Author Topic: Swim Missiles  (Read 36224 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Swim Missiles
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2023, 03:21:25 PM »
Hard to say with such a short clip, but looks like if you just keep paddling and go for that second bump behind you, you'd have enough speed to get on foil. Use first bump to get speed up, and second bump to pop up. 

Has anyone winged these foils and given you feedback?

For sure, these clips are of at least the second or third bump in a swell train where we were still going from the lead bumps.  For us, the first one is pretty much unmakeable unless you get foamed in, because you get pulled backwards so hard (at least with the current current, see what I did there?).  It is also surprising how it wants to twist you if you have little or no forward motion.

Wing testing should start shortly.  The wind has been cranking so we have been swim focused.  There are some lighter days forecast ahead that should be in a good range for winging on these foils.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 03:23:18 PM by Admin »

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2023, 03:41:48 PM »
You could take off on those boards without paddling with a Foil Drive Assist +. It’s all about foil size, something similar to an Axis 1300 or 1150 and you would be straight up. I think it’s a great idea. Box could be placed longitudinally between your legs at the back of the board. The easy time on foil is just invaluable in getting balance and experience.
I suspect even the original 6S battery version would get you up on those slippery long boards.
Love the enthusiasm and ability to adapt by the way, inspiring.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2023, 03:50:31 PM »
Have you considered using a foil drive so you can get used to foiling in a prone position.. I’ve done it with mine and the body position on the board can vary from paddling to foiling and compromising your paddling position slightly will help once you get lift off.. Hand paddling with the throttle controller in hand is not a problem.. You can practice on flat water and is great fun and very do’able with the new foil drive Plus.

I have only tried a Lift efoil.  I was fun but it took a lot of speed (and prolonged) to take off.  That surprised me.  I am sure a lighter foil drive on the actual foil would be more similar.  How would you swim hard with the controller?  Thanks!

Efoils like the one you tried are super heavy and pretty short boards.. They push a lot of water before lift off.. It’s easy to paddle with the hand controller.. You just hold it against your hand with your thumb and this leaves the rest of your hand and fingers to paddle with.. I’ve had to paddle in many times after having used the battery up and I hold it in my hand while paddling rather than have it swing loose off the wrist strap.. Taking off and foiling doesn’t require paddling but if you do it’s just your pointer finger and thumb working the controller leaving three fingers and palm to paddle.. These controllers are much smaller than the ones used on Efoil boards.. I’ll do a short vid for you showing how I do it..
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 03:54:47 PM by DavidJohn »

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2023, 04:07:40 PM »
I think surfdocsteve (insta) modified his controller to use with his mouth.  he holds it in his mouth and uses his tongue to control it while also paddling...
https://foilsurfing.net/foil-drive-adventure/

I'll be in the gorge in a couple weeks and would love to try the foils for a quick session.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2023, 05:04:16 PM »
Cool.  Thanks guys.  Tell me what I need to order and I will get it.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2023, 06:23:32 PM »
Let Bigmtn wing these foils!

(Said in Charleton Heston Moses voice)

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2023, 07:36:23 PM »

A ticket for me to fly to Hood river and try your foils. I'll also accept Bill since he's going to be there. Honest unsponsored unbiased opinions. Well I'm not totally unbiased, because if they work then Cowboy is going to buy a printer and start making me some foils. :)

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2023, 07:46:25 PM »
Have you tried using handles mounted to the deck of the board? I think it would help initiate lift once you’re gliding on a swell and also help with pitch control while foiling.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2023, 09:21:18 PM »
Call Hi Tech and ask for Kai Penny. 
Support your local shaper

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2023, 04:03:44 AM »
Have you tried using handles mounted to the deck of the board? I think it would help initiate lift once you’re gliding on a swell and also help with pitch control while foiling.

Hi JRiggs, We miss you guys! (but have been stoked to see your progress, content and activity on your social).  Valuable stuff.

We haven't tried handles yet, but we need to now.  I am still not quite sure what to do there.  Possibly some small printed finger grips adhered to the deck near the rails.  Only concern is that when we auger, we slide off the nose. 

Thanks!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2023, 04:17:25 AM »
Call Hi Tech and ask for Kai Penny. 

LPB, does hi tech stock this kit? 

I had resisted this idea because swimming is my only sport left and I need the workout :). I had to give up biking last year which left an exercise void, but the swim foil quest more than fills that gap and has my stoke back at full force.  This idea is growing on me, though, as a testbed.  We can use our two current boards and Axis masts (or get Cedrus integrated if that is better) to set up as dedicated Foil Drive boards and use the incoming higher volume boards For swim foiling.  I am a little concerned with the low drive setup having too great an impact on angle of attack at takeoff to be useful for testing.  Better to go withthe drive higher up?  Is that warranted? 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 07:22:27 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2023, 04:25:05 AM »
You could take off on those boards without paddling with a Foil Drive Assist +. It’s all about foil size, something similar to an Axis 1300 or 1150 and you would be straight up. I think it’s a great idea. Box could be placed longitudinally between your legs at the back of the board. The easy time on foil is just invaluable in getting balance and experience.
I suspect even the original 6S battery version would get you up on those slippery long boards.
Love the enthusiasm and ability to adapt by the way, inspiring.

Thanks JC!

We are going to sell the 1300 and 1150.   I am sure those are rad for higher power sports but under our swim power those are just too much to move.  They really get spun around in the current as well which makes it very hard for us to swim at full power.  Thanks for the detailed info.  I emailed you.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2023, 04:54:17 AM »

A ticket for me to fly to Hood river and try your foils. I'll also accept Bill since he's going to be there. Honest unsponsored unbiased opinions. Well I'm not totally unbiased, because if they work then Cowboy is going to buy a printer and start making me some foils. :)

Please send resume.  Of particular interest is previous experience with 150 to 800 grit.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2023, 08:50:33 AM »
HAH! I appreciate the opportunity, but would feel dishonest if I did not disclose that I am terrible at sanding and never properly sand anything I repair. So I unfortunately must withdraw my name from the running. I do appreciate your time and consideration.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2023, 12:34:26 PM »

Hi JRiggs, We miss you guys! (but have been stoked to see your progress, content and activity on your social).  Valuable stuff.

We haven't tried handles yet, but we need to now.  I am still not quite sure what to do there.  Possibly some small printed finger grips adhered to the deck near the rails.  Only concern is that when we auger, we slide off the nose. 

Thanks!

I think the handles are a great idea, could work so well pulling up to create a pump motion while you are prone.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf