Author Topic: Missing a Huge Market  (Read 16606 times)

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Missing a Huge Market
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 07:36:04 PM »
Bill hit it on the head....it's all about using the best tool for what Mother Nature throws at you.  A world class surf spot here in Fl has evaded me for the most part because shlogging over in side off winds on my 95 liter wave board makes it dicee and not fun stalling next to a certain jetty waiting for waves.  But the SUP as changed all of that.  I logged more sesh's there this past year then I did in the previous 4 years.  And it just got better for me as my SUP'n friends were totally hating the wind as side off tends to stand you up and make drop ins hard.  Not for MOI !!

However, realizing that even a small SUP seems huge if you already shortboard, a beginner should get regular lessons on a beginner board to learn the basic mechanics.  As an instructor it takes about two hours to get someone where they can go out and get back to the same spot where the started.  Switching over to a larger SUP would just take a few sesh's. 
Beginning out a small SUP might be quite a long endeavor but not impossible as I started out on a F2 Bullet 9'6" as my first board many moons ago,,,,though in retrospect....I really should of gotten a larger board to start. 

Just like Bill said though, it's total free surfing...you get to put your feet in places you normally wouldn't with straps and it's all about effortlessly sailing out thru the white water, stop, troll, set, rip and do it all over again.  So other then winds greater then 40 knots.....I've got every base covered.  MY GF is not liking it.  ;)

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2009, 04:59:06 AM »
Neat vid CB1... I'm suppose to have a NS78 (SUP version) on it's way to N Fla as I type. Once I have a chance to try her out, I'll report back... Later,    JD

JD, did you order the NS78 direct or order from an US distributor or shop?

@Wavehobbit, what board are you using? 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 05:03:49 AM by CB1 »
supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2009, 05:51:25 AM »
Neat vid CB1... I'm suppose to have a NS78 (SUP version) on it's way to N Fla as I type. Once I have a chance to try her out, I'll report back... Later,    JD

JD, did you order the NS78 direct or order from an US distributor or shop?

@Wavehobbit, what board are you using? 

Jurg Schnorf (WindsurfDeal.com) is the US Distro for the AHD's (maker of Nah Skwell line)... They can be order thru windsurfdeal.com...          JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 07:33:59 AM »
Right now I'm using a HISS  (Hawaiin Island Surf & Sport) from Maui.
It's a 9'6 by 29" Tri fin.  I'm getting a custom 8'6" built as I have some ideas incorporated that most manf's haven't really gone after yet. 
We'll see how it turns out.  I also use to use the Naish 11'4" and still do on mellow days.  It also carves an incredible turn while windsurfing but you'll stuff the nose if you try to radical of a re-entry.  So on that board I go more vertical up and then down the wave a little coming down, whereas the HISS I can go up and down more vertical....well too a point.  What's amazing is the torque and angle of attack you can hit the lip at.  Greater then surfing and def. SUP's and regular windsurfers.
For the first two the sail force allows you counter balance and torque and as for convetional windsurfers they have flatter rocker lines and the straps are placed more for General Purpose.  When I wavesail side off I'm finding my backfoot place on the inside rail and front foot centered. 

emulzhn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2010, 11:33:29 AM »
what makes starting hard on ANY SUP is the lack of centerboard (a fin at ~ 1 foot rear of the mast). If you have no sailing background, it will be very very hard to understand how to steer a windsurfer board without this center fin, you will need this for I'd say the first 3-4 hours. With practice you will then learn to shift your weight to use the rails and rear fins to provide the grip in the water to properly balance the sail forces. I dont think the longer SUPs will be easier to learn on if they do not have a centerboard. They could be even harder as the fin is much more away from the sail center of thrust.

For instance the ahd/nah skwell people have made a SUP where you can start windsurfing on: the "summer board" with a center fin. http://www.a-h-d.com/boards/windsurf/2009/summer-board/?ahdid=undefined I think starboard have a big SUP with a centerboard too.

I would advise you to find a real windsurfer with a centerboard to spend your first hours on, or rent it or take lessons. Or use/make a device to add center fins to your board, I saw once something like http://learnwindsurfing.com/stabilizer.html with fins on the added side hulls (but close to the rails). Even a wood plank with a fin (just a screwed-on plank should be ok) on it that you strap to the underside of your board could do the trick.

Lateral static  stability, unlike SUP, is not really a big problem for windsurfing. Balancing wind forces is. And longitudinal stability is needed to change sides, your nah skwell may be hard to tack/jibe.

def agree. 

I purchased a 12'6" Starboard with initial intentions to SUP, to join my prone surfer friends....  IN addition, I had about 4 sessions of windsurf experience.... 8 years ago.  Due to age and gravity, my fat butt has grown to 235lbs.  And at 46 yrs old, it's not getting any easier.... but I do enjoy being out there on the water.  Shortly after using it as a SUP, I placed a sail onto it to see what it b like.
I struggled at first as the board did not have a daggerboard.  But I was diligent to sail this sidewalk, and started to use the rails initially to get going.  Once I was gliding, step back onto centerboard and off I sailed. 

But I do like the idea of having a board that has a dual ability.   At first I thought of purchasing a dedicated learner windsurf board but after sailing my SUP, I think that it's more versatile.  I believe that there is a market for shorter SUP's with mast inserts.  I know I'll be looking for a shorter SUP for more maneuverability.  But knowing that I can remove the rig and paddle regardless of how short it is makes it fun for everybody.     

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin