Author Topic: Newbie...Need gear advice please!  (Read 4265 times)

surfingmedicman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Newbie...Need gear advice please!
« on: March 30, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »
So I'm thinking of giving Stand-up paddle a try. What's the best way to go about this before I fork over some cash. I live in Ventura County and have been surfing, bodyboarding, skating, and snowboarding most of my life. I'm 6'0 at about 190lbs. I'm looking for a do everything type of board with a lot of stability. I want something that is a good entry level board but also something that I can progress on. Any suggestions about boards, shops, even possible demos would be great. I can drive down to Malibu or up to Santa Barbara for shop locations. One more thing. Over the years my body has taken a beating. I have on and off low back problems. Does this activity wreck havoc on the low back. It's something for me to consider before I make the investment in the gear. Thanks guys! 8)

Woody

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie...Need gear advice please!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 09:43:59 AM »
I’d suggest heading up to Blue Line Paddle Surf in SB. Great guys and I believe they will have a number of options for you to get wet before you buy. They carry a good selection and won’t push you into anything beyond your wallet or near-term abilities as you progress. I will warn you though, this sport is contagious and coupled with how quickly the shapes are evolving, you may see yourself eyeballing your 2nd board within the year. A whole new stoke!

I can’t speak to the lower back issues as I suspect that gives you grief in even everyday activities.  I will vouch for the absolute phenomenal core workout you achieve as a benefit of simply partaking in the sport. Whether you choose to surf, flat water paddle, go for a killer workout or just cruise and enjoy the water and vibe, you can’t go wrong.

Cheers!

newbie2SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 11:19:09 PM »
I have horrible back problems and in the past month of paddling I've seen only good results.  I sleep better and don't seem to have as much "idle standing" pain. 

I bought a JimmyStyks SUB and love it, but buy what you want.  It's great exercise and my arms and lats hurt, but not my back.  I can feel the workout in my legs and upper body.  I do recommend stretching before and after.  It works muscles that I didn't know I had.

good luck,

Joe

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 12:07:51 AM »
I would get the widest, longest used board I could find.
You will beat the hell out of it with your paddle and maybe even smash it up real good like when I nearly put my knee thru mine, or maybe smash it into some rocks.
You will need to start out on flat water get your stroke down, move to the bay, work on your balance then finally think about waves.
Struggling with your balance on a board too narrow will be very frustrating.
You can always sell a large, used beginner type board quickly, there are fewer of them for sale, most of the used boards for sale are typically, 10' X 28" and often in perfect condition as the owner was never able to get the hang of it.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
Hi surfingmedicman...
You just missed our SUP demo last weekend in Santa Barbara...we had over 25 demo boards on the beach...including the new Coreban SUP's...they were all out on the water at one point...we had folks from all over Ventura County...Simi Valley...Camarillo...Thousand Oaks...etc...also, Orange County...Illinois...and, even Germany...

http://surfingsports.com/2010/03/santa-barbara-sup-demo-march.asp

http://surfingsports.com/sb_march_sup_demo/index.html

Our next free demo day is scheduled for the 1st Sunday in May...they are really popular...we taught over 700 people last year for free at our demos...

Watch our blog for an announcement...

http://surfingsports.com/blog.asp

April is on our doorstep and we have something planned every weekend including a downwind race on Saturday, April 24...

If you can't wait another month, we can arrange a private demo or lesson...we have over 150 SUP's in stock, with a good number of them designed for bigger guys...they run the whole spectrum from surfing to distance paddling...to racing...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:54:08 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 05:41:34 PM »
Surfingmedicman

In the Ventura area Surfingsports is your bet for boards. I would be more than happy to help you out if you want I can PM you a cell #. I try and paddle every day, when starting out the bigger the board the better and learn to paddle first. Start out in the harbor on flat water non windy day I would stay away from the surf until you have a paddling back ground.

If anything I can give some rules of the road advise about were to paddle around here and save you the $50-100 bucks on a lesson.

Just for info in 2008 I had lower back surgery I got hurt at work and could hardly walk most pain in my life. I grew up surfing and thought it was all over, one of my best buddies that had his back fused the year before me got into stand up paddling to get back on the water it worked for him and it worked for me. Started out with easy harbor stuff to get strong. This year I have surfed the biggest and the best waves of my life and on a stand up, my friends in the line up always ask how is the back and when are you going to go back to surfing they want me off the thing.

Good luck

Bob.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
I totally agree get a nice wide board and the ones that we've been REAL happy with (and the MFG is lurking here on the forum I bet... john chime in any time)

South County www.southcountysurf.com The Turtle is just GREAT easy to ride, great construction
And most importantly John is a great guy who stands behind his products 100% (not that we've seen/herad of any failures)

If you have some specific questions feel free to contact me directly karabaszJP@aol.com

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

SoCo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:30:40 AM »
hahaha....yeah, here I am Jim!
Wow, thanks for that comment...I know that we share the same stoke about this sport.

Hey surfingmedicman, if you can make it down to around Dana Point, you can demo any of the South County boards.
You won't go wrong with the Turtle. It is a cool, feel good board, rides like it's on a cushion of air....smooth.

John
www.southcountysurf.com

PDXSTANDUPGUY

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 05:12:12 PM »
Surfingmedicman I was in your exact dilema 10 months ago.... I am a former moto-x dude. 8 years ago I had a bad get off and shoved my hip through my pelvis so far it smashed my CNS. So I know the issue of low back trouble all too well. SUPing has been the best thing I've ever done!! Stand-up Paddle Fully Committed you'll be glad you did!

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 05:22:48 PM »
New dude,

Don't get too big of a board... unless you have tons of money to throw down as you progress.  I started out on the naish 10'6" x 28.5 (ish)... I am about your height and weight 6'2"... 215 when I started... I started out in the harbor and didn't fall, but the ocean and wave riding took a few sessions to understand... BUT I was good to go on that board for awhile before I got bored with it and my son took it from me...

Two choices:  steeper learning curve and maybe actually cry your first day trying to be in the surf... but enjoy the board longer before you have progressed out of it...

OR

More gradual learning curve, but you will progress out of your first board like lightning.

Your money, your time, your tears.  Good luck my brother... you will not regret it.

If you are tight on dollars, Craigslist rocks... (I am a bit of a Craigslist whore) ... if you see a board and aren't sure about whether or not it will work for you, pm me or post your question on this thread to get a million responses.

Thanks,

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin