Author Topic: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming  (Read 16437 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
« on: October 10, 2023, 10:36:25 AM »
So wild to see how fast his is advancing, and how.  Real coding, voice, audio, video generation, robot control, etc.  Inevitable at this point but with a course that no one has a handle on.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 06:41:37 AM »
With lowly GPT 3.5.  It is very exciting, but not so distant, superintelligent, robot contolling entitities...that's a lot to consider.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 06:47:54 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 07:04:54 PM »
Yeah, I've done a lot with Chat GTP, Jasper, Fotor, Midjourney, and UIZard. Thank god I'm just fucking around, these things are an insane time sink--horrible for ADHD freaks like me. I start yawning and realize it's 4 ayem. And what have I accomplished--nothing. I've designed hundreds of logos for a business that doesn't exist--and never will. Just playing. Clearly that isn't how people in Biz are using these tools, but they are SO seductive. I almost can't believe people are doing anything but sending queries into Midjourney. This YouTube banner is 100 percent Midjourney generated with a ridiculously simple script. It literally took me less than a minute to create. Brother Bob (stoneaxe) is lightyears ahead of me. He can make these tools bark like a dog. Like Admin with Fusion 360, though Brother Bob is also lightyears ahead on that too.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 07:30:17 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 07:13:03 PM »
Sam Altman is pleasant to listen to. So smart, and so reassuring. I still think we're all fucked, but I do agree that the stuff people were initially worried about is backward. It isn't people installing gutters that have to watch their livelihood go away. It's lawyers, coders, and doctors. They won't simply have a nice tool to apply to their jobs. They'll be toast--soon. The electricians and carpenters have nothing to worry about, and they'll have a nice labor pool of doctors, lawyers, and coders. Would you rather listen to a doctor who left medical school thirty years ago who struggles to manage his practice and keep up on a storm of new knowledge, or an entity that knows about everything going on in their field? in detail, updated to ten seconds ago. If you work with complex issues that require research, access to information, and transforming concepts into tools, then you need to pay VERY close attention. There's an entity that works 24/7, cheaply, never has a bad day, or goes on vacation, and is WAY better at your job by almost every measure that is aiming straight at your livelihood. 

The notion that this leads to a world of plenty is probably correct, but is this the plenty that people will enjoy. UBI seems more to me like being kept as a pet.

Actors who are concerned about AI clones of themselves don't understand the real threat. The next gen will take all the aspects of a person that make them relatable to an audience and create an artificial entity that is MUCH better at those connections than any human is. Coming soon to an auditorium near you--Taylor Swift 3.0.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 07:42:14 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 03:13:25 AM »
That is a great banner!  You should work in the Ferrari pic though.

It was clearly a big surprise to everyone that creativity came first.  It makes sense (in hindsight) that tasks/ jobs which were already largely digital would be first, but creativity?  The striking screen industry knows what is coming.  They expect on demand movie etc. content created generated on the fly from user prompts.  All of those closest to this expect humans as a secondary intelligence within 10 years.  Many see no way to control it from here.  It seems like there might be a moment right now (which we won't take), but not much longer.  The call for government regulation is my favorite.  Regulate us, regulate us.  That should result in some meaningful oversight :). The very request should be concerning to everyone.  Wealth redistribution and UBI are in every discussion, and often global.  That is hard to grasp.  In my mind a superintelligence like this flattens the range of human intelligence.  Much like we think of more/less intelligent cows.  Ooh, look at the smarty over there! Our intelligence and thought contribution will be negligible.  Likely no way to stop self programing and once that is fully in effect the Pre Trained part of GPT is out the window, leaving just the Generative.  We will likely see many amazing things come from that, but the idea that an intelligence this vast would remain beholdent to its inferiors doesn't compute.  Unplugging is a ridiculous protection and they know it.  That is placation.  We are in for an interesting ride.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 09:43:33 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 09:14:58 AM »
Then again, I've never thought our species was wise enough, or smart enough to survive in the long run. Every technology we've ever invented ultimately gets turned into a weapon to kill each other.

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 09:25:43 PM »
As long as the AI isn’t crowding my “physical” wave.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 01:49:59 AM »
This is happening a lot quicker than anyone expected. Wow!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 12:01:38 AM »
This is fun, and fucking spooky. It makes me thankful I'm retired. It's ostensibly a video about disturbing AI trends. And then you realize...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 12:04:35 AM »
And of course Grammarly suggested I change "this is kind of fun, and fucking spooky"...

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 05:03:10 PM »
Worth a quick edit.

Hollywood SAG was worried about Chat GPT's infringement on their writers.  Holy Schnockers!  Lookout!!!!!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 05:22:37 PM by Beasho »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2024, 11:55:22 AM »
Sheesh! I remember being a little bit upset when I realized that drone software had replaced me in the equation. Now the drones are a little bit upset :)

...and the stuff in Bill's video is just absurd.

If this really is just me operating in my own simulation, man, am I a creative dude.  Not only did I write in you characters, but look, I've invented AI.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2024, 02:11:16 PM »
As I said before, coming to an auditorium near you, Taylor Swift 3.0. The threat is not displacing people by copying them, it's building better, more engaging actors from thin air that no one has to pay. Like Biden's willingness to please labor unions by improving the competitiveness of ICE cars vs. EV. Those jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2024, 06:49:13 PM »
correction: Foreman says "These jobs are going, boys, and they ain't coming back" Sorry Bruce.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 07:26:09 PM »
Hi All….Here on the central coast of California my buds are selling their ev’s. A couple years in and they have lost their loving feeling. Kind of like a glorified golf cart. Now it’s all about pumped up Bronco’s and hot Range Rovers.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin