Author Topic: to gps or not ?  (Read 5385 times)

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
to gps or not ?
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:16:10 PM »
having my new Bark, i'm of course curious as to what speeds i'm going and would like to monitor how i'm improving. so obviously a gps would be the way to go.
however, i'm still very undecided due to the following issues. first, i'm not made of money and to buy this Bark i've had to sacrifice many things and sell many others. so money is a bit of an issue. next, i think that if i had a gps, my paddling sessions (flat or downwind) would turn into "speed chasing" sessions where i would constantly be obsesed with how fast i'm going and how fast i should be going. it might turn my whole paddling into a numbers crunching experience and make it a little stressfull at times.
till now i only paddle by and for the feel. paddling is kept a pure sensory experience. i push myself to go fast, move smoothly, use the water well, stay balanced etc...
of course if i had one, i could chose to use it only for some paddles but i doubt that would happen.
i imagine that once you've tasted having the info a gps provides, paddling without it would make you feel you're missing out on something.
so there you have it. let me know what you think ? to gps or not to gps ???

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: to gps or not ?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:57:55 AM »
GPS has changed the way i train thus changing the way i race.  i experiment with paddle technique and get accurate and instant feedback.  same goes for equipment and conditions and the combination of them all.  feedback =opportunity to improve..not just in speed but efficiency.
I highly recommend the Garmin 305.  search online you can get it now for less then $170.  but make sure it comes with the heart monitor

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 04:28:16 AM »
Can you go into detail on how it helps?

Does it have a reset button and average read out? Do you reset, then paddle using a certain technique, then check your average speed?

Some examples of how you use it would be helpful.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 08:57:24 AM »
The 305 series is very good, but any hand held GPS will work fine. I got a Garmin Legend from Amazon.com for about $100 on sale. I also use it for hiking and fishing, so it was easy to justify. Just be sure you get one that has an easy computer interface.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 09:34:51 AM »
My advice would be to use it as a training tool; i.e: practicing different paddle strokes/cadences & different fin set-ups.  But by all means, you don't have to take it on every trip.

I had the same issue during my 25 years of bike racing.  Bike computers, heart rate monitors and power meters all are great tools, but they can certainly take away from the pure joy of cycling or paddling.  That said; now that I have 'retired' from bike racing and sold all my electronic gizmos, my rides are much more enjoyable. 

If you are serious about getting faster as a racer, use the GPS.  Good luck!
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:00:43 AM »
For me, strap it on, start it at the beginning, stop it at the end, and don't think about it in between. 

You will get all of the details later, on your ass, in front of your computer  ;D.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:05:07 AM »
For me the big issues are heart rate monitoring and recording (to see where I'm pushing and what the result is) and paddle stroke refinement. I'm also training for specific length races, so I want to see my time for them and work on upping my pace. I think I train more often and harder with a GPS because I have a goal to shoot for, and I can see my progress in attaining the goal while I'm paddling, and later on the computer. It's also great for journaling what I'm up to.

I use the 305 with heart monitor, though I find that sometimes the iPhone is actually a better GPS. I know that sounds completely weird, but in many locations it's true, and the iPhone also serves as my MP3 player and for emergency communications. It also is unfortunately a way for people to get hold of me when I want to enjoy a paddle, but that's not always bad. I transacted part of a deal that was important to me while I was standing on my board in the multnomah channel a few days ago.

I know that probably won't help you Noa, unless there is a similarly enabled phone available in Greece, but it might help some others. I think you'll find a GPS with heart monitor is ultimately worthwhile, but I empathize with the cost involved and it's true that it changes the nature of the experience.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SchUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 12:27:11 PM »
Aha!  looks like I get the lone dissenting opinion!  

I barely have time to get out for my SUP runs (esp with canoe season), but I definitely don't have time for GPS "data reduction".  Once I get home, the memory of a run and lesson's learned are locked and loaded for next time.   Any analysis of my average/instantaneous speed and route tracking are useful, but not worth pouring over and analyzing versus previous runs.

It may be obvious, but it should be mentioned that a single GPS track doesn't stand on its own very well -- you really need the comparison to past tracks of the same run as well as notes on the conditions, board, wind, groundswell, current, tides...  The knowledge that I fell 30 times in 1 hr while averaging 5mph (8mph on runners) is really not going to help one catch waves but it's great for determining "if it was a solid run for the conditions," or "if it was a good route for the conditions".   And, all that those past runs *really* buy you is a general strategy on route selection -- which is usually "follow the fast guy" anyway.  :D

I personally went the route of the $40 timex heart rate monitor(HRM) and love that feature -- if you really want to take control of a workout, get one asap.  Your heart is your motor, and an HRM gives you a tachometer.  If the GPS feature is worth $110 to you, then the Garmin 305 is a sweet deal ($150 is the best I've seen).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:33:18 PM by SchUP »

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 12:43:21 PM »
"my paddling sessions would turn into "speed chasing" sessions where i would constantly be obsesed with how fast i'm going and how fast i should be going. it might turn my whole paddling into a numbers crunching experience and make it a little stressfull at times."

That was my experience.  After 20 years or chasing personal records in weightlifting I get caught up in going faster and rather than savoring a nice paddle I focus on how fast or slow I went and try to chase that "high" of being faster rather than the experience of paddling. Every month I will do a stopwatch time trial on a 2.5 mile course changing some variable and making note of the result.

Instinct.  I put a lot of stock in getting mentally/emotionally dialed into your board, your stroke, the feel of the way everything is moving.  Laird said he felt using the electronics made you doubt yourself and blunted your instinctive feel of if this was the day to push harder/go slower etc.  Do you feel when you are in the zone and the stoke is right and the board is moving? 

It is probably wise to avail yourself to the technology from a performance perspective but because of the way I am wired up I keep paddling as my pure temple away from high tech mechanical world...I love the simplicity of it and that is why I do it.  When I am all wired up I get this bummed feeling that I cannot explain...I guess paddling is primal and the electronics mess up this romantic stoked feeling for me. 

Even the way I paddle it is about the feeling.  Maybe a shorter tip/tap high cadence stroke will be slightly faster but what is the point if I dont love the feeling and enjoy the ride?

I will go as far and my beginner instinct will take me

I find it interesting Karel Tresinck who has been completely dominant in OC-1 credits his 6 years of consistent winning to his instinct and ability to read the ocean...his technique, his flatwater paddling strength/speed jokeably average but he has an instinct for the reading and feeling the way the water is moving and no one can catch him. 

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 08:33:25 PM »
If you own a JB, then you're already pretty serious about paddling. Garmin Forerunner 205/305 are relatively cheap tools that add another dimension to your paddling. Fun to tinker with and helpful for training especially using HRM function but I doubt you'll lose your mind over one. Sometimes I take mine, sometimes I forget. Just remember speed function is only course over ground.

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 06:33:30 AM »
very valuable info and opinions !
Shawn i like your wave length. i'm a big believer in instinct, feel and flow. so, is it true that guys like Laird or Dave Kalama mainly paddle gps free ?

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
Well Laird say in his book that other than music he feels that using electronics works for some people but he does not use them because "I want to use my intelligence about my own body" making reference to heart rate monitors.  If you are always consulting your electronics to see how things are going you are maybe not tuning in to other senses.  For me it is not the way to go but I am sure other people love to have the feedback.   

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 01:42:21 PM »
Is this "305" people are mentioning the Garmin Forerunner 305?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=349

wow - $299. on Garmin site - - $159 on Amazon.com

Thanks

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 02:01:21 PM »
Thats the one... Garmin site price is MSRP... wouldnt pay more than $150 or so... Costco had them for $140 I think at one time. No more there though. Note though... someone pointed out that the 305 isnt truely considered "waterproof"... Claims 1meter immersion for 30 minutes... But thats good enough for me.. Had mine for 6 months or so and still working fine...

I still think its a very valuable tool. Especially in the beginning while you are developing your technique. Did a Maliko run yesterday and thought I was flying... Checked the data and nope... little faster average time but my max was actually slower.... just the guys I was paddling with weren't quite as fast as the usual crew.. Thought I was really getting better when I made to the harbor and could still see them..  :)  Reality check...

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 12:32:51 PM »
Got a 305 at Costco - $199. Canadian.

Went for my first paddle this morning on a local lake. 

Was a short one - Had to be at work by 9:00 today - but kinda neat to see my HR and speed on the watch an computer.

Averaged 6.6 kmph with a strong cross wind.

Will be interesting to plot the changes.

Any one know how I get the Maps to show up on Google earth? - I am on a Mac.

Thanks
Warren

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin