Author Topic: Board report, 8'5" Imagine Eco Cutback Report  (Read 9498 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Board report, 8'5" Imagine Eco Cutback Report
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »
Corran,

I totally get it.  No worries.  The Cutback is built so strong, it will last forever.  I look forward to trying out the Enigma.  I like that it appears to have a little narrower profile. 

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

makaiolani

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 04:56:12 PM »
I just wanted say everything that has been said here is true.  I love my board.  I own the 8'5" Cutback too.  I initially needed to tweak the fins which this allows you to do and wow.  I can get some speed on my bottom turns so much so that I get up the face too fast for my slow brain to think.  

We finally had decent sized surf on the South Shore of Oahu this week and it was awesome.  I think I'm going to try and go more vertical now.  Just gotta be careful since it gets crowded here.

Corran I hope Adam can get the Halo's licensed for this fin system.

Aaron  

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 04:59:22 PM by makaiolani »

makaiolani

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 05:02:55 PM »
Smiles on the Board

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »
Aaron,

That is one BEAUTIFUL traction pad work my friend!

Tim

BTW, I have been surfing this board at an absolutely dredging reef for the past few weeks, going through paddles, fins, leashes... but the Cutback is still going strong... any other board would be DONE.  Boards were snapping all over this morning, but I was stuffing the Cutback deep, getting dragged across the rocks... the thing is freaking bombproof... I ordered the Enigma in flux core from Wardog at SurfingSports... it should be in soon, then I can get all of the little booboos on the Cutback fixed.  Aloha, Mahalo and all of those cool Hawaiin words to you Aaron.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

joelcr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »
Tim,

What size enigma did you order??

And how about a report when you get it on how the flux core lay-up feels.

I really like the description of the cutback that you have.

Thanks,

Joel

makaiolani

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 09:44:58 AM »
I too ordered the Enigma 8 6.  I'm currently repping Corran's boards down here on Oahu so if anyone wants to try it feel free to contact me.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »
Aaron,

That is one BEAUTIFUL traction pad work my friend!

Tim

BTW, I have been surfing this board at an absolutely dredging reef for the past few weeks, going through paddles, fins, leashes... but the Cutback is still going strong... any other board would be DONE.  Boards were snapping all over this morning, but I was stuffing the Cutback deep, getting dragged across the rocks... the thing is freaking bombproof... I ordered the Enigma in flux core from Wardog at SurfingSports... it should be in soon, then I can get all of the little booboos on the Cutback fixed.  Aloha, Mahalo and all of those cool Hawaiin words to you Aaron.

I ordered the 8'6".  I SUP'd for six hours straight on Cutback today... my entire body is rebelling right now, so I am looking forward to something that rips, but has a little more stability... so that my thighs can last a little bit longer.  I look forward to getting it and passing on the comparison.

Thanks,

Tim

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 06:18:55 AM »
Hey Tim...  They better make you a team rider after your board reports... Im ready to buy one....

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 06:28:35 AM »

my entire body is rebelling right now, so I am looking forward to something that rips, but has a little more stability... so that my thighs can last a little bit longer.

Thanks,

Tim

Thant's the great thing about riding these smaller boards. They give your body a 'super' workout. 1 hour on a super shortie is equal to 2.5 on a standard size sup (IMHO)...      Later,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 09:38:03 AM »
SUPer Dave,

You would have loved it.  Creek was crowded so I would take a wave at point (a wide swinger), then paddle up to middles, take a wave, then back to point.... this was after surfing in front of the ramp on a swell with WAY too much North...

As I am padding down to Creek from the ramp, this guy says, "Hey you know that big left that you got destroyed on... ?"  I go, "Yeah... which one?"  He says, the beach went nuts after your head popped up..."  Classic.

A bit of negative vibe, but it is Creek, so it is expected.

Got some really good waves... but given how wrecked my body is this morning, I am shocked that my board is still in one piece. 

BTW, double leashed it again... with one leash breaking on decided to ditch rather than ride out the foam.

As to my board reports, thanks man... If I got my boards from Corran for free though, no one would believe me!

JD,

I totally agree.  I wanted to take my 9'5" out after I got some water and a power bar... but I was afraid that I would break it.

Tim

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 12:51:03 PM »

my entire body is rebelling right now, so I am looking forward to something that rips, but has a little more stability... so that my thighs can last a little bit longer.

Thanks,

Tim

Thant's the great thing about riding these smaller boards. They give your body a 'super' workout. 1 hour on a super shortie is equal to 2.5 on a standard size sup (IMHO)...      Later,   JD

JD,

I agree totally.  I was being a little bit sarcastic on needing a board with more stability ( I LOVE THIS BOARD!).  Six hours with constant paddling (to ensure that I NEVER was taking a wave from a surfer... well, maybe a right or two at Middles)... and a decent sized swell, (and 44 years young) and you are going to be beaten to a pulp no matter what you are riding.  It is tough for us (old) weekend warriors!  The classic was the bike ride up the hill at the end. :'(

Take care,

Tim

Marcelo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 02:56:50 PM »
Tim, I want an autograph! You surfed for six hrs and rode a bike up the ramp? You're my new hero!

I have a client with a house in laguna and i have surfed the creek once...going back up with a shortboard, beach umbrella and pushing a stroller and not fun...

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
Marcelo,

You are too cool.  In fairness, I paddle from South of Creek about 1/2 mile... my community has a little gate that opens onto the beach there, I enter the water there and then paddle up to Creek.  I pretend that this gives me more cred in the water.  The hill is still pretty brutal.  My house is actually a tiny bit higher in altitude above the parking lot, just 1/2 mile or so south.  The Hill is about the same intensity as coming up the Salt Creek hill, (if you follow the sidewalk up... )

Thanks,

Tim

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 02:39:09 PM »
This board continues to amaze.

Surfed the wave North of PB point today before an a.m. meeting in San Diego.

Big, high tide, lots of swell.  SUP'd this spot once before, about a year ago. 

Enter at Tourmaline, long paddle... a little chilly in my shortjohn.  Some soft long rights and some steep lefts.  Being very careful and courteous.  Too courteous as I let a right go to a guy on a fish (I had priority but was trying to be cool)... I turn around and get killed by a set... try to shoot the board over... no chance.  Pop... goes the leash (should have double leashed it, but broke a leash last weekend and forgot to replace it).  Swimming as fast as I can... with a paddle, a few hundred yards of swimming while I wait to pick up the pieces of my board on the rocks... freaking out.  Finally get through the surge onto the rocks... protecting my paddle... and my fancy watch that keeps coming unclasped... (why in the **** didn't I wear my surf watch!!!).  The board is in one piece.  The fins are still on it... and the only ding is a new ding to the nose.... (which I already trashed a few weeks earlier) ...  Grab it, paddle back out... grab a few more waves (closed cell foam!)... and think about starting a leash company selling leashes that actually work.

As to the surfing, Surfed very conservatively as I do not know the people or the spot very well.  This board is amazingly fast on a large slopey face... It felt like I was pulling majpr freaking G's.  I cannot imagine how this board would go at TJ Slough... I definitely have to find out!  In a larger arena like that, I would probably want the 9'0" for paddle power.

Tim

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 09:20:58 AM »
Salt Creek Point this weekend (PLEASE DO NOT SUP THIS SPOT UNLESS YOU ARE VERY GOOD... IT IS VERY VERY SUP UNFRIENDLY AND VERY VERY CROWDED) ... as much speed as you can possibly imagine on a steep backhand wave.  If you want a vitrually indestructible board that flies... turns on a dime... look no further.

You get so much speed on this board, that you literally have to think of ways to scrub it...

Postives:  Fast, loose, rides like a shortbaord, lots of rocker... projects, if you have the skill, the board can do it, adjustable fins, virtually indestructable, eco friendly.

Negatives:  Not super stable,  lots of rocker (hard to get into waves... you need to commit at the pit), perhaps a bit heavier than it needs to be, it is no longer in the Imagine Eco lineup. 

After my Enigma comes, I will review that one as well.  This is my last post on the Cutback review... I hope that it was helpful.

Tim

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf