Author Topic: Question about S.I.C. boards...trimming for California conditions..please advise  (Read 7765 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Post some good clear photos of the steering lever, batten, and pivot point. Lets see if some of the Zoner engineers can think of some simple mods for you. I'll upload a sketch if I can think of something.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Find the sweet spot, then call S.I.C. for a longer cable.  They make them custom for each board.  The last I heard, Mark was hesitant to use the spectra cord because it's diffficult to knot.  That may have changed.  He also may have a new better system for the cables.  Anchoring the center screw is not that big a deal.  If you find the sweet spot, call or write S.I.C. and they will advise you on the details of moving the pedal.

Mark has also developed an adjustable pedal that works. 

Personally, I don't think you are going to want to move your pedal a full 12 inches. 
Support your local shaper

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Good plan (though that would be bluetooth), but I'm thinking more of buttons on the paddle handle.  It's a geeky notion, but I think it could be very good.

Bill, the Iphone (and the Nintendo Wii) can detect how they are being tilted from side to side. Programming them to control a rudder based on how much they tilt would allow allow you to steer the board by weighting the rails. This would be a very natural and intuitive way to steer a board.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Bill, the Iphone (and the Nintendo Wii) can detect how they are being tilted from side to side. Programming them to control a rudder based on how much they tilt would allow allow you to steer the board by weighting the rails. This would be a very natural and intuitive way to steer a board.

Hmmm, I thought you were kidding at first. I have fiddled some with iPhone applications, and I do carry my iPhone on most distance paddles. The problem I see is that it would be steering even when you don't want it to, for instance when I'm wobbling around trying to regain my balance I probably don't want the board steering wildly. All the same, it's an interesting notion. The accelerometers and level detection in mobile phones have been used to steer a real McLaren F1 car, but from a stable platform.

Here's an old Ke Nalu post about what you're talking about. Maybe I could get Dave Kalama to steer me into the swells like Lewis Hamilton does here.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
ShawnMichael,  Keep in mind, I don't have a steering downwind board but I do like to play around with my equipment.   Could you attach some kind of rod going forward and rotate the steering mechanism in front of the current postion.  Maybe a temporary attachment so you don't mess up the board and you can play around with it.

jb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
PonoBill, when you "spend a little time" making sure rudder is straight, is there a method to your madness? Iphone app, stand on one foot kind of thing, or just sight and gut feeling? I know I'm splitting hairs, but it may as well be perfect.

rkuntz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Check out <http://www.boardlady.com> and follow the referal to <www.stickyfingersrepair.com> for board modifications :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
PonoBill, when you "spend a little time" making sure rudder is straight, is there a method to your madness? Iphone app, stand on one foot kind of thing, or just sight and gut feeling? I know I'm splitting hairs, but it may as well be perfect.

The F18's have a wheel the cable can be slid on for adjusting the rudder. I snapped a chalkline from nose to tail to get a reference line and then made it waterproof with a sharpie in front and in back of the rudder so I have a guage to adjust to. I have tweaked in a little counter rudder for races with side-on winds. It helps, but you don't want to go too far.

On the Penetrator I switched to spectra cord which I can adjust by running the tag end of the line through the bellcrank and looping it back over the line to be shortened. Spectra has a fair amount of creep, so adjustments are common. I'm switching to Technora maybe, or a different steering system entirely.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
I really appreciate the help, thanks.  For the moment I have shortened the arm on the pedal several inches and it still works great.  I just want the board to sit sort of flat in the water....right now I am still not getting the front of the board in the water which cant be good.

jb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Pono, you made my downwinding a lot easier with the chalk line/sharpie concept! My F-16 thanks you for making it go straight and I thank you for all your help! Merry Christmas to all. JB

jb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Shawn, how was cutting the carbon? Does it splinter or crumble?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Glad to help, Oh, here's the Vodaphone clip I forgot to add to a previous post.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:56:00 AM by Admin »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
The problem I see is that it would be steering even when you don't want it to, for instance when I'm wobbling around trying to regain my balance I probably don't want the board steering wildly.

Bill,
Those are just programming and tuning issues that can be worked out. For instance, you could not steer unless the rail is tipped for a certain amount of time, say 2 or 3 seconds.  And remember, if you make a mistake, you just get wet. Not like crashing a formula one into a brick wall.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Hmmm, okay, you've talked me into it, I'll give it a go. In the meantime, here's version two of the Strome/Pono open source steering system, proposed by Randy, executed (poorly) by me. Too much friction in it, but I'll tweek. If I can get Mark Raaphorst enthusiastic about it he can make an elegant carbon fiber version.

Goes right

Goes left

I designed a spring system with a tilt plate to adjust the centering, but it's a little fussy to fit, so the bungies will do for initial tests. If the whole thing is a wash then I won't waste more time on it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:03:17 PM by PonoBill »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
April 26, 2024, 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut