Author Topic: The state of SUP surfing?  (Read 3286 times)

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
The state of SUP surfing?
« on: March 28, 2024, 12:57:26 PM »
Hi all,

I've been away since 2018 (both from SUP and this forum). Had a few surgeries and recoveries I needed to take care of.  I'm looking forward to getting back out there, but am curious to hear from you all on what the state of SUP surfing is these days. At my local spots up here in Canada, I'm seeing less SUPs out in the lineup. On my recent trip to El Salvador, I only saw two other SUPers out over a 10 day period.  I also stayed at Alex's hotel (the local legend SUPer down there) and he said he hasn't SUPed much at all over the past few years.

It also looks like this forum has really morphed much more into a strong foiling forum since I was active back in 2017/18.

How's the SUP surf scene down in SoCal where it used to be flourishing (Carlsbad, Sano, Dana Point, etc)? Is it declining elsewhere?  Or is it strong as ever?

50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: The state of SUP surfing?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 04:42:26 PM »
I took a year off to focus on getting my foil skills up. After 150 sessions on foil I wondered "will I still enjoy sup surfing?"

All it took was one wave to feel the magic again.

Foiling is great, I live near the Columbia River Gorge so being able to make turns 30 minutes from home (vs 2 hours to the coast) is awesome. However, there's nothing quite like actually feeling the wave. None of my SUP buddies stopped while I was getting my foils skills up, so not a big change here.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 07:36:41 PM »
I haven't seen much of a shift in CA.  Like any sport that explodes in popularity, there is going to be a healthy decline.
I was at a break a few weeks ago.  A guy that resembled Bob Miller was out on the original Laird SUP with his dog.  It was like he was on a conveyer belt paddling to the outside peak, then riding the wave all of the way in, never he nor his dog dropping in the drink once.  It was like he was in the carpool lane in terms of right of way in the crowded line up.
The SUP scene that I have seen first hand seems more popular in SoCal than NorCal.  The beaches got hammered in SoCal this winter, messing up some of the beach breaks, but SUPs still work.
Foiling is fun, there is a reason why people are addicted to it.  But it all comes down to what equipment works best for your local break.
Me personally, SUP has taken a bit of a dip, due to an uptick in my prone surfing.  I tend to gravitate to the best equipment based on the current conditions, which could be SUP, prone, or kite. 
Don't worry about what what other people are riding, ride the equipment that feels good to you. 
Stoked on your El Savador trip.  Welcome back.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 10:20:29 PM »

The SUP scene that I have seen first hand seems more popular in SoCal than NorCal.  The beaches got hammered in SoCal this winter, messing up some of the beach breaks, but SUPs still work.
Don't worry about what what other people are riding, ride the equipment that feels good to you. 
Stoked on your El Savador trip.  Welcome back.

Ya, SoCal seemed to be a real mecca back in 2014-2018 when I was really active. My shaper was based out of Carlsbad and I made a couple trips down to pick up boards and surf around the area. Met some very cool people on those trips. I'm glad to hear the scene is still strong there.

The state of SUP will have no influence on what I choose to ride. My big decision is only what SUP to bring. I'm not worried, but more curious how things ebbed and flowed while my head was in the sand.

...and thanks....I'm so thankful to be back in a spot where I can froth again!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 10:26:21 PM by surfafrica »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 08:16:05 AM »
I thought this was interesting (and surprising) from Jannik Linder, Gitnux, Market Data Report 2024:

The global SUP market was estimated to be worth $2.6 billion in 2023.
The global stand-up paddleboard market is projected to grow at a rate of approximately 7% between 2021 and 2026.

My personal experience, here on the Jersey Shore, is that while there are not many new SUP ers, we haven't really lost any either.  Personally I've plateaued in my ability and preferences, and I've settled into equipment that work well for me, so it's hard to get exited about new stuff.  That of course is subject to change...

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 08:49:32 AM »
I thought this was interesting (and surprising) from Jannik Linder, Gitnux, Market Data Report 2024:

The global SUP market was estimated to be worth $2.6 billion in 2023.
The global stand-up paddleboard market is projected to grow at a rate of approximately 7% between 2021 and 2026.

My personal experience, here on the Jersey Shore, is that while there are not many new SUP ers, we haven't really lost any either.  Personally I've plateaued in my ability and preferences, and I've settled into equipment that work well for me, so it's hard to get exited about new stuff.  That of course is subject to change...

My perception is that flat water SUPing is growing, but I'm seeing less SUP surfers (but that could just what I think I'm seeing and not reflective of what's really going on).

I'm with you on gear. At first, I was buying new boards pretty frequently hunting what works well for me.  Once I got what worked, I've pretty much locked in on 2 boards and don't see buying anything else until they give out.

503Foil

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 08:58:44 AM »
With the advent of prone foil, sup surf foil and downwind foil (let's not forget winging and kite foiling) the sport has seen a decline here in the Pacific NW for sure. Most of the og's I ride with now take to the foil in some manner. Like any sport the hard-core will always stay true especially if they are based near a good setup. New tech has allowed us to ride in conditions never thought possible so imo foiling has made many chase the new. But hey, I ust added another surf sup to the quiver so now when I charge I'm bringing it all! 🤙
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 09:11:38 AM by 503Foil »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 09:26:34 AM »
I'm just as pumped up about SUP surfing now and I've ever been, but at 76 years old, I'm getting a bit more choosey about when I go out. I've found that here in San Diego the attitude towards us has greatly improved. We are pretty much looked on as fellow surfers, not just wantabees that are cheating.

I'm not seeing very many new SUP surfers, but there are definatly several regulars that always showup when the conditions are good. As mentioned, I'm pretty much set up with only two SUPs, one for 90% of the time and one for when I want to surf but its either too small get waves on my 8'10 or too choppy.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2024, 10:28:43 AM »
I still SUP surf about 3x a week in Nor Cal.  The number of SUP surfers is probably about the same as it has been.
Often it is just one or two SUP surfers out in the lineup, rarely more. 

(Where I surf there is probably too much kelp to foil surf.)

Interestingly, what I have noticed is that the number of used SUP's for sale seems to have dropped quite a bit. 
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2024, 06:21:57 AM »
ive noted that the number of surf suppers i see is stable, where numbers of surfers are continually growing -- lineups tighter and tighter, and sometimes gotta just mix with em bc they are everywhere (at my Brooklyn and RI breaks) -- makes it important to be on one's game -- supper makes an honest mistake, apology wont necessarily suffice

good is that the mass market sup surge seems to have reversed -- so there are fewer beginners on sups in lineups where they shouldnt be

there are hordes of beginners on logs, of course........but life's not fair
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]