Author Topic: Things change - Powerex Paddles  (Read 2199 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Things change - Powerex Paddles
« on: June 07, 2009, 07:23:58 PM »
I had a chance to use one of the Sean Ordonez Powerex paddles Saturday for the 1st time since Feb of 2008. The 1st time I tried using one was when Sean brought the prototype to the board and paddle showcase. It was nice but it almost felt like it grabbed TOO much water. My very newb butt just wasn't ready for it.

I tried one on Saturday and loved it even though it was probably 6" too short for me. Man does that thing move water. I'd love to see it in a narrower blade version for downwind.

I'd love to have the chance to try out all the paddles again as I did back then and see what I think now. Bound to have some different opinions.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Things change - Powerex Paddles
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:59:13 PM »
I would love to try one, or take a look if anyone is Southern Cal is carrying them.  I figure that if the multitiude of spooned deisgns that have been tried and rejected in outrigger did not fly because of the lack of smooth entry and exit then why would this?  But there are so many great reviews out there that I really want to keep an open mind and take one for a spin. 

Deb

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:48:07 AM »
Guess it's a personal choice - I have a Powerx and think it's great for me in wave conditions - it does push water, but it's also stable and helps when I want that extra power shove (like going through wash). Not sure how it would be for long downwind.

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:51:40 AM »
I got mine about a month ago and have been using it every session.  It does have a LOT of pull but it sure makes the board get-up-and-go.  For me it does not seem to flex much, but other observers say it is when I am stroking for a wave.  If you are in San Diego and are about my height (5-7) you can try mine. It is cut at 79".
Oh, and I have them in stock ;)

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 06:52:11 PM »
I used one and thought it was cool- Cort, the guy who brought 'em over was cool and super adamant about the "you break it, we buy it" warranty.

I'm partial now to smaller blades because I like the higher cadence but am sure the super positive grab of the Powerex will appeal to big dudes or people who just like a paddle that doesn't flutter.

Overall the thing looks really nice- I think it will really appeal to big paddlers who are afraid they'll snap their other shafts- I know Big Chad is getting one as a back up.

Super light too. Seemed to flex very little.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »
The big surprise was the change in my perception of the paddle. I still love my Werner Spanker but I wonder about all the other paddles that I didn't care so much for before. Now that my skills have changed/improved I'm sure that some of those paddles would feel very different than before.

I've always tried to tell people that demoing equipment is the only way to be sure that you'll like something. I sometimes hesitate to give an opinion on gear just because I think its SO personal. This really puts an exclamation point on that for me. I'm going to make it a point to tell folks to demo whenever possible. Having the right gear for YOU can make all the difference in making the sport more enjoyable. I think we all need to be a bit more careful about making recommendations. Focusing too much on our own biases (and I'm as guilty as anyone) can possibly end up pushing someone to the wrong gear for them. I think we all need to encourage folks to demo and for shop owners and manufacturers to increase demo availability.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin