Author Topic: OC-1s are amazing  (Read 4067 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
OC-1s are amazing
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:04:32 PM »
Had my first downwinder on the south side of Maui in my OC1 this afternoon. Wow. Moderate wind and little swells that got a bit bigger at the halfway point--would have been a slog on a SUP, but the OC1 ripped. Caught beaucoup rides and they went on forever. What a gas.

I do seem to have the nose under water a lot. Seems not to matter much, in fact it seems like you get longer rides with the nose buried. I have a huge amount to learn, but I'm having a blast. Only one Huli, and that was when I turned to come in.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: OC-1s are amazing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:29:08 AM »
There is a reason the fastest OC-1 paddlers can cross the Molokai channel in well under 4 hours and the fastest SUP guy came in just under 5 hours (and yes the conditions of the race are different each race)...OC-1s are simply faster in nearly all conditions.

I actually cross-train with a surfski (surfskis are about 5-10% faster than OC-1).  I find that its frustrating to go from the ski back to SUP, because I cannot catch bumps on my SUP that I easily catch on my ski.

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 01:41:21 PM »
Cool to hear you are enjoying the new OC-1. As you know DK recommends cross training on the OC-1 and what's better they are just a blast. I got interested in them at the first Kalama Kamp bummed a few more rides in the months that followed and then spent the money I saved to buy one to go to another Kalama Kamp. I need to make it a priority to get one in 2011 though.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 03:34:08 PM »
Yup. My left side was hurting this morning. Under my arm, across my chest and to the middle of my back. Met Dave for a beach workout and with his typical precision he said "You're leaning too hard into the Ama while you're paddling on the right side." Well of course.

I need get a little instruction from him. An hour with Dave is better than ten weeks on your own, as I'm sure PaddleDaddy will verify.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 05:16:10 PM »
Bill I agree.......  They are amazing, be careful though you'll start spending more time on them than on your SUP.  They're like go-carts in the bumps.  I sold my ruddered 17' to get a new one.

Wait till you start flying the ama when you're on the bumps as well, such a thrill and lets you go even faster.  I actually stopped leaning left so much when I practiced when paddling flying the ama and catching it with your paddle on the right, even just sitting still in flat water or with very little speed is harder to balance the ama in the air but great practice.  I am now more stable paddling right than left as you can just about always do something when you're on the right.

The other thing for me in tough bits is making sure you get the paddle out before the hip as the paddle pulling the right side downwards lifts the left and then you Huli.  So much to learn, I havent been on one long either and very paddle is a new lesson.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 05:47:05 PM »
Oh man, don't do this to me... my wallet is crying.

levity

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 07:37:51 PM »
... and OC-2s can be twice the fun!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 11:12:36 PM »
NICE pics.  I'm sure the full res version is even better.  Feel myself slipping towards trying OC1.... but I remember canoe practice and the beginning of my back problems.  So far the SUP has been kind to me.

Ronan "Doc Jacobs"

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 06:26:01 AM »
Hi
I'm a proud owner of an Allwave Galea full carbon, an outrigger made in Italy. Like you guys, it's difficult to get back on my 12'6" Hobie SUP. Yesterday, I went out training for the last race of the season, the crossing of Paris on the river Seine, an despite good conditions, it was hard to really catch the bumps
The lightest DW conditions are so fun on an OC, even for a beginner like me. But I'll wait for summer conditions(water's 10°C here now)to fly the ama...

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 08:24:55 AM »
Bill: Agreed about Dave's ability to teach others exactly the one next thing they need. It's awesome how the guy that essentially started or co-started the SUP craze when he pulled a few paddles out of his car one summer day a few years back also continues to be such a great teacher and ambassador for the sport. I'm pretty happy with every dollar I've spent at Kalama Kamp!

Okay, back to the OC-1 or more posts and pictures. It's keeping me inspired!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf