Author Topic: HELP ME FIGHT RULES BANNING SUP'S FROM ALL OF ORANGE COUNTY  (Read 28992 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: HELP ME FIGHT RULES BANNING SUP'S FROM ALL OF ORANGE COUNTY
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »
A few quick notes and UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with the folks at Quick Blades, they are behind the effort 100%.  Great folks, super cool owner (Jim Terrell) amazing products, and they stand behind their stuff, (closeout barrels and paddles sometimes don't mix well.)

Also, in case any proof readers noticed any typo's in the letter to the county... the final letter was triple checked and error free.  The PDF version will be uploaded when I figure out how to do it and I promised to send a copy to John Ashley to put on his site.

Thanks,

SL

American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

WaterSurge

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2009, 10:46:48 AM »
We should really start a Stand Up Paddlers/Surfers Association. The voice of hundreds or thousands of members is much more powerful than the voice of one. This could be a regional association, responding to the current crisis in OC or it could be state-wide, or even national (with local chapters). We can work out the details later.

Flat water paddlers could use an association like that to fight the "boat" designation that requires a pfd. And SUP surfers (like me) need help to fight counties to get the same access to waves as the surfers. We have to be included in the process of writing any new law that may be written. I really don't want to be kicked out of the surf in Manhattan Beach or any other beach in California.

A good example of such an excellent association is the San Francisco Boardsailing Association, which had great dedicated presidents in the past, and that successfully fought for access to many sites. They also have thrown some great parties! (I used to live in the SF Bay Area)

Tim, would you be interested in starting such an association? You seem to have the will, time and skills (and personal stake) for that.  I suggest getting in touch with the SFBA (go to www.sfba.org for contact info.) Obviously, members would contribute to offset some of the costs. Maybe the SUP industry can contribute too?

You can include me in any sort of list or petition that you may be considering (please send me a personal e-mail if you want me contact info)

Serge

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2009, 12:43:40 PM »
Serge,

Thanks for the suggestion...

You are right, I do have the stake, (maybe the skills, etc.), but time is a very valuable commodity for me.  Right now my receptionist and secretary are sharing the burden of organizing everything for me in dealing with the County of Orange... I would be willing to take the lead in leading such a charge, but I would need someone in the industry to provide me with access to a staffperson to organize and follow through. 

The role that I play at my firm is that of trial attorney, appellate writer, brief editor, "idea guy" and hard ass ... and my associates and staff do the dirty (follow through) work.  While I love my passion and am going to fight like a mf'er to keep my (our) rights, I am just not a detail guy.  Having said that, if I get access to a staff person from some company that is making money on this great sport, I would love to spearhead the effort at starting a National, Regional, Local SUSurfing organization.

Didn't intend to sound like a big shot (clearly I am not), but I just know my weaknesses.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2009, 05:45:33 PM »
Surfrider Founation is aware of this thread.  I am not sure that SF would advocate for our position on this issue given the tension between the different water users.  Additionally, SF has taken positions on many issues that some SUSurfers may not necessarily want to endorse.

SL

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2009, 06:54:22 PM »
Surfrider Founation is aware of this thread.  I am not sure that SF would advocate for our position on this issue given the tension between the different water users.  Additionally, SF has taken positions on many issues that some SUSurfers may not necessarily want to endorse.

SL

As a proud Surfrider member, I'm disappointed to read this. Can you elucidate the issues with Surfrider and SUPs?

The Surfrider Mission Statement certainly suggest that they would be strongly against any ban of SUP surfing.

http://www.surfrider.org/whoweare2.asp
Mission Statement

The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world's oceans, waves and beaches for all people, through conservation, activism, research and education.

Surfrider Foundation Principles

Represented by over 50,000 members and 60 local chapters in the U.S., the Surfrider Foundation also has affiliations in Australia, Japan, France, and Brazil. The Surfrider Foundation has adopted the following principles to guide and govern the activities of the organization .

1. SURFRIDER recognizes the biodiversity and ecological integrity of the planet's coasts are necessary and irreplaceable. SURFRIDER is committed to preserving natural living and non-living diversity and ecological integrity of the coastal environment.

2. SURFRIDER promotes the right of low-impact, free and open access to the world's waves and beaches for all people. SURFRIDER acts to preserve this right of access.

3. SURFRIDER is dedicated to enhancing wave-riding opportunities in ways which will not adversely impact nearshore ecosystems.

4. SURFRIDER believes environmental education is essential to the future health and well- being of the planet. SURFRIDER seeks to develop and utilize educational materials that are informative, factual, proactive, synergistic and fun.

5. SURFRIDER strives to be accurate and nonpartisan in its communications with its members and the general public. In addition, SURFRIDER will express the unique values inherent in wave-riding — individualism, camaraderie, non materialism, and an appreciation for human kind's historic relations with the Ocean.

6. SURFRIDER is a grassroots organization, effective through the participation of its members. SURFRIDER activities emphasize the value of an involved membership.

7. SURFRIDER encourages all commercial enterprises to adopt the Ceres Principles. Their determination to do so will favorably influence SURFRIDER's willingness to provide support. SURFRIDER will not permit sponsors to divert the Foundation from its mission or projects undertaken.

8. SURFRIDER does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, or national origin for any reason. SURFRIDER promotes the healthy enjoyment of the coastal environment for all people.

9. SURFRIDER and its representatives, affiliations and chapters agree to abide by these principles and all rules and regulations governing non-profit organizations.
Sustainable Surf

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »
Kevin,

I did not mean in any way to imply that SF has taken a position against SUSurfers concerning water access.  I simply said that SF (a member of the executive committe) is aware of this thread. 

If you took my statement about positions that "SF has taken" to mean that they have taken positions against SUSurfers concerning beach access, I did not say that nor did I mean that.  I apologize if my meaning was unclear.  What I meant was...and I do not want to be political on this website as there are plenty of other websites for that... but SF (while doing significant good) can sometimes take positions that some people (including some SUSurfers and prone surfers) believe to be statist or anti-liberty in the name of pursuing their (however noble) pro-environment agenda.   By using SF as the SUSurfer advocacy forum, some SUSurfers may feel that they are being forced to subsidize causes or goals that they do not necessarily believe in that whose unintended consequences may actually prove to be harmful to the environment.  So that this does not turn into a political discussion, I will leave it at that.

SL

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »
LOL... yes let's not start an environmental discussion on this thread!!! Thanks for clarifying.

It's good that Surfrider is aware of this issue. I would suspect that they could be a valuable ally in this fight over access, and that their environmental agenda would have nothing to do with it. However, you're point man on this issue, and I'll support your decisions on the best way to proceed.
Sustainable Surf

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2009, 08:58:30 PM »
Kevin,

If your experience with SF indicates that they will be an advocate for access remaining agnostic in the SUSurfer versus prone surfer argument, I am happy to encourage you to put out some feelers.

As to the "political discourse on this thread" comment, your "LOL" stokes me tremendously... because that assures me that you took my comments in the spirit in which they were intended, and that regardless of political philosophy or perception as to the malleability of human nature, we can all work together on this issue.

As to me being the "point guy," I greatly appreciate your deference, but please don't assume that... like I have said before, I am selfishly advocating for my own self-interested purposes but want to make sure that I am doing so in a manner consistent with the goals of the vast majority of SUSufers, (no intended reference to the superiority or inferiority of certain economic systems)  I am definitely not Allen Iverson, if someone else wants to shoot, I will be happty to try to get the assist.

Thanks again Kevin and I look forward to working with you,

SL

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2009, 05:41:13 PM »
Left multiple messages for County Counsel, no return calls.  I will give them the first few days of next week to set up the meeting, then we may have to become adverse.

SL

Ho'e He'e Nalu Mel

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2009, 03:59:53 PM »
Left multiple messages for County Counsel, no return calls.  I will give them the first few days of next week to set up the meeting, then we may have to become adverse.

SL

Tim,

I have some guys here in the NPB-HB area that regularly SUS together.
As a matter of fact, a great group of dudes. We will help you with "our cause".
You can add me to your list, PM me or email me at: paddlesurfmg@gmail.com.

I wrote an article for John's web site as we SUS'd Sinaloa Mexico. He knows me, and he has good visibility through paddlesurf.net as you know. We NEED to win the hearts and minds of the County first through stoke and aloha, then win them in the legal battle.
Please let us know what we can do to be involved. Keep the thread alive, and updated. I have had this talk a million times with state beach peace officers, and the only cool one is the old dude at San-O. But they do not get it. :o

Mike Garmon

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2009, 05:25:45 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the information and the stoke.  I can't wait to meet your group both on this issue and in the water.  I just receved a call from County Counsel Matt Miller and he is trying to set up a meeting for this week.  I will keep you posted.  I will add you to the group and I will see you at the meeting.  Thanks for your positive vibe... you are right, we should try to convert them with ALOHA, but I do not want them to classify us as some ridiculous vessel and then give us ten square meters in which to paddle... giving the entire ocean to prone surfers with attitude problems.  Of course I am not saying that all prone surfers have attitude problems, just many, many.

Tim

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2009, 05:46:35 PM »
All,

For the meeting, I will be bringing my 7'6" SUP (leash and safety handle), my QB paddle with safety tape around the edges, AND a friend's 10'0" longboard for comparison purposes.

Does anyone else have any other ideas for appropriate visual aids.  I was thinking that Pono Bill might want to come shirtless, wearing a polka dot speedo, zinc on the nose, a whistle around his neck and a lifeguard hat... anyone, anyone, anyone, Buehler....

SL

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2009, 06:04:21 PM »
Gee, I didn't think anyone had seen that speedo. It's safely locked up in a briefcase and chained to my wrist in case we need it. It's inflatable and it's an approved PFD, but no one wants to see that happen.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »
Pono Bill,

Honestly, you can trust me with the spare key.

SL

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin