Author Topic: New Naish Glide 12' Need Help  (Read 13599 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Naish Glide 12' Need Help
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »
Yes, that yellow on the AST is a bitch to keep clean.  Mine has small marks on the rails from the mastic tape and the straps I bought when I brought it home left nice stripes across the bottom.  However, its a board, not a showroom car.  I tend to use my toys more than I baby them.

Simple Green is usually my cleaning savior, did nothing to cleaning the rails/bottom.  As a test, I was able to remove some of the paddle marks with 000 steel wool, but proceed with caution...don't get to aggressive.  Maybe a Scotch pad or something might be the way to go.  Just remember, you're just going to put more dirt and marks on as you use it. Fun first, clean 2nd.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

I agree.. These Erasers are amazing.. This is the one that I use.

DJ

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »
Thanks, I'll get one tonight.

beernuts

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 06:03:08 PM »
Yeah I figured a magic eraser would work great, ill have to pick one up to clean up the board. Tomorrow is going to be my second race ill be doing the 3.5 mile Gulf Cost Race in St Pete. I was out there today for the race clinic and was able to try a few other peoples boards and the difference was very apparent. My glide felt like a tippy canoe due to my lack of balance while the few other boards I hoped on were wider and much more stable.

So after this race I am going to demo several local boards and figure out if I am going to keep the glide or not. Its a really sweet board, and I know that I can grow into it. But I worry about the next few months of the board kicking my butt more than me having a good time. Maybe a glide will make a great 2nd board...

beernuts

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 05:52:30 PM »
Just so everyone knows magic erasers are pretty much a very fine sand paper. They take paint and clear coat off which is why they say not to use them on cars. Now I have no idea the painting process of the naish boards but having used a magic eraser yesterday on all of my novice mistake you can see clear differences in the paint. Areas that were matt are now glossy since the top paint was removed. So my boards nose has spots on it. The effects are less noticeable on the rails and bottom but you can see where i cleaned if you look hard enough.

I think I am going to go back over the nose and try to even the paint out so the whole nose it glossed rather than being spotted.  Anyone want to guess as to how much damage we may be causing to the paint in terms of protection?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 06:13:29 PM »
Just so everyone knows magic erasers are pretty much a very fine sand paper. They take paint and clear coat off which is why they say not to use them on cars. Now I have no idea the painting process of the naish boards but having used a magic eraser yesterday on all of my novice mistake you can see clear differences in the paint. Areas that were matt are now glossy since the top paint was removed. So my boards nose has spots on it. The effects are less noticeable on the rails and bottom but you can see where i cleaned if you look hard enough.

I think I am going to go back over the nose and try to even the paint out so the whole nose it glossed rather than being spotted.  Anyone want to guess as to how much damage we may be causing to the paint in terms of protection?

That's very odd.. I have been using them for ages.. Are you using them wet.. or dry?.. What brand did you use?.. I paddle every day and wash my boards of almost every day.. and most days clean over them with those erasers.. Some times rubbing very hard and they are amazing at removing all marks and almost seem to remove scratches and chips.. and the shine on my boards are still like new.. Maybe they work better on a gloss surface like the Naish boards.. actually I also use them on my AST and it has a matt paint finish.. I thought the way they work is like a pencil eraser on paper and the rubbing causes the eraser to wear out and not the paper.. in fact I've worn out quite a few of these new magic erasers... I'll keep using them for sure.

DJ

beernuts

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 09:58:02 PM »
I used the normal mr clean magic erasers that you find everywhere and I used the wet like you are suposed to. As I said it left many spots across the nose of the board and the rails in some areas are now washed out. When you use the ones you have do you notice the white part of the eraser becoming yellow? I would have never thought there was such a cheap layer of paint on the board that it could be taken off with a scuff.

Here are after photos.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:59:56 PM by beernuts »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 10:08:32 PM »
Thanks for the pics.. That's amazing.. I think I've mostly done rails and bottom and its never done that.

I wonder if the Mr Clean brand are the same as the Chux brand.

DJ

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 11:41:14 AM »
I just used the Mr. Clean "Original" Magic Eraser on my Naish 14.  There were 2 other strength pads, but both appeared to be for difficult stains.

My Naish has had black roof strap marks across the bottom since I purchased it.  The matte finish combined with new black staps was not a good combination.  Since I'm selling it, I want the board to  look good. I figured it was worth a try.  The eraser did a great job at reducing and removing marks.  I don't plan on using one on a regular basis, its a sporting tool, I don't wash my sneakers either.  However, if you have any nasty marks you want to remove, it's worth a try.  Test it first on a small area.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:45:44 AM by H2Oman »

charliev

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 02:55:24 PM »
For what it's worth, I was at a camp last week with a few people who did that KW race and they said those were the toughest conditions they'd ever raced in.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again