Author Topic: Have you read " The Wave " by Susan Casey  (Read 7813 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Have you read " The Wave " by Susan Casey
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 07:01:34 PM »
My oldest son took pics of rogue waves out in the channel.  He was a 1st mate on the Young Bros inter-island barge service for four years and they always had to go.  The island's economy depends on it so the guys on the tugs see the heaviest shit these channels can offer.  His biggest horror stories were about the Alenuihaha Channel.    People outside the state of Hawaii may never have heard the word Alenuihaha.  It's one of those Hawaiian words that people from the rest of the US have a tough time pronouncing. In contrast, the word K2 easily rolls off the tongues of mountain climbers but both places can show nature at its most extreme.

Roughly translated, Alenuihaha means “of very large, trough-like waves.” But like most Hawaiian words or phrases there can be several interpretations. The channel’s name can be broken-down into ale, meaning to swallow or engulf, nui meaning large or great, and haha meaning to breathe hard or pant. Yet another meaning is great billows smashing.  A more direct translation suggests Alenuihaha is "the angry woman.” 

The U.S. Coast Guard's view is that the channel is generally regarded as one of the most treacherous channels in the world because of strong winds and high seas.  Those brave enough to enter get blasted by a wind generated venturi effect created by the massive force of the North Pacific High Pressure system being funneled through a 30-40 mile gap between two of the world's tallest mountains- on Hawaii, Mauna Kea and on Maui, Haleakala.   The ocean depth between these two giant volcanic peaks plunges to over a mile, creating strong and dangerous currents that combine with gale force wind speeds to raise the specter of rogue waves to a higher probability.  Average wave heights in the Alenuihaha Channel can be twenty feet on a windy day.  Rogue waves can double and sometime quadruple that size. These waves are capable of breaking and sinking ships.   Some sailors have noted that the whole Pacific Ocean tries to squeeze through this gap between the Big Island and Maui.  Unfortunate yachts have crossed the distance of the Pacific only to meet their demise in this channel. This is no woman to be scorned.  This channel is the Everest of paddling anything.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 07:20:22 PM »
Alenuihaha sounds gnarlie, bet Laird could SUP it.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 07:57:34 PM »
Others have done it all the way from the BI and Laird and Lock did it together off the south coast of Maui from Kaupo to Makena, so it's been done.  But doing it in the strongest winds could be a deliverance situation.  Look at those pics LaPerouse posted .. 12/2, of Antarctica and you get the idea of just the regular surface.  The rogue waves are something else altogether.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »
It IS two separate books, maybe three. One is the science bit, the other is shipping, and the third is big wave surfing. Some authors would stitch that together well if not seamlessly. She really didn't. I guess that's a criticism, but it didn't effect my enjoyment of the book. I usually have a half dozen going at once anyway. It's that ADD thing.

Lauren Hillenbrand is a really fine writer. Glad to hear she has something new. Make that seven books going at a time, assuming its available digitally. .

I ran into Brett Lickle out at Kanaha a week or so ago, and then again at Whole Foods, getting lunch. Every time we talk we usually do "injury inventory", recounting our latest medical disasters and physical problems. Boring and gruesome for everyone but the two of us but we have a good time. His leg looks at least 100 percent better than last year. Really cool. Last year it looked like a stick with skin, this year it looks like a pretty healthy leg, and would look normal on most people but his other leg is pretty massive. Neat guy, I really enjoy him. He's about as no bullshit as guys come.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »
Laird and Dave SUP'd the alenuihaha along with all the other channels to Kaua'i back in 06, (I think).  They did it to raise money for a movie about Autism. 

Here's a link to an interesting story about some fishermen lost in the channel. 

http://www.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=1628

Last year I heard a story about a very adventurous and capable paddler soloing in his oc-1 across the alenuihaha.  Story is that he  was riding swells as large as anything he had ever seen at maliko.  Interestingly, those maliko-ish swells were mere bumps on much bigger swells. 
Support your local shaper

Linus

• Rincon Status
  • www.coreban.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 12:51:59 AM »
Enjoyed the book as well, a good balance between science and adventure.  The Egypt part was amazing.  I was mostly in awe of how mysterious waves, swell and the ocean is.  I thought scientists completely understood waves - very insightful as to how much is still to be discovered.

Distressed Mullet

• Rincon Status
  • For the people who paddle
    • View Profile
    • Distressed Mullet
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 01:16:11 AM »
I loved The Wave. I actually got it as an audio book for a long drive from North Carolina to the Seaside Celebration race in Florida. I wrote a quick review here:
http://distressedmullet.com/?p=5659
And I agree, the Egypt section takes it to another level.

I just picked up Devil's Teeth and can't put it down. I laughed out loud at a part where a group chooses the island to release to rehabilitated seals. It was horrible, but of all the places to release a seal. It sounds like something out of a movie. I actually feel strange that I laughed at that part. It just seemed like I could relate at times both to the released seals and the releasers.

If you want another book suggestion after Devil's Teeth, try Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox. Really cool book.
Nothing heals like water time

Shark

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 06:24:51 AM »
I just watched last week's Daily Show episode with Susan Casey on DVR and somebody needs to say it:  she's pretty hot.

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 06:21:41 PM »
great book, saw her talk in Seattle. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

MTBer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »
Great book. Very well written.  Getting ready to start reading Devils Teeth. 

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »
Great book.  I am in awe of the 1,500 ft. wave that cleared out a forest in Alaska.  Jet skiing over the top of a 100' footer at Mav's too.  I love kindle books for the IPAD.  Great for traveling.
Aloha,
Tom English

Distressed Mullet

• Rincon Status
  • For the people who paddle
    • View Profile
    • Distressed Mullet
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 05:45:02 AM »
Amen on the Kindle. I love it. It's not good for books you have to reference, like recipes or workout books. It's hard to skip to sections. However, for books you just read through like novels or non-fiction like Devil's Teeth or The Wave, it's perfect. I assume the iPad is easier and more fun to skip around. I have the black and white kindle 2, but it works for me and it saves a ton of $ on books.

Some books offer a text to voice option on the kindle. I don't know if that's the same on the iPad, but I'd drive each week from Wilmington to Charleston for around 3 months last year. Being able to stick headphones in and listen to the book as I drove the 3-5 hours each way saved me from absolute commuting insanity.

It's also a great way to get newspapers. I can get the Wall Street Journal and the Philadelphia Enquirer (Eagles fan) for cheap with no trash.
Nothing heals like water time

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 06:33:41 AM »
With all the talk of this book I went out yesterday and bought it.  I am on a sort of vacation right now as I left my current employer last week and start a new position next week.  So I have some time to read.  Also, all of the downwinder and epic posts that have been on the forum the past couple of weeks had me stoked to read the book.  Got in about 100 pages last night and really enjoyed it.  I live in FL where we don't really get much exposure to these conditions but I do live for my time on the water.  I guess the best thing for me is that I had the opportunity a few years ago to spend a couple of weeks on Maui so I have been to a lot of the places she has mentioned so far.  My wife noticed that I was wearing my Haiilemaille General Store tshirt as I read the book in bed last night.  Is it still there?  Had a great meal there one night.  I remember one day while we were there I sat on the beach at Hookipa for hours watching the surfers and windsurfers.  Now that I have gotten so totally hooked on the SUP I feel even more connected.  Guess I need to start scheming a way to get to the island during these prime winter days......next year. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 07:14:36 AM »
Not only is Haile Maile still there (and still great--had lunch there a couple of weeks ago) but it's now just across the street from the Ding King/Sandwich Island Composites so you can walk over after lunch and see all the new toys Mark and his crew are building. Of course you need to be careful, it can be a very expensive lunch. I looked at the new bullet and my wallet got dizzyingly light.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mbarnhar

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2010, 07:26:49 PM »
Watched "100 ft Wednesday" the other night...got it from Netflix.  Was released in 2002...so kind of dated but still amazing Mavericks footage, including footage of the big sets that rolled in the same day the lifeguards rode over the 100ft wave on their jetski (described in "The Wave" book).

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin