Author Topic: Laird 11 footer  (Read 2615 times)

snappy

• Rincon Status
  • what I ride
    • View Profile
Laird 11 footer
« on: December 22, 2007, 05:50:30 PM »
To start the story I have a jimmy lewis 10fter which I love to ride but have been looking for something to suplement it when the surfs a bit full or when I want the longboard glide.The problem was that I didnt want a board that was to stable which would affect my balance when I got back on the Jimmy.
I have ridden my new Laird 11footer the last 2 days in 4ft to 2ft surf and it seems to fit the bill perfectly.The laird has a great longboard feel and just glides onto waves early and has a narrow enough tail for a great bottom turn.Its a good noserider as well.The Ron House design shows its pedigree with the way it sits high in the pocket of a wave at will and being 27" wide it surfs like a regular surf board not like a tank.At this width its probably not a good first board though.Its not as fast as the 10'jimmy but thats not what its for,I'll ride the jimmy in steeper and faster waves.Custom boards have no resale here in Australia at the moment and I dont think the shapers have had the volume here to evolve there shapes so a production board was my only option.Im 5'9" and a 176lbs if that helps anyone.I think with this board they have got it very right.
Cheers from Australia.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Laird 11 footer
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 07:49:48 PM »
G'day Snappy...Thanks for your review..Where abouts down under are you?

I live in Melbourne and have not seen any Laird boards down this way..The new Laird 11' sounds nice.

What sort of price are they and who sells them...and is yours the white with blue striped one..or the soft top model?

Cheers..and Merry Christmas.

DJ

snappy

• Rincon Status
  • what I ride
    • View Profile
Re: Laird 11 footer
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 10:41:19 PM »
Hi DavidJohn I live on the west of Lake Macquarie at Toronto and surf south of Newcastle to the central coast.The Laird had a sticker price of $1895 but I did a deal and traded my Jimmy Lewis 11footer.The board is the blue and white striped model.Unlike my other boards I have not put a pad on this board or installed handles.Standing on the domed deck on wax  without a pad is different.Instead of handles I stuck on 2 stick on leg rope plugs 3 feet apart along the centre line with string loops so I can slide my paddle through them and carry the board holding the paddle.
I paddle on the lake after work for exersize and surf on the weekends with the paddleboard.I also surf before work on a longboard as I am the Snap On tool franchise in Newcastle and have a specially built truck with a built inboard carrier.
There are another couple of stand up paddlers in this area but I have only surfed with one other a couple of times, most of the time its just me and the longboarders who because I was one, I know them all.I only had a problem with one surfer and after I took him up on his threat he keeps his comments out of my earshot (chicken shit)and has become a joke amongst his so called mates.I am always mindfull of how many waves I catch and have only come into contact with one surfer and it was a genuine accident on both sides.I like surfing but am now much happier on the paddle board.
The Jimmy Lewis 11 footer was a great board to learn on but I now have no need for it.
Cheers

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
foiled again
April 25, 2024, 07:28:05 PM