Author Topic: Danny Ching Wins BOP Elite...Again!  (Read 16115 times)

FB1

Re: Danny Ching Wins BOP Elite...Again!
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »
"No need to get so worked up...many other people in the open race and many elite racers felt the same way I did.  The numbers are just getting so big in the these races that a little more order would really benefit the sport and add more legitimacy and respect for the top paddlers in the world."

Longboarder 73, no bodies getting worked up here. But your comment below openned a can of worms, so lets roll with it. You called him out as an "Elite guy". Maybe he's an "Open guy" in the "Elite" race.
"WOW...an Elite guy winning the Open division...doesnt exactly seem fair does it?  
Hope he is proud to drop down and win in the Open."

I do agree with you totally on having more order in the races. The BOP series will probably be on the east coast next year and multiple overseas event within a few years. Race class qualifying heats will have to be held on Friday soon to make the racing more managable and fairer. With the top 50 or so competitors from each BOP class racing in the finals on Saturday. Then on Sunday the Distance races, juniors and relays etc.

longboarder1973

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 08:55:31 AM »
This comment is a slam "WOW...an Elite guy winning the Open division...doesnt exactly seem fair does it? 
Hope he is proud to drop down and win in the Open"

Having a beer is the best thing you've said yet :)
Anyway ...   Moving on ....

Cheers 2 u 2

I guess you are right Aussie, I can see that being a slam.  I apologize!

Moving on sounds good... :)

longboarder1973

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 09:04:26 AM »
FB1

It is always tough putting those damn worms back in the can, isnt it?
Anyway...Regardless of what anyone thinks about the situation, it is very impressive from a physical standpoint that someone(no matter what class of racer they consider themself) can compete in and do so well in 2 races in one day...congrats to the aussie for that.

FB1...You are stating my point better than I.  I know a few more races will be a pain in the rear for management, but it will add legitimacy to our sport.  With so much talk about future Olympic consideration, I think we need some structure.
East Coast would be cool!  I hadnt heard that!  I did hear France, which I thought would come after East Coast and Australia.  But I know the sport is growing super fast in Europe too.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 09:12:04 AM »
I like that people can race multiple races but I agree, there were folks in the Elite who shouldn't have been there. Some sort of qualifier should maybe be in the system, but remember, this was just all started for fun, it's not like we're going to the Olympics. (yet)

Also, this is a weird little sport. Almost no one makes a living yet, just from this. As was said, even a lot of the "pros" have day jobs. (most) so we need to remember that. It's early.

Also, something a lot of folks don't even see is that probably half of the board and accessory companies are not even full time jobs yet.  (a lot of folks at BOP seemed to be wrapping their daily drivers with logos to look more like the Roxy and Quicksilver rigs parked there.) This thing is tiny still.

What I think is coming, and soon, is a washing out of some of our "pros". I feel like Ching and other new guys are going to move some of the early-adopter pros down a bit. (remember, there for a while, you could just show up and win a class on a surfboard because there weren't many folks competing) I've noticed a lot of movement in the top events with new folks coming on. Next year will be interesting to watch as the true athletes rise to the top while "guys who can paddle a bit" sink down. We are watching the birth of a sport. Kinda neat.

That said, the fact that someone can just show up and smoke the field is really cool and at least for the next year or two, it's gonna keep happening as guys come over from other paddle sports. Just like prone surfers dominated (and still do) the surf contests.

I say, let it work itself out and I agree, no one enters the open class to win and what other sport can you actually match up against a top pro? If your ego's in check, it's a pretty cool thing to have a time against the "pros".

Maybe we let them race but not count their times? Or maybe 2 classes, same course at the same time but if you were in the Elite, it's a different rank? That'd make it easy on the race promoters and also fair for the "weekenders".

"Elite Open" sounds good to me.

aussie

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 04:13:17 AM »
Dear Longboarder 1973
Thank you for your apology.
All the Best
Aussie  ;)

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 07:23:41 AM »
I got fifth in surfboard division dropped down to BEER GARDEN and FRICKIN' WON that thing... I challenge any AUSSIE who wants a piece of the throne to meet me in the beer garden event next year  ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 10:15:55 AM »
Lots of folks did all the races. More power to them. And you can still win by picking the right board the being the right age. I got first in the open class 60-69 Unlimited. Beat the ONE other guy. Decisively. I think I came in about 130th. Got third in the distance race towing half the kelp in Dana Point. Why did I get third? More geezers chose unlimited boards (Gerry and Sparky) otherwise I would have been first again.

Really the only thing that kept me from doing the elite race was the 200 bux and the notion of getting lapped too many times. Going the other way was simply a rational bargain--85 bux and you're pretty sure to be at the pointy end.

Bottom line for the BOP is that it absolutely not broken, so I certainly hope no one fixes it. It's a great weekend, a really fun event both to spectate and to participate in. If you're anywhere within a few thousand miles and you don't go then you're missing something really wonderful.

One other thing. SUP folks are some of the finest people I've ever met. No idea why that's so, but they sure are. Fun to spend time with, welcoming, and very interesting. I've been involved in a lot of sports. I'm very used to this not being the case. Race motorcycles for awhile and you'll see what I mean. Vintage Car Racing is a close second, but SUP racing is tops for quality folks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 03:18:57 PM »
 PonoBill... It (almost) always brings a smile to my face when I read your posts... Maybe next year I can get out there and the whole three of us 'old geezers' can scrap it out for first  ;D...           Later, JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

dalidali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • KayakSport.net
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 07:19:25 PM »
I like a woman who stands up for her husband!!!
I like Longboarder 1973 who had the guts to apologize and offer a peace pipe.
What a great bunch.

When we were at the World Master Games in Edmonton, in the mixed K4 where the four person kayak was to be powered by two men and two women, the Aussies sneaked in a third guy. He tried hard to look and move like a woman, but it was like one of those transvestites walking in miniskirt with tiny ass and legs like a horse.
We looked at them at the start and asked if one of them had recent sex change or, as used to be Down Under, were simply short of females and if so, we could loan them one. They almost fell out of the boat laughing.

Anyway, wherever I raced, I found the Aussies the most friendly, delightful and fun people and I am glad that this controversy ended in a friendly manner.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2011, 07:27:55 PM »

When we were at the World Master Games in Edmonton, in the mixed K4 where the four person kayak was to be powered by two men and two women, the Aussies sneaked in a third guy. He tried hard to look and move like a woman, but it was like one of those transvestites walking in miniskirt with tiny ass and legs like a horse.
We looked at them at the start and asked if one of them had recent sex change or, as used to be Down Under, were simply short of females and if so, we could loan them one. They almost fell out of the boat laughing.

Anyway, wherever I raced, I found the Aussies the most friendly, delightful and fun people and I am glad that this controversy ended in a friendly manner.

When she used the guys toilets.. Now that should have been a give-away..  ;D

DJ

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 09:33:52 AM »
dalidali - - you were in Edmonton for the Masters Games?
I live in Edmonton.

Small world.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

dalidali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • KayakSport.net
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 11:00:55 AM »
Yeah,
In fact, I supplied boats (for free) for the whole Aussie Team. And Russians and everyone.
Won gold in K4 and OC6 and silvers in K1 and K2 (both behind  damn good Aussies).
My girlfriend won 2 gold.
It was fun.
Then a friend of mine sucked me into SUP 10 months ago and I love it.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »
^^^ where do you live?
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

dalidali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • KayakSport.net
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »
Toronto
if you want to go personal outside the forum kayaksport@rogers.com

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]