Author Topic: Paddle Technique Suggestions??  (Read 4339 times)

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Paddle Technique Suggestions??
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:26:58 AM »
Video that I shot to analyze my paddle technique again after reading and watching for another year.  I tried a couple different strokes and was just curious if anybody wanted to comment on general technique.  I feel like I may be leaning too far forward on some of these passes?  It's not the best video and quite boring to watch - sorry!!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:32:43 AM by crtraveler »
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle Technique Suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 12:03:31 PM »
How long is your paddle?
Seems a little short to me.

my 2¢
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »
Your paddle looks short

Not enough reach (note, someone will ALWAYS say that). Because your paddle is too short and your reach too short you are not getting enough power into the catch.

You are not stacking your shoulders enough and not engaging your torso. When you stack your shoulders the paddle will be more vertical (in relation to the plane of the board top). All these things together let you punch the paddle out, get a full reach, engage the torso right at the catch, get power into the early pull, and start thinking about getting the paddle back out of the water.

Thinking about these things will distract you and screw up your stroke. You'll drop back to what you're comfortable with. You need to force yourself to take disciplined strokes at least half time you are paddling so the muscle memory starts to print.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:30:36 PM »
I think Easy's right...looks short for flatwater.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 01:07:57 PM »
As everyone said, I think the biggest problem is that the paddle is too short, which prevents you from reaching more forward to grab the water at the beginning of the stroke.  This results in having to pull the paddle further back at the end of the stroke; and once the paddle face goes beyond vertical (in the video where the paddle is going further back than your feet), if you are putting any pressure on the paddle you are actually creating a downward force and pulling the board down further into the water.  This will cause drag and slow you down significantly.  The whole idea is to get as much glide as you can and try not to do anything to create drag.

On the other hand, you appear to have a good "power U" alignment of the paddle through your shoulders, and you are not breaking your elbows or wrists too much, which is good.

With a longer paddle you could reach further and get the twist and rotation from your torso, engaging your core into the power of the stroke.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 06:39:43 PM »
Wow - Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback.....I'll measure the paddle tomorrow and let you know the numbers.  It feels like it is just right for me but maybe not.....??
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:37:28 AM »
^^^ A good "ball park" for flat water is for the top of the handle to be right at the heal of your hand when your arm is stretched straight up over your head.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 06:34:08 PM »
OK - got the #'s....I'm 6'3" (75") and the paddle measures in at 82", so 7" over my head, which I guess is a bit short for flatwater, maybe more ideal for surf??  What have you found the perfect length for a paddle that you use in surf and flatwater to be?  Is there such a thing?
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 02:12:06 PM »
How long are your arms - - the "over your head" measurement doesn't account for people with long (or short) arms.

As I posted - measure to the heal of your hand when your arm is straight over your head.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 02:31:23 PM »
OK - got the #'s....I'm 6'3" (75") and the paddle measures in at 82", so 7" over my head, which I guess is a bit short for flatwater, maybe more ideal for surf??  What have you found the perfect length for a paddle that you use in surf and flatwater to be?  Is there such a thing?
Just to give you a reference point, I'm 5'11" and I use a 85" blade for non-surfing applications.  My surfing blade is 79".  Although it sucks to have to buy multiple paddles, it doesn't work for me to use one paddle for both.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 03:41:52 PM »
Paddle Technique Suggestions??

It looks pretty good to me.. btw I'm about your height and my surf paddle is 8" over and my flat water paddle is 12" over.

If I had to pick something in your vid I'd say try and do smaller circles with you top arm (hand) and use the lower arm more to bring the paddle back forward after the stroke.

There's lots of slightly different paddling styles out there now and it's not such a big deal to be doing it exactly right.. and what's right will vary between people.

DJ

JustPaddle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:25:53 AM by JustPaddle »

longboardsurfing

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »
Interesting technique videos from:

Jim Terrell Quick Blade