Author Topic: Johny walker & Jim Beam got nothing on Heineken  (Read 10931 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Johny walker & Jim Beam got nothing on Heineken
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2021, 09:53:27 AM »
My tip is to ‘check under the wing’ after powering into a gybe (to reduce apparent wind).
Would you elaborate this part a little more.  Thanks.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2021, 02:59:51 PM »
I'd describe a good first Heiny Gybe attempt like this:

Ride on a beam reach, heel-side, at moderate speed.  Check for downwind traffic a couple times in a row, raising the wing overhead by raising front arm, followed by rear arm and reseting.

Look for a spot to gybe where the wind isn't an obvious gusty spot.  Start turning down wind while simultaneously pulling in the rear arm slightly as you hold the wing slightly more vertical.  As you sheet in you will feel your speed increase and the pressure go neutral (if speed increase is too much for comfort, go for a normal gybe).  As soon as you feel that drop in power, repeat the 'check for downwind traffic' movement by raising your front and followed by rear hand.  Keep steady pressure on that toe-side rail.  At this point in the turn downwind, as your hands reach overhead in the umbrella position, the end of the strut should just about be pointing straight downwind (in line with the board nose - you will feel a stretch if you try this static) or slightly past downwind towards the new tack. 

As you continue turning in the next millisecond, let go with your back strut hand and do the sidearm throw motion with your lead hand.  The harder you are turning, the more the wing will feel the new wind direction and jump into its new sailing position as you bring your arm in front of your body.   Your hands will meet for a quick hand exchange on the front handle with existing hand facing palm up and the new grasping hand on the palm down position.    Your releasing palm up hand will need to flip palm down and grab the rear handle as it swings by with a bit of added momentum from the whole maneuver.(easy to miss). Maybe slowing rotation of the last part of gybe or slowing wing with the new front hand will ease that issue.  You are now on a toe-side stance beam reach where you can choose to switch feet or stay crossed up like me. 

The same gybe can be done, perhaps easier when starting in a toe-side stance because you are opening up through the rotation, rather than closing in and ending up toe-side, so maybe I should re-write this... ha. 

Still learning and only have a handful of these under my belt, but I can bet I will be doing them more than 50% of the time in the future.  Not sure if they will have any use turning onto waves, still thinking about that one (trying to think of a fluid way to get to flag out position without the handle passes)

I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2021, 06:01:10 AM »
The last gybe shown in this video (at the 1:20 mark) is done over the head like a tack but as a gybe at high speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzAD6Nze-5M
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 06:07:38 AM by deja vu »

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2021, 12:05:37 PM »
The last gybe shown in this video (at the 1:20 mark) is done over the head like a tack but as a gybe at high speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzAD6Nze-5M

Great vid,and impressive speed for that chop!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2021, 02:37:23 PM »
Exactly! The casual toss. That front hand swing around is sweet too...

Speaking about a toss, here is Johny. Apparently it works on a tack on a nuking day as well.
Pretty simple. Better avoid if you have a history of shoulder dislocation. Don't ask me how I know.

https://youtu.be/6fYIDWHLNyw
in progress...

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2021, 03:16:46 PM »
Exactly! The casual toss. That front hand swing around is sweet too...

Speaking about a toss, here is Johny. Apparently it works on a tack on a nuking day as well.
Pretty simple. Better avoid if you have a history of shoulder dislocation. Don't ask me how I know.

https://youtu.be/6fYIDWHLNyw
My god.  That's da best Johnny video yet.  Incredible how he's having a field day on the river.  Total control.  Than you for that.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2021, 06:24:16 PM »
Definitely something to model after!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2021, 10:45:02 PM »
Check out KD's gybe at 1:04
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVEYGU9F34I/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
He rotates the wing in front of himself first and then brings it round himself (with a bit of leash tangle at the end!)
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2021, 01:42:12 PM »
Why I ever ordered an ART 999, I’m not really sure.  I guess it’ll be a whole level better than what I just flew.  The HPS 1050 just impressed the shit out of me.  So much high end speed and low end glide, never dropped off at low speed.  It made tacks on both sides, heel or toe side, (I don’t switch stance) down right leisurely.  So much more time to execute because of the endless glide even into the wind.  If the ART 999 is better, I’m about to blow a gasket.  The 1050s pumpability was also very good.  Accomplished the longest down wind pumps I’ve ever had.  I have a feeling I will not be making my own gear for a while.  I will however adapt some of my current front foils to this Axis system.  So much less drag in the whole system. 
Very, very impressed!  Thanks Axis!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2021, 04:15:45 PM »
Why I ever ordered an ART 999, I’m not really sure...

Maybe you were guzzling Johny walker and getting high on Johnny Heineken while reading this thread? Probably why you posted this here ;D
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2021, 08:03:34 PM »
It will be interesting to hear what you think Peter. I find myself disappointed when conditions are better for a different wing than the 999. It's weird, I just fucking love riding the silly thing. Right now I have essentially a three-wing quiver, though I have a lot more wings. 860 for crazy days, 999 for everything but silly light, and 1150 for silly light. I'm trying to talk myself into bringing the 1300 to Maui. I doubt I'll use it but it might be cool for small wave foil surfing. Junya and Alika (spelling??) love the damned thing. I'm not so happy with it.

The frantic swell riding Johnny Heineken does is kind of par for the course in the Gorge. Arlington gets nutty, but from the white salmon bridge to above Swell city, that kind of frantic unweighting, bump turns, and swell nuttiness is what we all get up on the morning for. Of course, I haven't seen anyone do it quite like Mr. Heineken, and I damned sure don't, but that's the extreme version of pretty much every day, as Mr. burchas well knows from his many downwind rides, albeit on a downwind SUP board.

Even weirder, I keep looking at his jibe and thinking "wait, that's what I do". Is there an easier way? Maybe that's why I'm having so much trouble. I guess I need to look at what a standard jibe is. I always transfer the wing over my head, across my back.

Johnny Heineken's moves seem familiar and possible if incredibly difficult to be done so smoothly, Kane's seem otherworldly and impossible. Even his footswitch. What the fuck is that?!? It looks like he steps forward and then pivots his back foot. How does that work? When did he move his back foot backward?? Does he run out of board? Seriously, how the hell does that work?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 08:29:31 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2021, 09:14:17 PM »
Pono, glad you saw the foot switch too. It’s nearly impossible to catch that foot going back.

Someone has to get a high speed camera and shoot this guy’s moves.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM