Author Topic: What to buy and why?  (Read 3511 times)

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
What to buy and why?
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:26:25 AM »
I need to order two 12'6 race boards for the lifeguard and jr. lifeguard program I was thinking of a surftech Bark because of multible users. So what's the fastest, Bark, Hobie, Starboard, Ron House or the Lahui Kai will that be a surftech board soon?

Thanks Bob.

Pureadrenalin

Re: What to buy and why?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:13:26 AM »
Just my two cents but the Bark Surftech 12'6 is very pricey for a public program? About 2075.00 plus tax each SUB. I wold look more towards an all around 12'6 paddle board maybe something from Starboard.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »
Surf Monkey... I was at Paddlesurf Warehouse in DP last week and they had an Aviso prototype 12'6" full hollow carbon construction... etc.  I was told that the first 25 (or was it 50) are going to be sold at around 1780 or 1800 (or something like that)... Something to think about as the Aviso CF's are very, very durable... IMHO...

I think I was talking to Paul at PSW ... he said that he had been on it that morning and it was faster than his race board...

Just throwing that out there... don't mean to be pimping.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 01:02:28 PM »
Just wondering Do you REALLY need Race boards these by nature as stated before on this thread are fragil and I'd like to add tippy Not to mention expensive.

Maybe a more all around board might be a better call. Speaking of calls there are MFG's that have lifeguard boards AND have very reasonable DIRECT pricing for municiple purchases

just me 2 cents

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:47:55 AM »
I will check the PSW website on the Aviso, Thanks Strand they gave us a good deal last year on two 10' sup's.

Thanks for the input in this program they have been able to take the money it makes and put it back into it, Money is set aside for tuition for the local kids that can't aford to join and also equipment. They have a fleet of BZ boards, boogies and paddle boards which includes carbon racing boards for the competitions. Lifeguards bring in thier personal equip to use like surfskis and a surf dory They started adding surfing type sup,s three years ago. Yes the racing equipment is fragil, I do the repairs on the equipment and find it does OK they understand it is racing equipment and take care of it, the BZ's are the ones that get the abuse. Yes racing sup's are tippy but the 12'6 stock class are 27-29 wide kids can stand on anything they use the little BZ's to sup on. The $2075 bark is under the budget I have for the boards. Parents and the kids are stoked they get to use killer equipment.

Competition has always been a big part of lifeguarding, I came from a small JG/lifeguard program and nothing worse to show up ready to race and find the equipment you have sucks. I grew up competing in lifeguard style ocean racing surfskis, paddle boards two man surfdory also raced the crazy Aussi style surf boats, my claim to fame was national champ in the two man surfdory I found out fast you couldn't compete against the big boys without a fast light boat. The SUP racing is taking off and a bunch of races in California and want to put the guys on the best equipment and it will be around for a while.

So yes I am looking for 12'6 racing boards that are durable I was hoping to get input from guys with racing boards and mybe find out what boards are fast.

Thanks Bob.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:54:14 AM »
If you want fast 12'6" RACE boards - I would personally suggest the Starboard NEW. 
The first ones are just about to hit the shops.

Might be a bit specific though - the Starboard Free Race or Naish Glide 12 would be a good choice - but a bit more all around - and also more available.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

SUPerman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 05:09:02 PM »
I have a 14' Ron House and my friend has the exact same shape in a 12'6" version.  He just placed 3rd in his division in only his second race.  He loves the shape.  It has a concave deck that has you sitting lower for more stability as well as a displacement hull to power through the water.  I believe the carbon version is around $2000 and the epoxy version is around $1700.  Great price and a great board.  I'm sure the kids will have a blast with whatever you choose.
Kane

"Keep calm and SUP on"

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 05:36:54 PM »
I'd buy a Hobie..Oh wait I just did..
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 06:06:13 PM »
I havnt paddled it but I really like the look of the Jimmy Lewis Slice. Its getting great reports too

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »
Hey

Thanks for the input a couple of the lifeguards that are into the racing are planing on going to a shop to demo some boards.

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 10:58:45 PM »
BARK's finish makes them pretty durable.  But I'm racing them now so I am biased.

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 10:07:54 AM »
Venice

You had the Lahui Kai for sale, is the Bark a faster board how did they compare what made you pick the Bark are you a team rider for them? If you don't mind also have you tried the starboard surfrace board or the Hobie?

Lee

What made you pick the Hobie?

Thanks for the input

Bob.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again