Author Topic: Fin design  (Read 5330 times)

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
Fin design
« on: January 24, 2008, 11:26:41 AM »
I've bought my board with a (too) big 9"75 single fin.
As i did change my fin for a (too) small one, i notice it has something to do with stability and row.
THe deeper it is, more stability you get. I think about trying this vintage da cat design.

Does any supzoner have an opinion about this?

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
Re: Fin design
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 03:04:46 PM »
Experimenting with fins is one of the funnest things you can do with a board. It's amazing how a different fin can make your board paddle or surf differently. Your personal preferences will enter in to the equation too. I love fins with lots of flex and most of my friends don't. I like the snap they give your board coming off the bottom and I think a flex fin is much more forgiving and less stiff riding high and fast in the wave. My favorite fin right now is a 9" Rusty FCS fin. I've got five or six other ones, and have surfed my board with them all, but I keep putting the 9" flex fin back in the box.

All I can say is try as many fins as you can get your hands on and see how you like them.

Gdub

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 06:08:55 PM »
While we're at it, how about side fins?  I haven't tried leaving them behind for long distance paddles. 
Is center fin only the best way to tackle the coast runs?

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 04:22:55 AM »
gary is right: it's amazing how much difference fin size and shape makes.  i hated my 12-6 starboard with the 6"-7" stock fin; then on advice from ponobill i swapped out for a 9.5" fin and it was a whole new much better board.  it's quite crazy how much better it is.
   i'm still trying to find the best fin for me and my jimmy11.  the stock 13" fin is just too much fin.  i've got a 10" dewey weber hatchet fin on it now and it's much better but still not perfect.  i'd like to give a 9"- 10" pivot fin a go.  anyone here tried a pivot?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:42:09 AM »
I have yet to try changing the fin in my Starboard. Bill had the 9.5 Farberow flexifin in the box and I haven't touched it. I am going to try some thrusters though.

One thing I definitely want to try is to put the centerboard fin in the slot for downwinders. I'm concerned about my stability for the 7P's paddle this summer and that would be a way to add max stability for the long open ocean crossing.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 11:36:09 AM »
With the 9"75 fcs fin, at the end of a power turn, the board comes out of control:
going right then left then right very quickly like a large vibration. I say to myself: "this is why side fins have been invented and this is why side fins have an angle".
A smaller single fin can rip and so avoid this phenomen. I'm going on trying as many fins as i can get like says Srfnrfff but i haven't felt the flex yet.
Is center fin only the best way to tackle the coast runs?
imho side fins are useless for long distance.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 04:06:09 PM »
Hi Linter

I too have the Jimmy Lewis 11' as my first Stand Up board. It also had the 13'' JL fin. Way too big for the board and for surfing. I had to experiment w/ fins. After a few fin changes I found out that the G&S 9'' sweep fin worked the best. It has pleanty of fin for flat water touring. It loosened up the tail so I can go rail to rail. Was able to hold a bottom turn frontside and backside and also redirect the board on the face of the wave. Its not super loose but was able to maneuver the board ''10 x's better'' from the stock fin. I do have a heavy back foot when I surf from using old 60's logs.
     See pic for the fin style and rake. Its sitting forward in the box. Of the four fins I owned and tried, this worked best.  Good luck, and have fun experimenting.   Glen

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 04:07:55 PM by gjbsup »
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 05:45:56 PM »
glen: thanks for the head's up on the G&S.  I'll go have a look for one.  Wonder if they make it in a 10"er.  For a little more stability -- I'm challenged that way -- I'd give up a little in other areas.  We'll see!  thanks again.

Richard

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 06:04:54 AM »
I have the same 9" True Ames fin [without the G&S logo]. Bought it to replace the much too big fin that came with my Infinity 10-8.

I really like this fin.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 09:41:12 AM »
I actually swapped fins from The JL 11' and put that True Ames fin on my new shaped board. Even thought I shaped a 2+1 fin set up I use it as a single fin.  It made my new board loose and menueverable as a single. .  I'll post a review of my board when I have time later..  I'd like to find another T.A. fin like that. Cant find that exact fin..  .. Keep looking   ...
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 01:35:44 PM »
I haven't the right fin for the right area so I actually put two fins in the single rail: a medium and a small one. Together they make the good area. Interesting feeling but not efficient at the best.

jethro

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
Fin placement is also a big factor in performance. 1/2" forward or back can alter a boards feel.

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 01:40:41 PM »
I have been using the 10" Wing nut cutaway on my 11' Infinity rounded pin and find that it is loose and turns with very little effort. It is a bit squirrly in the sections, but that's the way I have always ridden surfboards. Besides that is where the paddle comes in real handy
BOB
www.missionsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 10:50:41 PM »
I'm working on a long article on fin and board design for the first issue of Kenalu. I'll tell you there's a lot of snakeoil out there on this subject. but I'm working my way through it, and even though I don't have practical knowledge yet, I'll soon have all the theoretical information required to thoroughly confuse myself and anyone else.

really the article is coming out pretty good, when I'm ready to have it reviewed I'll give you guys access to it before it's posted, since the rest of the world won't see it until February 25th.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin