Author Topic: Training for Round the Rock  (Read 1955 times)

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Training for Round the Rock
« on: September 06, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »
I would like to get some input from folks on this forum.  I have been training for the Round the Rock race which will be occurring this coming Sunday (12 Sep).  It is 13 miles long.  I have not raced such a long race before but am practicing by putting in 6-7 mile paddles every other day and a 10 miler once a week in Puget Sound.  Little concerned about the 13 miles but think I can make it.  Any suggestions on how often to stop for water ?  I have noticed after an hour of non-stop paddling, I get pretty dehydrated.  Also - how hard does one push themselves at the start ?

Thanks

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Training for Round the Rock
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:24:11 PM »
bing--I'm no expert (Round the Rock will be my longest SUP race by 9 miles) but if you're doing 10 milers in training--esp. on the Sound--I wouldn't think you'd have any problem with the distance, unless conditions were horrible.

I'm not planning to push myself at all at the start.  Based on my experience with running and swimming distance races, even pacing is almost always best.  If you go out too fast, you'll slow down by twice that--or more--later on.  There could be exceptions to this--elite racers wanting to stay with a pack, or maybe some early maneuvering to not get boxed in--but basically I'll be trying to keep my race jitters in check and not go faster than a pace that I'm sure I can hold for the whole race.  If I feel great with a few miles left, I can always speed up.  There's no worse feeling than getting passed by one person after another late in a race.  

If it's as choppy as I heard it was last year, I'll be stopping for water several times around the north end (lake water, that is).  Otherwise, I'm planning to strap a water bottle or two to my board, and drink periodically, playing it by ear, and starting before I'm thirsty--that's worked in training.  Not ideal--I'll get some sort of hydration pack sometime, but am going to see what other people do this time, and maybe get one for next year.  

I'm also thinking of taping a box of a dozen Top Pot Donuts to my board, or maybe some Dick's cheeseburgers.  Obviously I'm a former Seattlite missing some of those things...

Would also love to hear others' comments.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 05:54:27 PM »
Really, you'll want a camelback. Dave K says no--bottles are better, but then he managed to dehydrate himself pretty convincingly during a recent race as I recall. I add some electrolyte junk to the water. Drink as much as you can before, and then drink before your mouth gets dry. Drink more than you think you need to.

As far as the training goes, if you can do ten you can do thirteen. The pace kind of takes care of itself in my opinion. Most folks start out pretty strong and then settle into something they are comfortable with. It's pretty much only the fast folks that push the pace all the time. It's not a bad idea to start strong. For some reason it's really hard to pass in SUP racing, and if you get a good position at the start you may be able to hold it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 06:20:34 PM »
Thanks PDX and PonoBill for the input.  Dick's Cheese Burgers !  Great Idea  ;) PonoBill - Which camelback would you suggest?  The input on when your mouth gets dry to drink at that time sounds like a good practice.  I am going to be paddling with a couple of buddies. Not planning on winning but to complete the race and have fun.  My average speeds on my C4 Vortice have been around 3.3 mph for the 6 to 10 mile runs.  This includes fighting upwind with a lot of chop for at least half of the runs.  2 mph into the wind and a little over 4 mph downwinding or flat water.

I am hearing there may be upwards of 200 racers in the 13 mile race.   

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:46:01 PM »
Upward of 200 racers--wow!  But even 300 or more wouldn't surprise me.  It sounds like a great race.

As long as it's not exactly 288.  That would just be two gross. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf