Author Topic: SUP racing Aussie style.  (Read 4617 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP racing Aussie style.
« on: February 11, 2008, 01:41:38 AM »
Yesterday in Melbourne (Oz) we had our very first SUP comp for this part of the world...It was a SUP race.

The local windsurfing/kitesurfing/snowboarding/and now SUP shop put on the event..The shop's called SHQ (sailboard headquarters)..

It's Melbourne biggest surf shop..(imo)..and good on them for getting behind this new sport.

SHQ have a great set up with the main shop on the hwy..and a kiosk type clubhouse down on the nearby beach.

Downstairs was the cafe/kiosk..and upstairs a sort of clubroom and telly (maybe even watch the cricket if you're into that. ;D)

I had no idea what the turn up was going to be like because although I never see anyone also doing it myself I knew they were out there somewhere..and I guess we had between 15-20 enter the event.

There was everything from old windsurfers to new C4 boards.

Down on the beach Mike (the shop owner) told us all the rules for the race...Basicly..'no cheating' and have fun..  ;D

The idea was to put you board on the sand next to the water..and walk back about 100 yards/meters to the edge of the sand and when he says "go"..you run to your board and paddle like hell.. ;D

The beaches in Melbourne are only bay beaches..so there's no real swell..just wind swell..and the wind was picking up..Bugger!!..and it's a head wind..Double bugger!!.. ;D

We had to paddle around a yellow pole about two hundred yards/meters out from the shore..and head to the point in the far distance..round another similar yellow pole..and then race back...Sounds easy.

We're off and racing..I think I'm still on the sand jogging to my board..I wasn't keen to run...Saving energy was my plan.

By the time I got my board in the water..rinsed out the shells etc out of my crocs..and got going they were almost all already around the yellow pole..I thought "I'll catch em"

I got into a nice rhythm and decided to head out wide as the main pack kept closer to the shore..and I was catching..slowly..and passing some..slowly...I could see the first three up ahead and was aiming at getting on the tail of third..I paddled hard...but...they must have been paddling harder..I was loosing ground on third...I tried paddling harder but started to get cramp type pain in my upper stomic..It was either my 50yr old abs begging for mercy..or the greasy McDonalds that I had for breakie.

I had to back off...but I was getting closer to the rounding pole and two guys on my left were racing to beat me around it...We were heading for a collision..I backed off and let them through..The guy in front of the two fell in and slowed them up...I tried not to laugh out loud..but couldn't help grinning from ear to ear.

I here behind me the guy that fell is says to his mate.."That was nice and cool..You should try it"..I thought yeah right...but to my surprise the two were back on my tail..and gaining..It was about the 40 minute mark and I was feeling like I was going to die..I've race Mt bikes and it was like riding up a big hill and you know you will go into the red if you don't back off.

I decide to back off slightly and the two behind passed me...I thought I would just have to go into survival mode..The stomach pain was passing..but my mouth was so dry..The sun was burning on my face (even with glasses and peak) and I had a sweat drip on the end of my nose and chin..I pushed on.

I was almost at the rounding pole to head back to the beach and this guy in red shorts came from nowhere to pass me..I thought "no you don't"..and dug deap..I got a better line around the pole..and beat him to the beach...I felt like a winner..I asked someone.."did I win?"..just kidding.

I'm not sure where I finished..about seventh I think..I knew I had done my best so I was a happy-chappy.

Matt had won...and good on him I thought.

Big Dave (the C4 man) was second.

Wes (Aussie Laird) was third.

This is me..and feeling like a winner.. ;D

After the race it was time for the kids to have some fun.

Next it was back to the barbie (BBQ)

Mmmmm!!!

Time to relax.

Matt was the deserving winner.

Mike said there was ten prizes to give out so the top ten would go into a lucky draw.

There was smiles all round as prizes were given out..some guys got paddles..some got board bags, deck grip...heaps of great stuff...Not bad for a ten dollar entry fee.

I even finished in the top ten and got a great prize...Waa-Hoo!

I was asked to give a small talk about SUP'ing...I though "here's the blind leading the blind".. ;D..That's me in the grey shirt...it all went well...Wes (Aussie Laird) gave a talk about SUP'ing in the waves.

All in all it was a great day..We all had fun..It was perfect weather..and I can't wait for the next one.

DJ

After doing all this I just realized maybe I should have posted this in the sessions section..ooops.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:01:44 AM by DavidJohn »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: SUP racing Aussie style.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 04:49:59 AM »
Good story.

Ever think about becoming a blogger? You have lots of fun stuff to write about. Blogging is easy using www.blogspot.com

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 04:53:47 AM »
Looks like it was a great event. We need to do that sort of gathering here . Thanks for sharing. DW is right, you have a lot of material to share with all of us.  I enjoy all of it.  Great job. 
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:57:36 AM »
Good call on davidjohn becoming the AU blogger. 

Looks like fun and I like the concent

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 09:23:32 AM »
Your stories always bring a smile to my face DJ.  Keep em coming. Great representation of us older guys too. 7th looks pretty respectable in that crew. Like Mike (ECSUP) told me on my 50th..."You have to grow old you don't have to grow up".
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 09:54:29 AM »
DJ, great story and great job!  I liked the photos and cannot believe what a turnout you had.  I think the same will be happening here in the US this summer, especially on the east once the starts to get warmer.  keep them coming!

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 10:26:11 AM »
Great story I see you being a Blogging Bugger in the future.  LOL
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 09:37:05 PM »
Really nice story and pics DJ. You're elected...the auzzieblogger...

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 11:07:16 PM »
GREAT pics....i enjoyed it ..thanks for posting... ;D

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 11:47:49 PM »
Looks like you guys had a blast and got blessed with some awesome weather.  Were there any ladies in the contest or just guys?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 04:32:16 PM »
Looks like you guys had a blast and got blessed with some awesome weather.  Were there any ladies in the contest or just guys?

There was only one female..and she did very well and finished third.... ;D....(Jeeez I'll be in trouble now).

Just kidding Wes...Really...(lucky he lives a long way from me).

Actually just when we were about to start..I'm waiting for the GO!..and I look around and think 'where's Wes'.

Be was in the bushes behind us having a quick nervous pee.. :o....and yeah..he was standing up.. ;D

Also thanks everyone for your kind words..I'm glad you liked my pics...I can't see myself as a blogger..whatever that is...I'm lucky to be able to post a pic..sorry about all the spelling errors...I was rushing it a bit..and I can't spell.. ;D

DJ

snappy

• Rincon Status
  • what I ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 09:51:01 PM »
Those crocs are slowing  you down man.You'll have to toughen those toes up and go naked next time and win for the stand up zone.
Well done Davidjohn cheers mate.

champcrow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 07:25:50 PM »
Hey DJ,

Once again great stuff mate, looked like a great day good to see the surf shop getting right behind the SUP explosion ;D  here in oz. I like the kiosk/club that they have down the beach as well looks like a great place to meet.

cheers

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 02:58:45 AM »
Yesterday I got my new CF Naish paddle...and used it today...T'was very nice.. ;D

It also came with a bag to carry it in.

DJ

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards