Author Topic: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch  (Read 4032 times)

Bravo

• Rincon Status
  • bravellisphotography.com
    • View Profile
    • Brav Ellis Photography
    • Email
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
Charles Moore: Sailing the Great Pacific Garbage.  This is a sad video of what our ocean is like now.  "Only humans make what Nature cannot digest".

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 12:16:55 PM »
  Sad, sad, sad.  What else can you say? I hate to think what my grand kids are going to be coping with in the future...   Sad, sad, sad  :( .......    Later,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 02:29:47 PM »
Wow.... that is truly disturbing...

Thanks for posting.

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 06:20:23 PM »
Super vid- People need to change their ways.

A while back I spent days picking up trash and a broken up dock that had floated to shore at a popular surf spot in Charleston SC..........SAD THING ABOUT IT...only 1 person offered to help(lsenior citizen)..........not one surfer helped.......they just sat back and bit**ed about NO WAVES on the local blogs...some even getting out of the flat ocean to just walk by the trash........sad when people who SAY THEY CARE...don't show it. If there is no surf why not make your ocean and beaches cleaner.

Thanks again for the vid...maybe it might wake some people up.
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 09:36:32 PM »
I hate folks that litter. Just can't understand the mindset that makes tossing your trash out your window OK. I've almost gotten into fights when I picked something up that an asshole tossed out his window and threw it back in his car....and that was before I surfed. Every beach cleanup I've helped with involves 1000's of cigarette butts. Amazes me that people don't understand that they are trash. People look at me funny when i pick up trash as I leave the beach....they think I'm the freak. They've just enjoyed a nice day at the beach and walk away leaving trash behind.

Worst example of this was the 1st nice warm beachday a couple of years ago. When I got to the beach early morn there wasn't a bit of trash anywhere. Courtesy of a beach cleanup the week before.  Tide was going out, had a nice long session during which the beach had filled up with people (closest beach to the city). Getting ready to leave, early afternoon, tide had come in, pushing the crowd in front of it. I couldn't believe the amount of trash there was in the water and at the edge. 100's of plastic bottle, fast food wrappers, coffee cups, dirty diapers....disgusting. I felt like screaming at the slobs that were just ignoring it all.

Charles Moore's videos were some of the inspiration for our charity selection for the 1st CCBC, not Algalita but the Ocean Conservancy. Only problem is it gets frustrating.....for every one of us that cares there are 1000's of slobs that don't. Plenty of clueless surfer slobs...a vid of some surfers on youtube at the same beach as above. Stupid punk chugs an energy drink as they are heading to the water...crushes the can on his forehead and drops it on the beach...what a tool.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:45:29 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »
 I'm with ya on this... Just don't understand the litter thing either! Deb and I go to the Dom Rep on a regular basis. The place is so beautiful and the people so friendly. But what really blows is that they litter their own paradise! We just can't understand it!...  While there, if we see someone throw something down, we will go and pick it up and trash it. We try to educate too. Have to be careful there as we are visitors but you would think they would have respect for what they do have down there.....                 JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

watermelonman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:42:18 AM »
In the water, plastic bags are the worst.  Marine life eat them thinking they are jellyfish.  Turtles especially. On land, the worst is cigarette butts.  People will smoke with their window open dangling the cigarette out the window so as to try and not stink up their car, then toss the still lit butt out.  Like it's too damaging for their car, but not for the environment.  Probably don't want their spouse to know they've been smoking in the car.  I honk my horn when I see this, and most of the time just get the finger.  As long as were on pollution, the people who refuse to pick up their dog crap really get my hackles up.  You know the ones, that pretend to pick it up, but don't really.  The development where I live has  blue plastic bag dispensers every hundred yards or so, and receptacles especially for their disposition.  But still, the early morning residents will ignore picking it up, thinking that the cover of darkness will hide their transgression. I honk my horn for this one, too.  One morning I came out to go to work and the lady a few doors down was "curbing" her cocker spaniel right on my lawn.  I asked her if she intended to pick it up and she just lamely laughed and scurried off in her robe with Fido looking very relieved.  So I got my shovel, scooped it up, and put it on her front porch.  Haven't had a problem since.  Wish we could do the same for beach and water polluters, but would probably risk getting a bullet.

JustPaddle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 09:09:19 PM »

JustPaddle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 09:12:07 PM »

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 08:40:51 PM »
Take only pictures... leave only footprints...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf