Author Topic: Battle Of The Paddle - personal reports/highlights  (Read 11023 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Battle Of The Paddle - personal reports/highlights
« on: October 03, 2010, 07:25:13 PM »
Ok, Just got home.

I wanna hear (and I'm sure the organizers would too) the highlights of the event for those that went.

Mine are these:

Doheny was open to SUP and Saturday had a fun little wave that I wore myself out on.

Got to ride a ton of boards (in the above surf)

The race format is amazing, so fun to watch the carnage and near misses. Truly exciting.

The "stars" of the sport are all pretty humble and nice. Chuck P and Rob Rojas (and a few other pros) were out in the water during the kids races helping them get in and out of the surf and keeping folks safe, really truly cool to see. If I'd been a kid, I'd have freaked if my heroes came and helped me get back on my board when I bailed. It made me smile. Gerry Lopez caught a wave on the way in of the last lap of the relay and held his paddle overhead as the crowd cheered him home. Such a gracious guy and everything you'd want in a surf hero.

Sparky provides a model for all of us as to how to throw a party and live no matter what you're age. He raced, hosted, shook hands and was maybe the coolest CEO I've ever seen.

The vibe at this event is amazing. My girl and her parents came, none of whom who ride and they all commented on how much of a family vibe there was. Both from the amazing groms  everywhere to the parents riding and whole families competing. (I wanna be a Napolean) And the format of the races made it so you could watch the whole thing (other than distance of course) Laps and surf, make for excitement. (404 and a few others had grom-sized race boards that were so cool)

If you haven't been and you think you might make the trip, just do. It's a great time and I got to meet some folks from the board. (I stole the Uli Lopez demo from Steamroller and loved that thing, ok maybe I asked nicely since he's a hoss! But it was awesome to see him out in the surf and instantly know him.) H2O man let me cruise his Bark, which is always a blast (seriously, what a cool board) and he, as usual offered me amazing advice on surf logistics. (one beach entry pass works all over OC, what?) Linus let me park my Coreban around the booth and made me feel at home, as always. Rdubach and his girl kept the aloha flowing around there as well. I was looking for more of the crew, maybe next time we'll throw a meetup at the event.

In the minus, all minor:

I'd love to see better/more food. I'm thinking just call all the amazing gourmet food trucks that LA has to offer (or H2O Man, have a booth next year)

Actually, that's it, more food and some good coffee.

What about you guys, who went, what did you see/dig?

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: Battle Of The Paddle - personal reports/highlights
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 07:31:59 PM »
thanks for the report cowboy-did not attend this year-my son had an NSSA event in Huntington-sounds like a good time!-hey Admin!-set up a Zoners EZ-UP next year!? Maybe have some raffles-free subscription to one of the SUP mags-etc...
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 08:47:26 PM »
Surfcowboy--thanks for the report.  It adds a whole other dimension beyond just hearing about the results. 

I've been amazed at the local races and demos in the NW how accessible and friendly everyone is, right up to the fastest and most well-known people--Dave Kalama giving me private stroke tips at a Seattle demo, Greatdane getting interviewed after beating Chuck Patterson at Round the Rock (albeit on a longer board) and saying he admires the people still on the course on the slower boards, top finishers at the Ross Island races staying in the water to cheer on the stragglers...

It's nice to know that that's still true even at the most elite races.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 11:07:17 PM »
I got there at 6 am on Saturday and I'll verify... there was a super fun little left rolling from the south end of the beach with.... ZERO people surfing it a daybreak and then two stando guys out a bit later.

Total free pass day for surfing that day.... that's a whole reason to go right there.

I was going to surf it but the whole scene got me so amped I didn't even paddle out until a couple of hours before the Open race started. Water was warm too (compared to what we've had all "summer" down here).

Agreed: There could've/should've been huge food options! I didn't care too much though because I was, again, amping so hard for my race that my stomach was all crazy.

The Open Age Group race was fun and the distance (not sure if it ended up being 4 or 4.5 miles) was just about right for anybody considering doing a race for the first time. I totally dug it- and if I barged right across your line around any of the buoys... I apologize right here and now.

Did anybody else think those 404 race boards looked REALLY GOOD? If they made a wider version of one I might be tempted (lot's of wobbly people on raceboards falling during the Open Race).

Was super cool to see many of the Elite racers tuning up the day before at DogPatch, surfing their raceboards- those guys have serious talent.

In all, super fun and I'll do it again next year.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 12:07:19 AM »
Had a great time, as always, met lots of zoners, wore myself out dragging a giant kelp ball all the way to San Clemente and halfway back in the distance race. how stupid, I knew my board wasn't working, I just kept paddling. It wasn't until some really slow paddlers passed me that I finally jumped off and cleared out the mess.

Really nice to see so many Maui folks--the Baxters--including Ashley who I haven't seen for years, the Trouts, the Napoleans, Livio, etc.. Plus lots of Hood River, portland and Seattle friends. Karen Wrenn did really well all weekend. She sure has continued to raise her game.

I talked my friend Cameron Healy into doing the distance paddle. He enjoyed it. I bet there'll be a race board in the quiver soon.

Really great to hang out with Mickey Munoz for awhile. What a great guy. Good seeing Gerry Lopez. I'm going to beat him next year, I swear. He's in the geezer division now. I better start training. It ain't gonna be easy.

I'm sorry it's over, though my body is pretty happy to sit in the truck for the long drive back to Hood River.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:22:57 AM »
The OC register has a nice story with a slide show -

http://beach.freedomblogging.com/2010/10/02/thousands-show-for-battle-of-the-paddle/28764/

And if any of you wonder where my handle came from, check the shots from the Hawaiian blessing, my girl and I are front and center. Hit the link for a shot of "the cowboy". (I'm waiting on my sponsor checks from my hat sponsor and McD's. ;)

http://www.orangecounty.com/sections/article/gallery/?pic=29&id=8900

johnrg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 08:50:52 AM »
What a fantastic weekend. So glad to have participated. That Relay was just nuts to watch.

John

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 09:46:55 AM »
Wish I'd been able to go. Saw the webcast & it looked like a good time.

I hear the Puerto Ricans were there to compete & then out playing afterwards.

--
Bill

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 10:25:01 AM »
We need him up here on that foilboard to trim the kelp a bit.
(And you think SUP is a tough sell in a crowded line up).

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 11:06:41 AM »
No the ankle thing only marked your finish time. Yeah, that was a little funny how the guy first said it was four laps then changed it to five- a friend of mine (female) was soooo bummed- she had her heart set on four and when it went to five she was crushed. But she did win first place in the surfboard division for 30 - 39 year olds so she was STOKED!

I was in the surfboard division 40 - 49 year olds and ended up in fifth place- I was happy with my result and even more happy every time I passed somebody on a race board (hey, at this point I gotta take my victories where I can get 'em) especially if it looked like they were really trying  ;) (somebody tell me what's missing in my life that I got such pleasure from that.... I've got issues, I know).

I did lap some in the surfboard division especially on the fifth loop. There was lots of chop out there and, like I said before, a lot of folks were falling. I fell in my first lap at the fourth turn when somebody on a white raceboard (14'?) ran over my foot- I watched the two faster guys on surfboards (I was trying to keep up with them the whole time) just paddle away- there was no way I could catch them after that.

A really fun time!

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 12:33:44 PM »
Ditto on the food options, but I have a built in fuel tanks that I always carry around.

So many good thing to like about the event weekend.  Loved getting time on all the boards and agree with John on the "free pass" waves!  Got to share the face with Lopez at San-o the day before.  The "Open Battle" wasn't my cup of tea.  I lost interest in going round, around in a square, all the while being banged about in a washing machine of paddle blades.  When we rounded the Hammer, the set waves were looking too good, so I un-bibbed and made my way in to catch some of fun.  The only real "bad" is the rock damage to my feet and hand while surfing.  Ouch

I uploaded a few photos on my FB earlier today.  Looking forward to watching the upcoming C-Street standup surf contest.

KIWI, LISA & JOHN getting their paperwork done.

Big Ed

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 01:52:15 PM »

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »
Hey Big Ed was "FYI open race was 4.83 on GPS" for 4 or 5 laps?

I was certain I had heard just prior to the start of the Open Race the laps changed to 5 from 4 correcting what was posted on the web.

I thought it was just my brain fart when I went 5 laps only to discover the majority of the field went 4.

Am I still screwed up on what was announced and the actual laps traveled by the winners????

caseyg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 03:11:52 PM »
I had similar experiences in my first BOP.  Wasn't sure what to expect, but it is one of the best things I have ever done.  So many heroes of the sport there.  You could easily walk up and talk to any one of them.  All are such class acts.  Very easy to talk to.  There were lots of after hours activities for us to all mingle and talk story.  The races were as crazy as everyone said they would be. 

All in all, if you have ever considered going to one of these, do it next year.  You won't be disappointed.  SUP is a family sport, but in this case, it has a double meaning.  Great fun for the whole family, but even more the whole event had a strong family vibe to it.  It was just like one big happy family out there.  Thanks to Facebook and this forum, many people were already familiar with each other and it was so cool to meet your online friends in real life.  Well worth my travel investment.

Casey

mookdog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 03:32:26 PM »
I think the 4 or 5 lap confusion was really a problem.  I saw many people who were getting lapped follow the leaders in after only 4.  The race website said 4, then the beach announcement said 5.  On  the beach there was plenty of "did he say 4 or 5?" questions.

Just my 2 cents for next year.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
foiled again
April 25, 2024, 07:28:05 PM