Author Topic: Coast guard classification of SUP?  (Read 12716 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Coast guard classification of SUP?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »
Yes indeed it can, though the coast guard classification is very clear in excluding the classification in surf areas. The lifeguard is out of line, a typical example of using a position of authority to enforce personal bias. If you were a grumpy bastard like me you'd unleash nuclear weapons (lawyers) on him and his superiors.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bootesta

• Rincon Status
    • MSN Messenger - Dr.loritesta@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 05:08:56 PM »
I thought I might have got the shaft on that one, but I was a visitor so I quietly left.  Now that I am a little more informed on this issue I can have a little dicussion with the lifeguards on this beach.  Thanks Bill for the info.
Starboard 7’4 Airborne carbon
Starboard 7’1 Pro carbon

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 07:59:51 PM »
Hey Corran,

Take what PonoBill posted and run with it.  I think you have a great chance of getting it ruled in your favor.  And your absolutely right, we have tons of MOU's (mem. of understandings) with Canada. 

Josh, as for Florida, I think the ruling is actually a pretty good deal.  You really can't argue too much with the kayak-like ruling for inland waters if your objective about it.  I hate it but........

Like I said....the FWC and USCG won't be enforcing it anytime in the future as long as we don't have an incident or death.  So I think you'll be alright on the intracoastal waterway.  Park Rangers are a completely different story.  Believe it or not I had one come up to me as I exited the Kiddy Pool at St. Andrews after Suping the Pass.  It was straight out of a movie.  He ran down to meet me at the waters edge and was all over me for coming in by the "NO MOTORIZED VESSEL" BUOY.  I pointed that out to him and he said if I do it everyone will.  He had his hand on his gun.  I asked him why he was going to LEVEL I.  It's part of our LE training.  He said "What".  Anyways to make a long conversation short.  I said I had no problem going in on the other side next time.  He wouldn't let it go......so then I let him know who I was and would be more then happy to talk to his Supervisor who I know.  He got all huffy and walked away. 

They have minimal training usually and you could always ask him what the USC or Cite is because they don't have one...but I don't know if you want to go there.  I think they'll all get use to us after a few years....but your always going to get a Barny every now and then. 

If things get ugly I'll use inside channels and petition for a ruling in our favor...but right now I think we need to let it ride. 

Stan
PS  I'll keep you posted for when the Pass might go off again.....it's a pretty incredible wave.....

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2009, 07:08:06 AM »
Down under the coast guard say it's ok without a PFD in the surf but on the bay and open water a PFD must be worn.. We are in the process of trying to change this.. but in the mean time I got one of these.

I've been looking at getting a PFD just in case I get hassled by the water Police on one of my long distance paddles.. and also for the peace of mind in case I get into trouble..

All the PFD's that I'd seen in the marine shops were over the shoulder type and pretty expensive and while talking to Sam from Kialoa paddles she told me about this small bum-bag style that they use paddling their out-rigger canoes.

Well I got one so I could check it out and here's a few pictures.. It's nice to not have something hanging around the neck and shoulders.

It even has a little zip section for your keys and condoms..  ;D .. Does this little PFD make my arse look big?..  ;D

DJ

uglysupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2009, 09:45:51 AM »
That's a cool product, I wonder if we have one in the states. That would be the perfect solution for river paddling. I will look for that here in the states.

Stan, we will be strapping PFD's to our boards fo the inland waterways. ( i got plenty from the wakeboard guys) and hopefully avoid confrontations altogether.

FWIW, on our *lakes* here in the city of winter park, i have paddled over to Winter Park Police Officers, usually out to the patrol the lakes and keep the wakeboarders/waterskiers well behaved, and specifically (but very politely) asked, and they said they had no information on it, and seemed content to let me paddle on sans PFD.

Definitely seems to be the Barney-types with little else to do that want someone to pick on who seem to be the most hassle. And yeah,  I agree, trying to point out that they are in the wrong, or there isn't any code usually only serves to rile them up even more  Feign ignorance, grovel, and get outta there.

I would love to know about the Pass next time it goes - but after my knee surgery in two weeks i am going to be out of commission for a LONG time :(

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2009, 10:04:40 AM »
Josh,

I hope the knee surgery goes well.  Maybe you can send Eddy down for sesh.  The key is to catch it on an average day, chest to head, any bigger and the whole State comes over and it's out of control.  I've only brought a friend or two over at a time as I want to keep the peace for wavesailing.  Any more then two wavesailors and the surfers are going to get a little disturbed.  I let alot of waves go.....and usually surf for awhile and socialize. 

For all...when confronted by law enforecment, smile,,,,exibit the good spirit and be really courteous.  It's important to seperate ourselves from the stigma the jet ski's, miny boats, and wake boarders out there. 

I'm supposed to give some lessons to the FWC guys over here sometime....now that's how you beat the system.  I've also turned some of the Sherrif Dept. Guys on to it also and they were totally jazzed. 

uglysupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2009, 01:16:46 PM »
Cool.

I would be stoked to sail/SUP/surf Amazons whenever, although I still consider myself pretty damn kooky on a prone surfboard. Much less so on SUP - but still a kook :)

Eddy's new job has him pretty tied down during the week, but I'm betting we'd both be down for a trip up there if the conditions look right for a weekend, or a monday/Friday. Keep us in the loop!

NCBA

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2009, 04:53:19 AM »
I bought the same waist belt inflatable here in NC. I goin to use on the 4th. We also need a whisle and a flash light for signaling. This belt seems better than strapping a PFD to the board.

If I have beer with me while paddling, does it need to be on the back of the board? :)

uglysupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 05:05:12 AM »
I think beer is best positioned in one of those hats. With intravenous hoses :) j/k.

Can you point me to the store/website where you got that? I did a quick search and didn't find that particular product.

NCBA

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 05:34:56 PM »
I got mine at a West Marine store. I believe they an online store.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2009, 08:41:55 PM »
They do, but the sales are better at the stores. worth dropping in, if only because you really do need a 3/4 inch monel shackle--and who doesn't.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin