Author Topic: SIC Bullet or Starboard Airline (or neither)  (Read 5248 times)

Foil_Dreamer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
SIC Bullet or Starboard Airline (or neither)
« on: November 25, 2023, 11:50:32 AM »
Been trying to get flatwater and bump foiling in gear, and that is another story completely, but the other day I saw a skate do some glides on some small building swell way outside the break zone and wondered:

Could a really long skinny sup do something similar? Not exactly downwinding conditions but be able to paddle way out past the prones and do some glides towards the beach on extremely green and small swells and catch some small non breaking wind swell chop (accompanied by light wind or even no wind).

I only took up paddling to get into the foiling aspect but I am finding that I really like it and rarely want to walk down to my local beach break to sit on my prone board and wait around to catch a few four second rides with the other 50 prones out at any given time. Would rather paddle out away from the break area, cruise around, and steal some energy from the ocean as described above.

Catch is that it has to be an inflatable. Have no room for a composite of the size that would be needed.

So I am looking at the SIC Bullet 17'4" and the Starboard Airline 14 foot options. Interested in any thoughts.

Is this idea even feasible?

Which of those two board options might be the better choice?

Is this just a pipe dream and I should just stay a prone on days I am not trying to get the darn foilboard off the water?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: SIC Bullet or Starboard Airline (or neither)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 01:53:42 PM »
You can forget the idea. An inflatable would not work well at all.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Foil_Dreamer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 04:30:38 PM »
Yeah I figured I might need to kill that idea. But now I need to ask what composite board would work for what I have in mind at 82 kgs. Would it need to be 14 feet long? Not expecting to look like the ski I saw but maybe there is an sup out there that can catch some glide here and there on early stuff and bumps without having to mix it up with the prones in the crashy shore break where the story would surely end with my paddle breaking my nose.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 07:13:26 PM »
In a downwind board, look for a more surfy, less racey shape. I had the Jimmy Lewis M14 and M12'6. They both picked up waves really early, way outside the lineup. The M12'6 was more maneuverable and better for surfing. The problem with surfing downwind boards is that they have more volume than necessary and are very thick which makes them difficult to turn on a wave.

The 12'6 x 29" Hypr Gun would be perfect for what you want to do. https://www.hyprnalu.com/hypr-hawaii-gun

They are absolutely beautiful boards. Lightweight, well-built, and surf great. I had the 10'6 and wish I hadn't sold it.

-
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 07:54:34 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Foil_Dreamer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 08:15:29 AM »
The Hypr does look like the real deal. If I had the space I would love to pick up one of those and give it a go. SIC Atlantis board looks very interesting also to try this sort of thing. Inflatable tech is getting better it seems so maybe someday but for now I need to figure out the space issue or move to a different house.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 12:28:15 PM »
Consider the 12'6" Generation or the 14' All Star Airline Downwind for this task:

https://greenwatersports.com/shop/starboard-inflatable-12-6-x-30-generation-deluxe (join our waiting list)
https://greenwatersports.com/shop/starboard-inflatable-14-x-28-all-star-downwind (in stock)
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2023, 03:36:53 PM »
I forgot about the Generation. I really like the looks of the composite version. I don't know about the inflatable. Here's a comparison.

https://youtu.be/n54jpNT25Fg?si=f44CeN0M7vaLkgPk
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 03:40:18 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Foil_Dreamer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 05:55:40 PM »
This is all good info. Feeling fully warned here and elsewhere that an inflatable might not work so well, I might say wth and sacrifice some cash for experimental purposes as my choices are either drive a couple miles to where I can launch the foilboard without a good chance of ending up on the 11 o'clock news or walk to the beach break and surf the crap waves with deterioraring pop up technique for the millionth time. Or try something new at the beach break on some days.

And that would mean an inflatable unless I can convince she who must be obeyed that I need to replace the dining room table with a composite board balanced on some stools.

I think something in the starboard airline line or the bullet air glide would be the move. The bullet has a pintail like the hypr guns whereas the starboard boards have squash tails. Guessing that might not make too much of a diiference for what I want to do but maybe going to the 17'4" bullet might give some additional advantage overall in speed, seriously green developing swells, and small bump catches vs any of the 14 foot options.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 01:29:27 PM »
14x28 All Star Airline Downwind is a discontinued model. Should be able to get you a good price. PM me or contact me at GWS: https://greenwatersports.com/contact
Julian
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Foil_Dreamer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 01:43:17 PM »
Got it narrowed down to three I think

Allstar Airline 14 x 26

Allstar Airline 14 x 24.5

SIC Bullet 17 x 26

Probably not doing victory at sea type conditions so I am guessing with a little practice the 24.5 wide Allstar might give a better shot at some fun vs the 26 wide.

Got an email in about the double air chamber option availability on those which would be nice to know.

The 17' Bullet looks interesting but I wonder what benefit that length provides towards the task. Then again, surfskis are that long for a reason.

Got some thinkin to do. Will keep an eye on your website

Foil_Dreamer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2023, 07:58:33 PM »
I keep trying to talk myself out of this but it is becoming pretty clear that I am past due for another questionable and expensive (possibly even bad) decision. So I have one last question regarding dimensions that the google is not spitting back that maybe someone here can answer.

Lets assume I start with a board 14' x 26"

Assuming everything else stays proportional and equal in terms of design, what gets the same paddler using the same paddle more glide on the same terrible barely there green swell bump:

A - Increasing board length by 3 feet

B - Decreasing board width by 1.5 inches

Thanks!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2023, 03:05:41 PM »
Bullets from SIC are no longer double chamber. All Star boards from Starboard are not available in DC.

Got it narrowed down to three I think

Allstar Airline 14 x 26

Allstar Airline 14 x 24.5

SIC Bullet 17 x 26

Probably not doing victory at sea type conditions so I am guessing with a little practice the 24.5 wide Allstar might give a better shot at some fun vs the 26 wide.

Got an email in about the double air chamber option availability on those which would be nice to know.

The 17' Bullet looks interesting but I wonder what benefit that length provides towards the task. Then again, surfskis are that long for a reason.

Got some thinkin to do. Will keep an eye on your website
Julian

Foil_Dreamer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2023, 08:57:32 PM »
Pulled the trigger on the 17 foot Bullet inflatable. Took it in the flats and this will be my biggest balance challenge yet. I was bouncing around side to side like I was on a seesaw without a foil hanging off the board but eventually was paddling around in a slight surf stance. The glide on this thing is amazing after only paddling around on foil boards under 8 feet. Almost kinda fun even. Hopeful that it will be near what I am aiming for once I can balance it out in open ocean conditions.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2023, 09:16:38 AM »
make sure the psi is up. Alabama 650 finisher John Knippers uses his 17 Bullet Isup to carry loads of dogs with him :D  so maybe it's something you can get used to and enjoy. Stability is its own speed and I know he finished the 650 on that board vs his Unlimited Speedboard so there must be some advantage there.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2023, 03:43:47 AM »
Keep us updated. I'm interested to hear how well it works for you. Get some video if you catch any waves.   8)
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf