Author Topic: 2010 Stand Up World Tour begins - Sunset Beach Pro -5th-14th Feb  (Read 35280 times)

log man

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2010 Stand Up World Tour begins - Sunset Beach Pro -5th-14th Feb
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Weasel ,I just look at the size of those waves and turn into an instant softcock. I'd be on the beach waxing the board until the swell dropped then I'd complain about the swell not being big enough, then go home :-[ :-[

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »
What kind of board was that at 1:14? Looked like it was either pre-busted or he was taking off fin first.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Deb

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2010, 07:34:23 PM »
I think this was from the first day, when they temporarily called it off due to the (obviously) dangerous conditions.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »
Strand Leper-

I agree.  Hats off to those guys charging big Sunset but I think sup board shapers still have a ways to go in shaping boards for big hollow reef waves and choppy conditions like the north shore.  Those were some pretty bad wipeouts.  I don't think it was the riders fault...I think its the shape of the sup boards.  Less width, more rockers, less nose etc.  What do I know... I don't shape boards.

In Chuck Patterson's log he was upset about the officials calling the contest as he wanted to charge the biggest waves at Sunset that day.  From what I understand he has trained very hard and wanted to test his limits as a true professional.  Seems like the boards poor shapes were the reason the contest was called.

I hope this doesn't sound like a buzzkill but I doubt the contest would have been called off if it was the Sunset Smironoff whatever laydown surfing contest.

These sup board shapes have a ways to go at places like Sunset and Puerto Escondeto.  Of course this is only my opinion.  Big respect goes out to all the riders and the contest staff for putting on a fine event.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2010, 09:45:45 PM »
Weasel ,I just look at the size of those waves and turn into an instant softcock. I'd be on the beach waxing the board until the swell dropped then I'd complain about the swell not being big enough, then go home :-[ :-[
You never cease to kill me, LOL!!!!!  :D
I'll bet if we ever met, we probably get along just fine.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Dub_G

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2010, 11:12:23 PM »
I was fortunate to be there during the contest. It looks like footage from the first day (sat) and maybe some from the last day (fri). It doesn't look like Big Wednesday which was called off after 4 heats in maxing wash thru conditions, and they would have definitely postponed a regular surf contest that Wednesday also; when Sunset gets too big it washes thru from over a quarter mile outside and the lineup becomes unrecognizable. It was postponed Wed due to conditions, not because the shapes of the boards were not good enough.

lopezwill ~ Don't forget this is a Wipeout Video.

The most progressive SUP boards work excellent in large hollow surf.
PS - Great video, thanks for sharing it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:56:44 AM by Admin »

val

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2010, 11:35:43 PM »
I was fortunate to be there during the contest. It looks like footage from the first day (sat) and maybe some from the last day (fri). It doesn't look like Big Wednesday which was called off after 4 heats in maxing wash thru conditions, and they would have definitely postponed a regular surf contest that Wednesday also; when Sunset gets too big it washes thru from over a quarter mile outside and the lineup becomes unrecognizable. It was postponed Wed due to conditions, not because the shapes of the boards were not good enough.

lopezwill ~ Don't forget this is a Wipeout Video.

The most progressive SUP boards work excellent in large hollow surf.  Blane Chambers Paddle Surf Hawaii SUP boards surf amazing in big Hawaiian waves and Robby Naish is producing some excellent big wave SUPs, just to name a few.

PS - Great video, thanks for sharing it.

Yeah, I was there too and I'd agree...  Sunset washing through from the outer reefs is not good for  surfing, no other comp would have started that day...

With a few exceptions this vid is more about screw ups than hi performance surfing, the guys making it through heats on the last day were doing nice power carves in the pocket that are quite a bit more state of the art than what's seen here...  great vid though, fun to watch. post more if you got 'em.

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2010, 05:11:59 AM »
Tim....Im understanin where your comin from about the boards...But i would think them boyees in the Islands would know...And they DO !!
Im just seein tons of thickness and volume.....
Puttin my new 5/4 wet suit on goin in here...we just
 had a nor easter come thru...clean head high but not great...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:02:24 AM by Admin »

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2010, 05:19:09 AM »
OK,  I'll post a video on the grom's first.   They were ripping.  The older guys were killing it too.  They were on boards that were made for those conditions thanks to Blane Chambers and others that know how to shape boards for large surf.  Short wide and flat doesn't cut it in maxing Sunset.  I'm going through 6,000 pictures and I'll end up with a few hundred that are insane.  The video clips will show up soon.  
Aloha,
Tom English

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2010, 08:00:45 AM »
Thanks Tom.  I get it SUPer Dave, these guys know what to ride... it just seemed like the rocker dictated some difficult angles on the wipeout video.  I understand that guys were doing RIDICULOUS stuff and can't wait for the video.

Thanks again,

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2010, 08:00:58 AM »
Strand Leper-

I agree.  Hats off to those guys charging big Sunset but I think sup board shapers still have a ways to go in shaping boards for big hollow reef waves and choppy conditions like the north shore.  Those were some pretty bad wipeouts. 

Watching both of the event videos so far and a lot of the other big day footage from this year I had the same impression.  The guys obviously understand this wave and have incredible ocean skills, but were really fighting to settle their gear down.  The Teahupoo footage showed that the boards will perform better down the line on smooth waves, but they looked wrong for this.  

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2010, 09:35:27 AM »
OK,  I'll post a video on the grom's first.   They were ripping.  The older guys were killing it too.  They were on boards that were made for those conditions thanks to Blane Chambers and others that know how to shape boards for large surf.  Short wide and flat doesn't cut it in maxing Sunset.  I'm going through 6,000 pictures and I'll end up with a few hundred that are insane.  The video clips will show up soon.  

Easy for you to say... some of us had out long, narrow and rockered boards stuck in customs for the event  :-[

ha ha ha

Corran

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2010, 10:04:39 AM »

[/quote]

Easy for you to say... some of us had out long, narrow and rockered boards stuck in customs for the event  :-[

ha ha ha

Corran
[/quote]

I agree with the Customs thing... I've had them hold boards for a month before releasing them. I'm a believer in national security but a month is just plain ridiculous...   Later,     JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2010, 10:15:52 AM »

ha ha ha

Corran
Corran,

For next year, you can just send your quiver to me... way in advance... and then take them to Hawaii from California ... I promise, I won't ride them :)

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Water-kook

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2010, 10:32:06 AM »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]