Author Topic: Give me a place to stand....  (Read 8266 times)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Give me a place to stand....
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 09:18:11 AM »
As Weasel posted - should we all stop evolving?  No.

Just like snowboarding to skiing - SUP is not going away.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 09:20:24 AM »
Weasels,
Your garbanzo beans likely won't mind if you switch to an electric opener.   If you've spent any time on the teeter-totter, as I have, then you've had some experience in the importance of having leverage on your side but realizing that if you don't respond well to Buster, Buster, Buster Brown, soon no one will want to teeter (or is that totter?) with you.
It takes a quiver to do that.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 10:48:22 AM »
You got to make it happen for yourself out in the water just as in life.  I usta think that the ocean was a different world where different rules applied but now with all the people out there and the supply and demand issues involved, it becomes just like everything else.  You create the vibe that surrounds yourself and the experience you take away from a session.  My goal is to always exit the water clean... that's why I got into the ocean to begin with as a kid and realize even now that the song remains the same.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 11:06:41 AM »
Telling a Standup guy he's cheating by using a paddle is like accusing a bird of cheating for using its wings.  It borders on the absurd.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 04:37:43 PM »
I don't know guys, I think you've wandered afield with this. First let me check--am I still supposed to be a democrat? Just wanted to know how many weasel words I should use.

I think what you're really talking about is "why are there so many embarrassing kooks wobbling around on stand up boards? Yes? No?

Or were things getting a little too quiet and you decided to dump a big chunk of softwood on the fire?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 05:13:07 PM »
 No getting around it, we are cheating.  That, of course, doesn’t make it any less fun, but it is an important admittance.

Interesting discussion and good to read all the different perspectives!  However do we need to admit we're cheating, even if we don't realize or think we're cheating?  IMHO, many of us have come from different water sport backgrounds, thus have a different perspective and take on things.  I'm a windsurfer first and foremost, and SUP was a natural progression for me.  I've always "stood" on the water, so I don't follow the logic. I do my best to respect everyone using the ocean, as we're all out there to have fun and personally I do not care what anyone chooses to ride.  If they have a big grin on their face, they are doing what they love!  It's all good!
supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »
Sounds like a big chunk of softwood to me.  Now a hollow rock thrown in for an explosive stir it up.  Admit nothing.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 07:05:04 PM »
[quote auth
One thing for sure--it's a lot easier on back and neck muscles.
[/quote]
Quote from: Admin AGREE!!!
PS:  I don't see any 3 day surfers on blue softops way outside the lineup making any waves. 
[/quote
  ;D I don't think I have an advantage on a sup. Not yet... I am no where as confident on it as I am on either a shortboard or a longboard. Therefore, I  sup only breaks that I would never prone surf. There are so many spots better suited to sup. IMHO

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »
I think a little constructive critique is a positive thing.  It is helpful to keep in mind that we do have a mechanical advantage and if we use it in crowded surf breaks to catch more waves than other surf craft…
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:29:40 PM by Admin »

Rolf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 08:20:50 PM »
Ya we do have advantage over the proners a good deal of the the time catching waves , is it cheating I think
not at least not to me it is not, but I never go for every possible wave I can catch  I always pass of a few but
take my fair share and had never had a problem in a somewhat crowded spot with the proners maybe a funny
look once in while.
I am no expert sup surfer but I do alright in the surf and have had proners commented on how fun it looks,
we will have more converts as time goes on I believe, and this maybe will ease some of the tension we have
with supsurf and prone surfing, having said that they are a few very localized spots I simply stay away from
but they are not really that great for sup anyways except maybe a very skilled expert.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 08:24:26 PM by Rolf »

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2010, 10:11:28 AM »
Hmmmmmmmm........., depending upon how you look at it,
using a board or even just swim fins could be considered cheating!
 ;)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 10:35:36 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2010, 11:56:26 AM »
I think a little constructive critique is a positive thing.  It is helpful to keep in mind that we do have a mechanical advantage and if we use it in crowded surf breaks to catch more waves than other surf craft…

...then you're a kook, same as you are if you use your superior swimming abilities to take every wave in a shorebreak with spongers. It's not the device, it's the person.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 03:10:50 PM »
Who is John Galt?

Was not sure who was gonna go with the classic... I should have guessed Pono...

Chan,

Yes, an SUP has more volume, but is not always advantageous.  In fact, yesterday, when a certain kook kept paddling under me, and basically hassling me... as I didn't want to hurt him with my SUP, (much harder to hassle on a 27 inch wide SUP) I took a wave in and paddled out on an indestructable board (Aviso Bessel Eliminator 6'8") and decided to show him how to properly hassle.  He won't be using his board for a few weeks as the rails have a few contact marks.  I wish that I could have just hassled him on my SUP, but I really did not want to hurt him... both because I don't like to hurt people and it would have been bad for the local SUP community...

It was a crowded spot, a small takeoff zone, but I have been surfing it since 5:30 under the moonlight...

As Pono said, it's the dude or dudette...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

VB

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2010, 03:12:50 PM »
I think PonoBill pretty much sumed all this up with the above comments.  Don't be a kook.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2010, 04:14:50 PM »
Sure, there are problems in other sports as well, but I’ve never heard about a wave hogging body surfer (fins or finless) and certainly not by a chorus of voices.  No argument about individuals, but I don’t think it ends there - our gear plays its role.   Please do a search for the word cheating on this forum.  This is hardly new territory here, with users accurately stating a variation of, “XXX board was so XXXX, XXXX, and XXXX that it makes me feel like I am cheating.  Moreover, we hear, “now that I am Stand Up Paddling I get XXX times the waves I did prone”.  Where do those waves come from?  Some come from a machine…but not most  :)
Please note, this is not a SUP good / SUP bad thread.  The sport is great fun!  Still, it is a strength to see things as they are, not only as we would like them to be.

Happy Festivus to all!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]