Author Topic: PSH 8'6 and 9'4 Wide Rippers  (Read 15085 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: PSH 8'6 and 9'4 Wide Rippers
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »
The guy that makes them is in a factory in china.  He screwed up the two that he made for me and the wait was long.  I am angry but not at the world but about weak boards and bad service.

My 2 cents........

I think you may have learned the hard way (in part) why Blane stopped distributing boards himself and let Boardworks take over. Blane is now concentrating on what he does best, R&D. He's letting the pros (Boardworks) handle production and distribution. He's come a long way in a short time.

joelcr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 04:27:49 PM »
Okay, so I went back and reread MotoPilot's original post and just saw some photos of his new boards and a description of them. We don't even know if he will like them or not, as he hasn't even had a chance to ride and evaluate them yet.

To make up an imagined rave post that he may or may not write is preposterous. If you(Stickler), don't like PSH boards and the quality thereof, that is an entirely different issue. Go ahead and post on your own, and show us how your boards were inferior. As you are suspicious of people who only write rave reviews(as Moto has not as yet done), I am leery of people who jump on forums universally panning one brand or the other. Trust, but verify.

I have owned, and ridden, a few different PSH boards, and have had no issue with the build quality, or design. And I have tried, and owned, other maker's boards as well. For me, they just surf the best. Blane is an exceptional shaper in my opinion, and he came on this site and explained how he came to his decision to have boards produced overseas. Just like Apple, Intel, and Ford. American companies all.

Let's just wait and see what Moto has to say about his new boards, and realize it is just one man's opinion about his own personal observations. Take it or leave it.

JStickler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 07:50:23 AM »
Its not an imagined rave post.  I read these REVIEWS from the same people that talk to each other here to keep these posts going.  If anyone says anything bad or true they get knocked down.  If you dont like hearing it then dont read what I write.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
A lot of folks have been waiting  a long time for the new bamboo veneer PSH boards.  I'm looking for honest reviews from those who now own and ride them . I'm also looking for an honest review of the other very important issue-   how they hold up.  Please share both.

Ronan "Doc Jacobs"

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 11:35:24 PM »
We'll, i'll try to be honest...
Seen from far overseas, that controversy seems unfair for Motopilot.
I'm not a pro-surfer, I pay for my boards, and got my 8'6" WR a month ago. I tried it in various conditions, from small to 7', it's summer here(France). I started with the stock setup and changed for Futures Controllers(very good fins)...
What may I say about this board? She's a real beauty, light, reactive, stable in chop, easy to turn. So far my best SUP board ever

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 05:10:12 AM »
Its not an imagined rave post.  I read these REVIEWS from the same people that talk to each other here to keep these posts going.  If anyone says anything bad or true they get knocked down.  If you dont like hearing it then dont read what I write.

That is totally untrue.....There are a number of posts here recently regarding potential issues w/ some PSH boards (and Naish and others).  The person posting was encouraged by everyone to take it up w/ Boardworks / PSH and hopefully find a solution.  There is no need to single out someone to take out your personal frustrations on.  When Moto does write his review, I personally am confident that we will get an unbiased review of the boards.  So what if he likes a particular brand or shop.....don't we all have our favorites?  And, just for the record, I love PSH as well, but would not consider buying either of these boards because I don't like the shapes and they don't float me at all and I don't have any interest in surfing short SUP's .......is that review OK w/ you?, unbiased enough?  -   I am glad to see that Moto is fired up about his boards, and all of us (who are here for the right reasons) are excited for him......
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

jlv

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 03:03:07 AM »
so motopilot, pictures in action and a review you promise?

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 11:05:34 AM »
so motopilot, pictures in action and a review you promise?

Hi guys.  Well the main reason I have not done anything on this thread was we have has no surf/and I was working...til the past week or so,  Thanks to Earl we had 4 days of some really fun amazing surf.  I was able to ride both boards a couple of days each.  The 94 2x and the 86 3x.  I have a couple of photos on the 86 but they are not the best.  Shooting early morning into the sun just does not work.  But overall both boards are amazing.  Also in reviewing each board please note that these are my first boards using Quads.  I feel that this was a night and day change.  To those of you who are on quads, you are right.  I will not be changing back.

Here the 8'6 Wide Ripper.
I had this board out 3 days in everything from waist to overhead conditions.  By the 3rd day I was plenty comfortable on the board paddling around and throught the impact zone.  It is stable but yes it is 86.  The float is fine for someone my size (190) but the sweetspot is not very big  so anyone over 210lbs this might seem pretty small.  Catching waves on it was no harder than on my 92AA.  The narrow nose did help in late drops  but yet was still able to get in just as early on flatter surf.  The one thing I noticed was the SPEED of this board.  Again this could be a conbination of the quad setup as well but I was able to get around so many sections and carry so much speed all over the wave.  With the quads so far out on the rail you can really stay high on the wave and drive the board through the turn.  Never was I at a loss for speed even in the smalle surf.  Just in the smaller surf you had to work the board under your feet to keep it moving as it does not glide as well as a larger board.  For any surf over thigh high this is what I am taking out.  The combination of the speed drive and looseness of this board makes it a great SURF SUP.  

As far as the durability goes, I do not have any pressure dents yet but will be watching and will update if so.  The big thing to me is the light weight so if some pressure dents happen I am not worried.  Also I took quite a few on the head this weekend and the board got worked in the surf a couple of times , no dings etc.  I would be more worried from damage going to and from the beach more than in the impact zone (I use a boardbag).

As far as cons go, this is a SURF SUP.  If you want a board for cruising/lakes , etc this is not the board for you.  Its a fast board but will not glide like a 10'. If you bang the rails alot with the paddle than this might not be the board for you.  But if you are looking for a high performance SUP that will rip in the surf I would suggest you try on of these.  Also I choose the wide for the stability.  I know  Strand Leper rides the reg size but with the distance we paddle out to the break I felt more comfortable with the wider.  Also with any kind of chop i do not think I could handle the narrow, but that is just me.

If any of you are in the area you are more than welcome to try it when I am out.  ALso the quad setup I used was the PSH ones.  Here are a couple of pics from this weekend.  Again not the best quality  but was the best we could do.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:07:19 AM by motopilot »

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 01:53:19 PM »
 Welcome to the 'short surf sup club', motopilot. Btw: like that cranking bottom turn in the last frame...         Later,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 04:15:02 PM »
How did the 9'4" wide ripper do?  Can it handle someone of size?  over 220lbs?  Glad to hear you like the 8'6"  looks like it rips.  Thanks to Earl for the fun waves.

montereymichael

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 07:06:49 PM »
hi motopilot.

first post after lurking for months. i see that you've got history with the 9'2"aa. been considering the 9'4"wr as a replacement for my 9'2"aa...love how it surfs once it gets going, but it is quite difficult for me to manage in bump/rip/crosschop at local beachbreaks. i'm 6'2" 185#.

my questions for you: is the 9'4"wr notably more stable than the 9'2"aa; how would you compare their surfing/paddling characteristics?

i alternately come in from sessions thinking "this board is just too good to change...just get used to it," and "damnit, that sandbar is just too good to be falling off this board just standing around."

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 06:21:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Yes the 94 is more stable than the 92 bt is much looser. The narrow nose o n the 94 as well as being flippped up helps with late showbreak drops which was my only complaint on the 92. I was deciding between the 92ripper and 94ripper and glad I went larger for the stability in the chop. Its more stable faster and a great shape. Also I love the quad setup which I could not do on the 92aa which makes the board snappier. I too loved the 92aa and still have mine. Also the new board is so much lighter as well. Hope this helps.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 07:53:14 AM »
i saw both these boards at a shop by me both are sick the 8'6 is more my speed and is sweet at 30inches wide, only thing i dont like on them is the kicked up noses i see how it works but looks to me like it would be easy to break. not the kind of board im into right now but sick none the less. if i had some money id think about getting one as a bigger wave board.

montereymichael

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
motopilot:

thanks for the feedback...i'll start saving $, maybe sell of some excess kiting gear.

one follow up question: not clear from the second sentence of your reply, are you saying

1. the 9'4"wr is more stable AND looser than the 9'2"aa

or

2. the 9'4" is more stable, BUT the 9'2" is looser ?

jlv

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 10:59:21 AM »
exactly the same, selling some kite gear
but what about the difference beetween 94wr and 8.6wr, not so much volume on the 94wr

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin