Author Topic: cold water gloves??  (Read 9168 times)

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
cold water gloves??
« on: December 21, 2007, 04:01:54 PM »
The lucky bastards who live in Hawaii need not read any further... but here goes.  What do you guys recommend for cold water paddling gloves? 
I am currently using a scuba glove, that has horrible dexterity and paddle control, plus my fingers got cold. They were fine for lay-down surfing, but suck for SUP.  I paddled flat water today, 34 degrees air temp, 48 degree water, and yes, it was snowing.  What do you NorCal or New England guys like?  Thanks!
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: cold water gloves??
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 04:12:58 PM »
I'm just using 3mm surf gloves but I'm a furnace so not sure it helps. My hands were a little cool last time (30 air 46 water) but not cold. You could get some of those handwarmer packets and put them in the gloves
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 04:13:26 PM »
you guys are hardcore :o

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 06:27:50 PM »
The lucky bastards who live in Hawaii need not read any further... but here goes.  What do you guys recommend for cold water paddling gloves? 
I am currently using a scuba glove, that has horrible dexterity and paddle control, plus my fingers got cold. They were fine for lay-down surfing, but suck for SUP.  I paddled flat water today, 34 degrees air temp, 48 degree water, and yes, it was snowing.  What do you NorCal or New England guys like?  Thanks!

Glacier Glove has been the gold standard for years. They are used by Windsurfers and kitesurfers because the fingers are pre-curved to reduce fatigue when gripping handles. Just be sure you get the gloves without slits in the fingers for fishing. You want the water proof sealed ones.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39189597&memberId=12500226

If you need something warmer than a glove, look for Windsurfing mittens. Dakine used to make some great ones. I don't think they make them anymore.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 06:31:05 PM by DW »

Princess

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 06:53:48 PM »
To surf in Tofino, I use O'Neill's 5MM LOBSTER SL GLOVE. I love the way they are half glove and half mitt! They keep my hands really warm. I tried to post a link but it does not want to cooperate. Anyway, just google the name and you will easily find them.

I should add that I have only used these to regular surf, not SUP. DW's suggestion may be better...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 06:56:23 PM by Princess »

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 10:11:32 AM »
Great Dane-
Like Princess I use 5mm lobster claw gloves, and they work great. I have been out for an hour in 11 degree ( air) and low 40's water and my hands were warm until the very end of the session.
Hope this helps.
ecsup

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 11:33:53 AM »
I'm in Norcal and I wear 2mm Hotline surfing gloves when air temps are in the 30's or when in the low 40's and it's windy. I usually don't like wearing gloves but I don't like numb fingers either, and I get cold pretty easy. The thinner gloves give you better dexterity but aren't as warm, I know my fingers will get cold even while wearing gloves. The surfing gloves do a better job insulating once they're wet.

Honestly, the glacier glove looks pretty interesting. The big downside there is fit...mail order gloves might involve a couple return trips before they fit right.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 11:52:57 AM »
Thanks all for the advice.  I am going to try a glove by NRS that is made for cold water kayaking, in hopes that it has good paddle dexterity.  There is a shop here that sells them, I will let you know if they work.  If not I will be trying out some of your suggestions next!  I have always suffered from cold fingers, either while cycling, snowboarding or paddling, nothing new... Stay warm!
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 11:21:36 AM »
OK, I live and surf in Stockholm Sweden. Pretty often I cannot surf because of the ice. But when I surf like today it is just over freezing in both water and air. For SUP the Dakine cold water mitts are perfect. They are not the warmest, and they are to cold for surfing (without the paddle), but for stand up they are warm enough and very nice in regards of gripping the paddle.

Happy new year!

/Jesper B

tonemike

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 02:14:36 AM »
let us know how they work.  sounds like you're dealing with the same kind of weather i "enjoy" in the pacific northwest.  i took my boys out to the coast surfing this vacation week and it was a refreshing 34 degrees with the water temp in the mid forties supposedly.  good gloves would've been nice.
-mike

Thanks all for the advice.  I am going to try a glove by NRS that is made for cold water kayaking, in hopes that it has good paddle dexterity.  There is a shop here that sells them, I will let you know if they work.  If not I will be trying out some of your suggestions next!  I have always suffered from cold fingers, either while cycling, snowboarding or paddling, nothing new... Stay warm!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 09:03:27 AM »
This suggestion won't work for the 30 degree waters, but works on cold days here in Califonia. Try a pair of rubber dish washing gloves. I tried several diferent kind of gloves when I was more involved in windsurfing and the dish washing gloves worked the best, and they are cheap. My hands would be cold from the wind and being wet, the rubber gloves worked great.

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 03:07:29 PM »
Xcel mits and wax your paddle.

gavtheoldskater

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 05:50:35 PM »
i'm in the uk, and hate gloves, but have to wear them for about 6 weeks a year. the best ones i have ever used i found by accident one day on a surf trip after i left my neoprene pair at home by mistake...

http://www.tidemaster.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=30_33&products_id=52

effectively a thick washing up glove with a seperate cotton liner glove. they have no weight, do not absorb water, are thin yet incredibly warm. also virtually no loss of feel.

i've been using them for over 10 years now, perhaps a bit more faff than a neoprene based glove (the cotton liner has to be completely dry, and the wrist seal just so) but can't understand why no one else wears them or the major surf manus hav'nt caught onto the idea.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 12:26:03 PM »

Rip Curl Core 5mm 3-Finger Glove
$16.99
63% off
Reg. $45.95

http://www.whiskeymilitia.com/

If you want these, you have to buy them know. The way this web site works is one item is for sale until sold out & you may never get the bargain again.

I've bought sevral things from these guys and they are very legit.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
foiled again
April 25, 2024, 07:28:05 PM
B-Walnut