Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 3261 times)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
What would you do?
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »
Ss a little over a week ago i picked up a new board, from the same shaper that my previous board is made by. i loved the old board so much i decided to go with a board from the same shaper. found a board on the rack that was essentially the dimensions i would have ordered in a custom, just had a different tail design, and was a thruster instead of a quad. after taking the board out a few times i do not like the new board at all. compared to my larger board, the new board does not turn at all. so i decided to sell the board, absorb the loss, and put the money toward another new board. the shop owner who also paddles heard i wasn't pleased with the board and called me up and offered to swap it out with something else or have the shaper make me a board. i already have the board for sale and have a potential buyer coming by to look at it this afternoon. was planning on getting an 8'11 blair. its a lot of volume, but compared to other boards i've ridden it feels very loose and was a lot of fun to ride. basically i want a shorter, more responsive, loose board.

so my dilema is do i take the board back and wait most of the summer for a custom that may or may not be what i'm looking for, or sell it and get the blair? what do you guys think?

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:08:54 PM »
You still haven't tried the Pocket Rocket or Stinger.
Keep your options open.
Your Magic board awaits.

www.Sup-position.com
Huntington Beach, California, USA
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Squiby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 12:16:19 PM »
A production board like the Blair is a known quantity and should be pretty easy to sell later on. If you have the cash I think you should get it as a stop gap until your new custom board arrives. Or maybe you have other boards that could tide you over till the custom arrives? Either way it sounds like you have a good idea of what you want in a custom board so it makes sense to go down that road.

Do you think that deep channel in the 9' Craig had anything to do with why it didn't turn so quickly? Seems to be some buzz about concave shapes being good for SUP stability... but maybe not for turning?

board-boy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »
Buy a production board - get the Blair or one of the Starboards.  You can easily sell it later if you decide you don't like it.  Custom boards don't hold their value as well as production boards.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 02:17:40 PM »
the pcoket is too short for me. i want something a little more of an 'all-arounder' that will still perform. 8'6 is too darn short for me.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:52:30 PM »

You've got to put you first. You are the one that will be riding the board...

You know the shaper can shape (right?), and the shop guys are trying to make it work for you (right?). If you believe them, then give them a chance. It depends a little on what the offer actually is..but if you can switch for a new board and not take a loss then why not?

If you have your mind all set on the new board, and have mentally already absorbed the loss, then go for the one you like...

it is easy really. If it is a 50-50 then give the shop a chance... :-)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 02:57:08 PM »
basically they will take the new board back and have the shaper make me a custom for a $100 exchange fee, which i feel is fair. i will also sell my 9'6, since i paddled out in it this morning, but am definitely ready for something shorter and put that money toward a blair.  basically two new boards.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 03:26:50 PM »
, just had a different tail design, and was a thruster instead of a quad. after taking the board out a few times i do not like the new board at all. compared to my larger board, the new board does not turn at all.

The tail design and fin arrangement makes a huge difference in how it surfs.  I prefer a quad to the tri arrangement. 

For the hundred $ I would have a new one made for you and see if you can get a loaner. You may still be unhappy.  Or just sell the board, contact sup position for a demo and take the pr out for a spin before you get more boards you don't like. Have not heard anyone that was unhappy with their pr but it is not going to be for everyone.  I wear rubber and weight close to 200lbs and feel the pr is plenty of float and a fantastic performer.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:44:14 PM »
The next size up is the 9'0" X 30" Stinger from (2009)
Still available. I have one to Demo.
Almost the same board as the Pocket Rocket
but with more concave in the nose.

It has Quad and 2-1 fin boxes.
So you have more options and more float.

www.Sup-position.com
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 12:15:25 PM »
UPDATE:

so i've been going back and forth with the shop owner and shaper about the board and what i thought about what the new board should look like. the shop owner surfs the same break i frequent and has been watching me paddle and told me if i changed my technique the board would handle differently. we talked about it for about 45 minutes yesterday at the shop. both the shaper and shop owner are near or past 60 years old, so there's a lot of experience between these two guys. he even went out with me this morning and gave me a lesson in the water. it immedaitely changed everything for me. i was able to do pivot turns quicker and easier when turning around for a wave, get into waves later using less energy paddling all while using a smaller blade paddle yet still be more stable than previously...oh, and another thing, the board turns like crazy! it was so loose i had to slide the center fin back a little (jerry lopez SUP fins, thruster) and was even busting out little roundhouse turns and cutbacks on chest high waves. he later told me he was afraid to tell me about my technique because he didnt want to offend me. i told him i welcome and encourage criticism because if i dont know what i'm doing wrong and dont have people that tell me and point things out i'll never get better. i

in retrospect i think i was just sliding out the back end more than really turning, and today got a true feel of how tight and quick a thruster can really turn, and it was ridiculous. cant wait to go out again! i also sold the 9'6 because it felt so much heavier after riding the 9'0, but the 9'6 was 1.5lb foam and the 9'0 is 1lb. foam and picked up an 8'11 blair just to mess around on.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 02:55:47 PM »
Sounds like you have found a way.
Awesome.
Keep us posted on your progression.
An Ahah Moment?

www.Sup-position.com