Author Topic: Balance training. What do you use?  (Read 40193 times)

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
Re: Balance training. What do you use?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 02:54:20 PM »
Injury and old(er) age has given me some balance challenges.  In phy. therapy, much of the time was spent doing one leg balancing combined with catching a light medicine ball, etc.  I find SUP mimics much of the same feeling as the work I was doing with the therapist.  I still practice doing one leg stands.

Last week I got a Power Balance Band.  I don't know if I believe 100% in it's "powers", but 3-4 friends swear by it and I figured at worst it could only hurt my wallet.

I see Fitness Anywhere has a SURF STRONGER TRX WORKOUT.  The TRX exercises involve controlled balance and core strength.  I have the Navy Seal workout which can be a bit much for me.  Thinking about downloading the surf workout since I'm kicking my self back into gear and shape.  Here's a small blog about Holly Beck using the TRX.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:57:09 PM by H2Oman »

Marcelo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »
Ninja, practice jumping off of the ball as if you had lost your balance.

I say that because I used to work with another guy at the gym, we would do toss a ball to each other from the top of the Swiss ball, one day i lost my balance and fell back, both feet up in the air slip on the banana peel cartoon kind of fall... thanks to my capoeira training I managed to roll out of the fall and did not hurt myself badly but if I had not been prepared for falls, it could have been a nasty accident.

Now i don't have a partner for that king of training anymore so besides doing "swiss squats" i use a bouncy ball and toss it at the wall. Give it a shot, it's fun'ner that way!  ;D

I'll see if i have a video on my computer and try to post it...

EDIT: could not find any clips so i recorded one real quick, please excuse the background noise, I asked the kids to stay quiet but they were no help.  ::)

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:38:19 PM by Marcelo »

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 05:02:26 PM »
Nice. I just ordered a new set of wooden indian clubs so I will be combining those with my swiss ball balance training.

corgi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 11:39:27 AM »
Thanks Ninja for the indo board, its been a great help for improving my balance and a great training tool in between paddle sessions.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 01:54:35 PM »
Thanks Ninja for the indo board, its been a great help for improving my balance and a great training tool in between paddle sessions.

Glad to hear its working for you. Anything used for balance training is better than no training at all.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010, 10:07:11 AM »
I got some new 1 lb wooden indian clubs and I figure I give them a try. So I did some rotating outside circles first exercise,second two hand front outer circles and last pendulum swings. No problem with balance or swings I am having more of a problem trying to post my video.Lol ;D Any suggestions with posting video would be great. Aloha train hard and have fun

Cbad SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 09:39:04 AM »
IMO the Indo Board most closely simulates the instability that is inhernent while paddling. There is a roller or an inflatable cushion that can be used under the deck so that it is possible for anyone to use it.  None of these other things posted even remotely look like they simulate standing on a SUP board?? Plus Ekolu Kalama, Chuck Patterson, Noah Shimabukuro, Drew Brophy, Suzie Cooney, etc, etc, all use Indo Boards.   

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 11:49:31 AM »
IMO the Indo Board most closely simulates the instability that is inhernent while paddling. There is a roller or an inflatable cushion that can be used under the deck so that it is possible for anyone to use it.  None of these other things posted even remotely look like they simulate standing on a SUP board?? Plus Ekolu Kalama, Chuck Patterson, Noah Shimabukuro, Drew Brophy, Suzie Cooney, etc, etc, all use Indo Boards.   

Like you said its  nothing more than your opinion and its your first post. Sounds like you got no knowledge of what you talking about. Every balancing aid is a training tool to get better at training for balance and  strengthening  the stabilizer muscles that are involved in balancing.  Bra have you even  tried standing or even tried getting onto a swiss ball GO TRY and then see what happens make so you a video of it so we can laugh. ;D ;D ;D

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 02:05:32 PM »
Indo boards are great, but if you do them long enough, honestly, the challenge diminshes..the Ninja experienced that and so have I.  It was a great tool initially to get my balance skills but then the quest is to move on to something more challenging, for the sole purpose of improving balance..whether it mimic SUP or not.  My Balance 360 on a fully inflated ball, on a hard surface is much more challenging than my Indo but that too becomes easier the more I use it.  As these tools help with balance, I see direct improvments in SUP balance, there is no doubt about that! This in combination with time on the water, smaller boards, rougher conditions, mental confidence, all continue to help further ones SUP balance skills.

Ninja, no worry, there will always be critics out there.  Perhaps Cbad SUP works for Indo, haha!  We've seen posts like this recently on other topics.  Most of us know that you are sharing your experiences for the sake of helping others..don't let the opinions of one ruffle your feathers. 

Lets see more balance videos  ;)

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 03:07:19 PM »
Indo boards are great, but if you do them long enough, honestly, the challenge diminshes..the Ninja experienced that and so have I.  It was a great tool initially to get my balance skills but then the quest is to move on to something more challenging, for the sole purpose of improving balance..whether it mimic SUP or not.  My Balance 360 on a fully inflated ball, on a hard surface is much more challenging than my Indo but that too becomes easier the more I use it.  As these tools help with balance, I see direct improvments in SUP balance, there is no doubt about that! This in combination with time on the water, smaller boards, rougher conditions, mental confidence, all continue to help further ones SUP balance skills.

Ninja, no worry, there will always be critics out there.  Perhaps Cbad SUP works for Indo, haha!  We've seen posts like this recently on other topics.  Most of us know that you are sharing your experiences for the sake of helping others..don't let the opinions of one ruffle your feathers. 

Lets see more balance videos  ;)

Takeo that is funny never thought of it but yeah could be just another REP trying to make some sales.LMAO Still working on the videos the last one came out to dark and just wasted the training session caused by bad lighting. Next one will be with the Indian clubs for sure. Waiting for your arrival so we can go paddle.

JustPaddle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »
Not the average indoboarder.  :o Fun looking tricks that will improve balance for sure. Now all I need is a big area to practice haha.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:31:00 PM by JustPaddle »

NRG

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • nikkigregg.com
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2010, 06:14:41 PM »
Here's an idea....find exercises where you use one leg at a time such as split squats, standing single leg cable push, single leg deadlifts.  Not very much weight is needed and they should be added in at the beginning of your workout because they require the most neurological demand.  I also practice paddling on one foot, but be willing to fall in.  ;)  The best part about these ideas...no need to go buy a bunch of new equipment.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »
Here's an idea....find exercises where you use one leg at a time such as split squats, standing single leg cable push, single leg deadlifts.  Not very much weight is needed and they should be added in at the beginning of your workout because they require the most neurological demand.  I also practice paddling on one foot, but be willing to fall in.  ;)  The best part about these ideas...no need to go buy a bunch of new equipment.

out of all you mentioned I experienced first hand. The most challenging I have found for my intensity level is the pistol squat and that is one a strong 2 percent can do. Paddling on one leg is another one I haven't tried or closing my eyes but I will one of these days. Right now one of my goals is trying to master a partial one leg half squat on the Swiss ball. I did it once on the left and right side but the video came out to dark.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2010, 06:50:12 PM »

Nikki, thanks for the tips.  Paddle on one foot...holy monkies, never thought about doing that!!  I do find myself standing on one leg though while standing in line at the bank and stuff, I feel like a flamingo.  BTW, you gals look great in the latest Standup mag!

Ninja, aren't Ninjas suppose to be most comfortable in the dark?  No wonder your video didn't turn out well.  Perhaps film in night vision next time  :P.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »
Haha good one but I'm the daytime ninja.lmao I scade of the dark.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin