Author Topic: Triathlon wetsuits  (Read 7513 times)

Waterwitch

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Triathlon wetsuits
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here has used triathlon wetsuits for paddling. Thay are described as being
cut for better arm movement for swimming.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
Re: Triathlon wetsuits
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 08:05:05 PM »
I use a tri wetsuit when I paddle distance when it's below 40 degrees.  It is 3 mil in the legs, 2 in the chest and 1 mil in the arms.  Works VERY well... great mobility.

Sometimes I'll even surf in it & I'll wear a 2mil shorty under it in the 45 degrees water.  Plenty warm.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

csx355

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:13:30 AM »
Hi WW - having used Triathlon wetsuits for years (for all distance Tri's) and with the swim being my best discipline it always bugged me that my surf wetsuits held me back should I ever break a leash and go after my board freestyle as the suit would restrict my stroke massively. This was pre SUP days.

TRI wetsuits are usually smooth skin and do not have any abrasion resistance, just sitting on a waxed board would be enough to induce major damge to a hi performance tri suit kneeling on a SUP deck would destroy one in a single session.

Tri suits also tend to be 4/5mm legs and bodies for bouyancy, too hot for SUP work, however it was the lack of restriction in the shoulders and arms that always called me.

With standup the abrasion issue is less however the 5mm bodies make them boiler suits and as most of us know you stay warmer on a SUP than on a prone board. So I got a local wetsuit manufacturer http://www.snuggwetsuits.co.uk/index.asp to combine the qualities from both suits that I need. I now have a fleece lined, super flexi, 3mm winter suit with smoothskin Tri shoulders and arms that is the easiest suit to get in and out of even on the coldest of (our) morning sessions. This suit that I called 'The SUSpec' is so good that I had a 2mm summer version made with less fleece. Comfort is off the dial as they are both made to measure. Off the shelf suits are fine but I am willing to bet that fewer of us are  . . . lets say standard surfer shapes if the posts regarding weight loss are any guide to go by.

Pictures here http://csx355.blogspot.com/2009/10/snugg-wetsuits-sup-global-and-asparagus.html
The coldest our water gets is about 46'  the warmest about 64'(but only rarely) usually we surf in 57'. Hope this helps.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:59:15 AM »
Been using a Promotion suit for several years... knees are a little chewed-up, but still keeping me warm...

http://www.wetsuit.com/store/detail.cfm?product_id=322

Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 07:39:14 PM »
I have always had a major problem with mobility and flex with wetsuits while paddling, secondary problem was getting too hot.  Almost exclusively paddle flatwater through the winter here in MD, so I just need something that will keep me from, you know, DYING if I fall in the water.  Found the brand Camaro wetsuits make something called a "Swimskin" super flexible, in a 3mm.  Enough protection if I take a fall, but not too contstricting or overheating.  Got one for about $100  from www.sierratradingpost.com.  Also, Hyperflex has a pullover top with neoprene panels on chest and back, while sleeves and shoulders are polypro with fuzzy lining.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 02:43:46 AM »
  Also, Hyperflex has a pullover top with neoprene panels on chest and back, while sleeves and shoulders are polypro with fuzzy lining.

Bark has one of these as well.  I own one and love it.  Plus, it says Bark on it.  Got to love that, too!

aqualicious

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Aqualicious
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 08:21:13 AM »
Went thru the whole exercise last year. Tried different marathon suits for the arm mobility and returned them because of lack of durability. What worked for me for distance paddling in Southern California Fall/Winter (water 50s/air 50s-60s) is NRS 1mm HyrdoSkin LongJohn with a fleece short sleeve rash guard. If the wind comes up or I rest for too long, I'll put on a long sleeved NRS Hydroskin top. For winter Sup surfing I use a 2/3mm ONeill PsychoFreak, a full suit which is unbelievably flexible and warm.  I'm ok with the extra warmth since it seems to extend my sessions. Just take a swim once in a while.
Life is good

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]