Author Topic: SUP attempt at Jaws doesnt get too far  (Read 14637 times)

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP attempt at Jaws doesnt get too far
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 10:14:28 AM »
Board was fine - small ding in the nose... he made it out eventually and hung out with some local paddle on surfers... they got trashed later... next day he went out at Hokipa on the same board (unrepaired).

The guy's really good... its just that he tried to go out where nobody does, but because he didn't want to use his ski to come around. A lesson learned I'd say.

Here is another pic of him from Hokipa this spring.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:17:01 AM by corran »

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 11:01:20 AM »
Looks like he needs to go to a secret spot in oregon to learn the rock dance. Can't image the shape of your foot after one of the boulders slams it.

What was worse for him getting worked by
   the beach break?
   the main break?

Sounds like both places had the better of him on that day.  There is always tomorrow!

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 11:41:10 AM »
Corran,

You send this guy one of your rotomolded SUPs.  Looks like he could use it.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 04:31:34 PM »
you tube sucks i feel bad for the guy. its like slipping and falling on your front steps except whole world now can see it.

scotty nagz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »
i thought  there was no SUPing at hookipa............?

mikelefty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »
1. the videography is horrendous, shaky, in and out focus and poor use of zoom.
2. music to said video clip was stupid and annoying.

As for the SUPer, I won't pass judgement on what he was doing. The crappy clip does nothing for me to opine about him being in over his head or being a kook. I have on several occasions taken the chance on launching from sketchy areas, and conditons as seen in said crappy clip. I have gotten worked, and I have had success, never gave a crap who was watching, let them enjoy the show. As far as the leash being wrapped around the fins, that was a smart move, one I agree with in that predicament, he would have real serious issues being connected to the leg rope getting raked over those rocks.  I  suspect he has more skills SUPing than the videographer has obtaining a "story telling" clip

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 08:10:28 PM »
seems a bit kooky that he would have leash around the fins.  that would create  a lot of drag and alter the tracking.  may have worked out better if he kept the leash on his leg unattached to the board.  but i'm with Blane, doesnt look like he should have been there at all.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 08:36:57 PM »
I remember trying to launch off El Capitan Point (I think that is what it's called, North of Santa Barbara... right below the fancy campground on the bluff)... I didn't want to walk all of the way around the point to the South... and it was REALLY windy to the north of the point... the tide was difficult, the boulders were all over... (I think it was in July or August of this year)... the waves were tiny... and I looked like an idiot.  It wasn't Jaws, but thank goodness no one You Tubed it!  I eventually made it out without trashing my board... but certainly would have been labelled many uncomplimentary things on this site or one of the electronic juvenile halls (Surfer, Surfing, Post Surf [RIP])... I bet each of us on this site has had a few embarrassing, in over our head moments.  I am just glad that none of mine have shown up on You Tube yet!

Granted, death or dismemberment has rarely been a probable outcome in my SUP misadventures... but still...

I am not saying the SUP'er in question should (or should not be out there) ... I also get that we have to police our own ... but let he who is without kookage cast the first stone.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

val

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 12:58:13 AM »
Actually, he's a really good SUPer and Tow surfer... he told me the story and it was funny the way he told it... ruined a board but he said he just didn't want to drive around so tried to put in on teh rocks and said "bad decision".... live and learn... ha ha.

Board Ruined, but he said ultimately it was an experience worth living and learning from. He eventually made it out and along with 3 paddle in prone surfers, proceeded to get wiped out by a roage set and all 4 of them ended up boardless lol...

FYI - thats a Rhino Chaser - said that after all that it was pretty much OK... some small dings but fine to still ride the next day.

Corran

He may be "a really good SUPer and Tow surfer..." but he's definitely not a paddle surfer, 1. his stroke is weak, 2. his leash is wrapped around the fins, stopping him from going anywhere, 3. he doesn't time the sets with the lull before entering the water... all of which show minimal if any experience actually paddling out in waves of consequence...  not trying to knock the guy, we all gotta learn and I've had more than my share of getting off the rocks paddleout mishaps... but experience shows (or doesn't).

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 04:04:39 AM »
Thats a really funny comment.

This is based on a video that shows him trying to put in at a very hard spot, he WAS timing it with the sets (those were in fact the best windows of opportunity), he did NOT want the leash on his leg for good reason, but wanted a leash for once he was out there, and did not want it trailing in the water...

The video shows these first minutes of chaos - who has not had this putting in at a hard spot? Then the video conveniently ends before he does get out, and paddles into the line up. The only thing that can be assessed of the SUPer here is that it's one hell of a risky spot to be putting in, and the videographer had an agenda (whatever it is) and shows just the problems encountered at the beginning and not the whole thing.

I'd put my money on this guy (having SUPed with him) being a better SUP paddler and surfer (he's also an ex pro kayaker - the guy can paddle) than the majority (but not all) of the people on here.

But hey, how could you tell that from a 2 min video showing the initial carnage? ;)

I have to say, this whole thread is amusing to say the least. I bet there isn't a SUPer here that has not had a similar carnage fest of some sort at some place and was just lucky some guy wasn't there with a video camera to edit it down into a convenient apparent carnage fest.

Amusing, I must say  ;D

Corran

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 04:05:40 AM »
Corran,

You send this guy one of your rotomolded SUPs.  Looks like he could use it.

Board was fine - just a small ding in the nose - no more. I make 'em strong lol...

Corran

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 04:16:08 AM »
My personal carnage story lol

Corran
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 04:27:21 AM by corran »

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 06:17:54 AM »
I had the unfortunate experience of paddling out at Hookipa a few years back with a un-named local and both of us got worked almost back to Mama's. Lots of wind, current and whitewater that day. Never did make it out and caught hell by my "local" friend for convincing him to do it. Very humbling and embarrassing. It happens but much better judgement is used today.

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 07:41:36 AM »
4 minites of poor videography I learned a couple of things about the paddler:

He prob. just wanted to see if he could, and learned in about 3 min. he wouldn't

If I  am  ( or any other surfer/SUPer) ever in need of help in  the water (wacked on the head and unconscious) I hope there is a guy like this around , his basic desire here tells me he'd be the one that would come rescue my sorry ass.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 09:19:45 AM »
I bet there isn't a SUPer here that has not had a similar carnage fest of some sort at some place.

Corran

That's what makes sup so great.  We get to be kids all over again and the humility that comes with it just builds better character. 

This guy got a lot of the benefits on this day.  From his experience I bet next time he has a better plan.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin