Author Topic: To Blane and all the shapers out there: Please post volume numbers!  (Read 22398 times)

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
Re: To Blane and all the shapers out there: Please post volume numbers!
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2009, 05:44:42 AM »
Time to be serious

The smallest PSH board (by volume) is the 9'3" Ripper

At 123 liters ....You have to weigh 270 lbs to sink it in fresh water. :o

Specific gravity salt water =1.025    Weigh 276 lbs

Everybody says Hawaii more salty in summer  i dunno, but seems so

And I really belive a standard deck pad probably adds what 5 liters?.

So yes.... Akebono needs a 9-3 Ripper on each foot
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2009, 05:47:04 AM »
Ps,

I believe I have added enough here....

Clearly there was a baaad week of no swell here.

Bouys are starting to bounce           See Ya!
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

WaterSurge

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2009, 09:04:18 AM »
The volume is "nice to have" but not essential, because SUP/surfboard shapers give you the thickness. Without the thickness, volume would be an essential number.

Thickness is not given in the windsurfing industry, so just having length and width doesn't give you the whole picture. That's why volume is important.

(it was pretty clear to me that the Naish 9'6" was about the same volume as the PSH 9'6" Wide Ripper - same length, one's a tiny bit narrower but a tiny bit thicker, the other one's a tiny bit wider, but a tiny bit thinner... )

See you on the water
(NOT - no surf in California right now  :()

Serge
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:10:58 AM by WaterSurge »

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2009, 09:56:39 AM »
What I found interesting about Blanes numbers were that the rippers were close in volume to the sister AllArounders of the same length.

Scotty Mac

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2009, 05:48:20 PM »
Lovin this thread...... ;D

Outcast,
You really made me laugh about the teeth thing. I think metric actually started in France but, not England but I may be wrong and its not important.

Firewire surfboards have a volume chart which I found handy last time I brought a board. I think it helped my choice and its a great board.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2009, 07:09:34 PM »
Not sure how much volume this board has....

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:24:13 PM by Blane Chambers »

hawaiian.style

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2009, 07:52:23 PM »
don't know about volume, but it looks like he's working on the 1 foot helicopter just like Noah  :D

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2009, 07:59:06 AM »
A massive tsunami should be expected when that foot comes down...  :P

WG

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2009, 11:29:32 AM »
Blane, Thanks for posting your volume numbers on your entire line.  I know most of your boards are very progressive and high performance.  Out of the 13 boards listed, 10 boards are between 123 and 147 liters, only 24 liters between the smallest and largest.  This range is right where most high performance SUP boards fall into, depending on the body weight of the rider.

Your 3 bigger boards are 167, 173, and 178 liters. 10'6", 12', and 11'.  Appropriate for bigger guys, more stability, or giant waves.

Naish is the other line I am familiar who is posting volume numbers.  They have 6 boards ranging from 125 liters to 231 liters.  I have ridden the 9'3", 125 liter board, it is their most high performance board and floats me more than adequately, I'm 173 lbs.

The Naish 9'6", 135 .lt and 10'6", 158 lt. are also more than adequate float.  Their entry level boards are 11'4", 180 lt. , 11'6", 231 .lt , and the 12' race board at 218 liters.   These all have very high volumes for huge stability.  Of course it is condition dependent and weight and ability of the rider.

I hear that Starboards also is giving out volume number.  Does anyone have info on this?

Recently, I constructed a volume tank and was able to measure the volume of hand shaped custom boards.  These ranged from 100 liters to 140 liters.  If anyone is interested, I will post my findings.
Whit

Blane Chambers

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2009, 09:45:14 AM »
From Bob from Brazil's 11' Board Thread...

So much have been discussed here regarding about manufactures listing volume or not. I personally think they have to because common people are in their way to understand more and more about shape and its relationship on board’s performance.

Consider this:

PSH 11’ = 178L
Laird 11’ = 168L
Taka 11’= 162L

Analyzing by volume alone, one could say that a PSH board have more buoyancy, and therefore is more stable, than a Laird board, which is more stable than a Takayama board.
When you consider other aspects such as outline, rails, bottom & rocker, you’ll find out that, in fact, the Laird is less stable than the Taka.

Some reasons for that:

Taka 11'   Laird 11'   PSH 11'
Nose   21-3/8"   20"   n/a
Mid   28-1/2"   27"   30-5/8"
Tail   17-1/4"   15-1/2"   n/a
Thick   4-1/4"   4-1/4"   4-7/8"

This is a good example of how volume is not entirely understood and why it can be confusing.      Our board is more stable because of the bottom contour, width, thickness flow and rail design.       At 30-5/8" this board is a huge difference than the others.  (Huge Literally!)     The buoyancy of this model was meant to float some heavy people upwards of 250 lbs ++ combined with the design/dimensions targeting  someone lighter wanting something ultra stable.    If you look at the dimensions of the 3 boards, you will see they are very different but the volume number posted is one of the is the last reasons they work so differently.   Look at the report on the Laird and Takayama.    Laird has more volume.    

Now if you use the volume as a gauge of only buoyancy then you can have a slightly more useful number when it comes to the question, "Will this board float me?"    Volume doesn't mean a board will be stable or not, paddle fast or not, surf well or not and it barely means it will float you or not.    If you cannot stand on something and you keep falling off, is it really floating you?   Yes, splash!   I mean no.      

I have seen designs very tippy on boards with more than 200 liters of volume.    Perfect example are downwind boards.   There are some that are 300 liters + volume that you can barely stand on because they are so tippy.       The amount of time it takes to learn why volume affects a certain board would be better spent learning how to look at a board and understand what it would do by looking at it.    

But hey, volume is a reality number.    One that makes sense to those who it makes sense to.   So they say... ;)  

note: Bob did some analysis about width etc in the post...   See the 11' Board post for full info...

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:33:17 AM by Blane Chambers »

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2009, 11:18:53 AM »
Yes, splash!   I mean no.      

:D :D :D :D Nice one!!

Time for a little testimonial: (No, I'm not affiliated to PSH and they don't give me any discounts on their boards...   ;D)

First, I think it fits this tread because we're talking about volume and it's relationship to floating (and therefore comfort while paddling). That said, I believe the PSH 11' is one of the most stable boards out there and that's not only because of it's volume alone.

Volume. A couple of months ago, I've had the opportunity to ride both the Naish 11'6 and the PSH 11'. Even though the Naish is a 231L board, to me and my wife the PSH being 53L smaller seemed much more stable (not to mention it surfed better too). I don't mean to blacken Naish board (because it's a great board, afterall) but in fact would like to lighten the PSH 11 footer because this is a killer shape!! Choppy conditions on this board at my weight (200lbs.) seems like I'm standing still in a sidewalk... unfreakingbelieavable!! Congrats, Blane...

Mahalo do Brazil,
Bob.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2009, 11:28:05 AM »
These volume numbers I think are more misleading than helpful.  I still think the measured dimensions are more helpful along with the various design aspects of a board.

Here are the numbers for the 11'6" Laird off Surftech's site

LENGTH:     11'6"     350.52 cm
NOSE:    20 3/4"    50.80 cm
MID:    29"    73.66 cm
TAIL:    16"    40.64 cm
THICK:    4 3/8"    10.16 cm
VOLUME:       195cc

According to this, that board is a barge compared to the rest, but it's narrower and thinner than the PSH 11', but the volume is quite a bit more and a lot more than the 12'1 Laird.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2009, 12:01:47 PM »
We may have to disagree to agree on this one.  

Volume tells you how much a board will float.  It is a great tool in comparing boards of different sizes within within a model line (that share the same design elements) and is a solid tool for determining if you are venturing into impossible territory.

I send a big hug  :-* to everyone who makes these stats available.  

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:03:34 PM by Admin »

Blane Chambers

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2009, 02:15:44 PM »
Hee hee!    I agree, I think? ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 02:17:30 PM by Blane Chambers »

WG

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2009, 04:26:34 PM »
Volume tells you how much a board will float.  It is a great tool in comparing boards of different sizes within within a model line

I agree with Randy here.  Volume is an important comparison number if most other dimensions are the same, length and width being the 2 most important.  Rail shape and bottom contour are next and difficult to measure.

Here is a quote from my post yesterday on the "Test your volume" string:
""Bob, I agree that the volume numbers are only one more contributing factor to the numerical description of a board, albeit a very important number.  We all know that, how a board rides and feels is the most important factor. This "subjective"  feel is only arrived upon by the combination of the numerical or "objective" aspects that can be measured.  The overall feel, or "soul" of the board is the most important.""    WG

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
Today at 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut