virus in the world ends up here.  I bump fists with most people and then wash my hands a bunch. Don't rub my eyes... get in the ocean as much as possible. 

Last several winters I went to the mainland and came home sick every time.  Jets are the worst.  Last two, I've just stayed home and paddled and have two winters (years) under my belt of sick free.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 08:30:29 PM »
Thanks brothers. Had a fun hour long Sesh this morning... Wow, I missed this. Hall pass for tomorrow's craziness. Maybe I will even wear my go pro. 

Really Wierd bug.  Haven't been knocked out like this in years... So when that throat gets scratchy, and the head starts throbbing, go to bed early, eat lots of good for you food, and get to the doc!

Be well dudes!  Thanks again!!
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

mrl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »
Glad you have joined the living again. Looks like my wife may have aught the same thing

RyanSurfNTurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 11:48:18 PM »
It just finished going through my family. Ugly bug.
No complaints about losing 5 lbs from it though.  ;D

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 06:22:34 AM »
I'm sick for the second time in 12 weeks. I went 12 years without getting ill.  It might be in the water.  :(

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 09:16:24 AM »
Rest up Cardiff!  Wife tried to give it back to me last week.  I resisted mightily.

As you know, this one is a doozy... I was sooo bloody tired after my Sunday session at windy Church that I basically ate and slept all afternoon... (and watched river monsters)... If only it was this Sunday, then I could have slept to the soothing voice of Jim Nance and the chirping of the Northwest Warbler...

Be well.

Time

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal